QVIA R975WD dashcam review (Sony Exmor R, 2CH FHD, LCD, GPS, WiFi)

VIIVIIIXIII

Reaction score
Country
Canada
Dash Cam
ITB-100HD, SG9665GC, Mobius B & C2, T1, Z970WD
QVIA R975WD dashcam review (Sony Exmor R, 2CH FHD, LCD, GPS, WiFi)

Thanks to Lukas Direct for supplying this unit.

Product link: http://shop.lukasdirect.com/qvia-r975
Price: $379.00USD w/ free shipping

Review:

Up for review is the newly released QVIA R975WD dashcam. QVIA is a sister company of Lukas/Qrontech who already have a large presence in the dashcam market. QVIA is the premium line of dashcams for the company.

The R975WD features a Sony Exmor R IMX291 CMOS sensor that records in 1080p 30fps. The front camera has a 135° FOV. The rear unit from the R975WD is the same as the one included with majority of the other QVIA and Lukas dashcams. The rear unit is the LK-975 camera, featuring a Sony Exmor (non-R) IMX322 sensor that records at 1080p24fps. The rear camera has a 130° FOV.

The R975WD is a fully featured dashcam. In addition to standard functions, the R975WD includes a built-in dual band GPS mount (GPS + GLONASS), super capacitor, a 3-axis gravity/impact sensor, as well as true motion detection and parking mode (records and saves footage from 10s before and 20s after event*). The dual SD/save function allows you to set how much SD card space to allocate between regular driving vs parking mode. The microSD is reserved for redundancy where the camera will automatically duplicate and save clips identified to be events*. This unit also has a built-in low voltage and timer cut-off function (ie. built-in hardwire kit). The unit can support two 512GB memory cards, for a total of 1024GB of total saved footage.

The touchscreen integration is extremely well thought out and has a lot of utility in the R975WD. Everything can be controlled via the 3.97" LCD screen. As a 2 channel system, you can view the live feed from both cameras at the same time (in various modes like split screen, adjustable picture-in-picture, etc.). I occasionally use the live feed as an back up camera. Most importantly, the LCD allows you to control all the settings and preferences on-the-fly, such as parking mode, motion detection, dual save settings, etc.

QVIA has their own smart device app designed for WiFi pairing with their dashcam units. The app allows you to stream/delete/download footage as well as modify camera settings. Likewise, QVIA also has their own video player (Windows and OSX) for ease of viewing videos and synchronized GPS data together.

KdS7rS2h.png

Video output from the R975WD is definitely impressive in both day and night conditions, similar to other QVIA units, but definitely a step up from Lukas dashcams that I have tested. The Exmor R sensor performs very well in low light conditions; however, I did notice some flickering from the front unit. Looks like this may be an issue with the firmware and sensor adapting to changing lighting conditions (see sample clip).

Size is the only complaint that I have with the R975WD. The main unit is rather large, and the chrome faceplate doesn’t help conceal the unit either.

The R975WD is one of the most expensive units on the market at the moment, in competition with BlackVue. The base model comes with a $379USD MSRP before upgrades. That being said, the R975WD has plenty to offer when it comes down to video quality, features, reliability, and customer support/warranty.

Sample Clips:

Screenshots:

KlCpugdh.png

8dEjAw4h.png

gWTafIPh.png

jkQlAnVh.png

Photos:

AZDPU8gh.jpg

auUUeqqh.jpg

DirkSgph.jpg

Kg3s9vFh.jpg

Lkq9jS8h.jpg

EcST5yHh.jpg

UuIRQAph.jpg

PS4WeJjh.jpg

Specifications and feature list (extrapolated from LK-9370WD):

• Front camera resolution: 1920x1080p (30fps)
  • Rear camera resolution: 1920x1080p (24fps)
  • Front camera sensor: Sony Exmor R IMX291 sensor
  • Rear camera sensor: Sony IMX322 2.1MP sensor
  • LCD size: 3.97” Full Touch IPS Panel
  • LCD resolution: 800x480
  • Front camera sensitivity: 0.5 Lux
  • Rear camera sensitivity: 0.5 Lux
  • 802.11 b/g/n built-in Wi-Fi
  • 43mm UV filter (basic)
  • Built-in dual memory card slots (SD + microSD): up to 512GB each
  • Dual save function (Driving + Event, Parking + Event)
  • Built-in dual band GPS: GPS + GLONASS
  • Front camera viewing angle: 135°
  • Rear camera viewing angles: 130°
  • 21 multi-language support
  • Operating Temperature: -20°C ~ 70°C
  • Storage Temperature: -30°C ~ 80°C
  • OBDII compatibility
  • Current Consumption: DC 9V~24V, 340mA (4.5W)
  • Video compression: H.264 (AVI format)
  • Built-in 3-axis Gravity/Impact sensor
  • Motion detection mode
  • Pre-buffered parking mode
  • Manual and automatic format function
  • Built-in super capacitor
  • Built-in microphone and speaker
  • Built-in low voltage (set between 11.8V~12.4V) and timer cut-off function
  • Built-in dual colour security LED
  • Multi-booting (ON/ACC/OFF) system
  • Audio assistance (Voice Guidance) Multi-language supported
Box contents:
  • FHD Front camera (built-in WiFi and GPS, UV filter pre-installed)
  • FHD Rear camera
  • Front and rear connector cable
  • Hardwire power cable
  • Standard 8GB full size SD card (max. 512GB)
  • Standard 8GB microSD w/ microSD card adapter (max. 512GB)
  • Fixed slider type bracket set
  • 3M adhesive pads
  • Cable management clips
  • User Manual
Optional accessories:
  • LK-150 External Rearview Camera
  • Rotating type mounting bracket
  • CPL filter (UV filter is included)
  • Cigarette outlet power cable (hardwire kit is included)
  • OBDII connector

Last edited:
How about the bitrates ? still moderate on the new Lukas.

Otherwise it do look like a lot of bang for the buck, but with a few drawbacks for the users that prefer a more stealthy setup.

A few things i dont undestand about the lukas cameras.

1. why micro SD + SD, why not SD + SD in such a large main unit. ( but 2 x 512 Gb is nice )
2. still don't get the supplied UV filter, CPL would be much more needed.

Like:
GPS + GLONASS
IMX291
OBD

How about the bitrates ? still moderate on the new Lukas.

Otherwise it do look like a lot of bang for the buck, but with a few drawbacks for the users that prefer a more stealthy setup.

A few things i dont undestand about the lukas cameras.

1. why micro SD + SD, why not SD + SD in such a large main unit. ( but 2 x 512 Gb is nice )
2. still don't get the supplied UV filter, CPL would be much more needed.

Like:
GPS + GLONASS
IMX291
OBD

Bitrate is 10-11 mbps in the front and 6-7 mbps in the rear. It's a great performer, but lots of things that they could change to make this more appealing for the NA market. Their new AR790WD looks promising, I hope to get my hands on one in the near future.

anyone else using this or the R935? I can't get the app working. It's all in Korean and when I hit the settings button I get an error message on my Marshmellow Android phone.

Back