QVIA T790 Review

tsouzee

Reaction score
Country
United States
I received a lot of help on this forum when researching, so I figured a review would pay it back. I purchased my QVIA T790 from Robert at lukasdirect.com, who was extremely helpful and answered all of my questions (more than you can imagine). Thanks Robert.

Anyway, this is my first dashcam ever, so I have nothing to compare it to. Feel free to let me know what you think by looking at the video clips I uploaded.

Overall, I have not had issues getting my phone connected to the camera via Wi-FI with the QVIA app (I have a Motorola X android device). On a few occasions it was laggy, but nothing major. Viewing videos from the phone directly is a bit laggy also , but I have been throwing the microSD card into my PC to view, which I like much better. Formatting the card and updating settings via the app/phone is very convenient.

I have the camera set to High resolution (there is Low, High and Very High). My volume is on the lowest setting, and even though my G sensor is on the least sensitive mode during driving mode, I still trigger an event by hitting road bumps. The motion detection is also very sensitive. It basically always records an while in parking mode, even though it is on the least sensitive setting. I am going to try turning motion detection off and G-sensor to most sensitive while parked and see how it records if I gently bump the car.

The mount it came with was clear, but it showed too much in my opinion so I sprayed it black with Plast-Dip. I also purchased black #m tape to blend into the windshield better, and covered the lettering on the dashcam with a piece of black vinyl tape. Looks very discreet now.

Here are links to some video. It's been very cloudy the past week so I pulled up two event videos to show sunny and night weather.

could you upload the raw file into internet ? thanks :)

What do you mean by raw file? I pulled the video clips from the microSD and uploaded them. Is there another option?

What do you mean by raw file? I pulled the video clips from the microSD and uploaded them. Is there another option?

YouTube compresses the videos heavily, if you upload the same files to a file host others can download and have a look at the original videos

Can you recommend a file host? I never uploaded video before. This was my first YouTube upload as well.

Dont you mean High bitrate ?

Maybe. The camera has three modes (low, high, highest). I think you're right. It's bitrate. I left it in the default. I'm assuming if I put it on highest the clarity would be better, but the recordings would use more space?

Yes higher bitrate = larger files.

But as long as files don't get stupid large then it don't matter much as the old footage just get deleted to make room for new footage in case the memory card is full.
3 - 400 MB for a 3 minute file is pretty common for most dashcams, on my joovuu x cam i can put on custom firmware that will give me 45 mbit bitrate, ( normally 18 mbit bitrate ) but then my 3 minute recordings explode to almost 1000 MB in size, and that's just ridiculous.

How do you play a video back with the phone. I could not get live video to play or stream from the SD card. It seems like it was trying to use Chrome to download and play the video file.

[EDIT]
OK, I got LIVE video to play by upgrading firmware to 1.7 and going to information->Using Other Media Player and setting that to off. Then Settings->Video->Cell Phone Media Player to Off. I still cannot seem to play stored videos on the phone though.
[/EDIT]

Last edited:
I've only tried to play videos on the phone a couple of times while hooked up through wi-fi. It worked ok but was a little laggy (I have an Android). I prefer using my PC. It's much quicker.

Back