R22.5 video

Bubz

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Just recorded some sample videos while stationery in a car park with the the latest firmware version (R22.5) to check the quality of the front camera with and without the rear camera. I appear to have discovered a strange effect. Both 1080P and 1440P files with the rear camera disconnected seem to have some sort of wavy effect when played back but the 1080P with the rear camera connected appears not to suffer with this problem. I've just been out again recently with a formatted SD card and gave it another go but the same effect was recorded.

I have rolled back to R21.6 so I will try again with the old firmware to see if the effect has gone. I haven't noticed this problem before and I've got an eye for detail so sure I would have noticed it before.

I have uploaded the files to my Google Drive for others to view and see if they have the same problem. I'll report back later with an update toR21.6.

1080P (Rear camera connected)
https://drive.google.com/open?id=1L0URm8pquna1BESoXpooLIVbeb671Jvg

1440P (Rear camera disconnected)
https://drive.google.com/open?id=136uOMAAC0WC3V71xE9a6X5F_yOQ4kpBx

1080P (Rear camera disconnected)
https://drive.google.com/open?id=1lG4_JY4oLfkI_BJLEkON2IQCJbk1n-wp

I'll update over the weekend and see if I can replicate.

Just reviewed footage in the same modes as before but with R21.6 firmware and there was no strange wavy effect on any of the videos.

I'll see if anyone else experiences this problem then get in contact with Nextbase.

Just reviewed footage in the same modes as before but with R21.6 firmware and there was no strange wavy effect on any of the videos.

I'll see if anyone else experiences this problem then get in contact with Nextbase.
That is very odd.

On a positive note, your 1080p footage with the rear camera connected looks very good to me so can we assume that firmware 22.5 has improved the quality when both cameras are connected.

If so credit to Nextbase as they appear to be on the case.

Also just a thought, if possible so we can compare like for like can you park up in the same location when you repeat your tests with the 21.6 firmware and upload the results.

Apart from the wavy effect I would have liked to have been able to compare the resolution from the front camera when using 21.6 firmware. The fact that there are lots of car number plates at varying distances and the shop signage in the background is a useful aid to judge the sharpness of the footage.

I appreciate I may be asking a lot but just thought it may a useful test.

That is very odd.

On a positive note, your 1080p footage with the rear camera connected looks very good to me so can we assume that firmware 22.5 has improved the quality when both cameras are connected.

If so credit to Nextbase as they appear to be on the case.

Also just a thought, if possible so we can compare like for like can you park up in the same location when you repeat your tests with the 21.6 firmware and upload the results.

Apart from the wavy effect I would have liked to have been able to compare the resolution from the front camera when using 21.6 firmware. The fact that there are lots of car number plates at varying distances and the shop signage in the background is a useful aid to judge the sharpness of the footage.

I appreciate I may be asking a lot but just thought it may a useful test.

I'm off on holiday tomorrow but I'll look at doing a comparison on my return. I used the car park on purpose for that reason to check the quality using registration plates at different distances.

I've kept R21.6 on the cam for the time being so I'll have another SD card with R22.5 on me to swap over and update so the footage will be a direct comparison.

I'm off on holiday tomorrow but I'll look at doing a comparison on my return. I used the car park on purpose for that reason to check the quality using registration plates at different distances.

I've kept R21.6 on the cam for the time being so I'll have another SD card with R22.5 on me to swap over and update so the footage will be a direct comparison.
Sounds good, thanks. :)

There should an improvement with the latest version of firmware, we're also still working on improving this but wanted to release something in the mean time.

I can concur with above. Just streaming to my phone I can tell the quality is a marked improvement. I can pause and read close number plates. Before I could not with the rear camera plugged in.

How do you stream to your phone?
I can concur with above. Just streaming to my phone I can tell the quality is a marked improvement. I can pause and read close number plates. Before I could not with the rear camera plugged in.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Ah. Ive got the app, but didnt think to use it "live"

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Might the wavy effect be due to a slight camera shake as my 512GW does that even on BOTH versions of the Firmware??

The "wavy lines" looks more like an exaggerated image stabilisation. I can get a similar effect on my Garmin sports camera, although the IS can be turned off on the Garmin within the settings menu.

It's definitely not camera shake, the engine was off and no movement in the car. The problem occurred on several tests only when the rear camera was disconnected.

I'm going to perform a few more tests to compare the video quality on both firmware with and without the rear camera connected.

I have finally got around to fitting my camera but without the rear camera and I agree, I also occasionally notice a slight up and down movement to the recorded video when stationary.

Although, to be honest it’s only slight and it doesn’t happen all the time.

It looks to be some form of video stabilization and to be honest when you are on the move it doesn’t cause a problem. It may even be helping and doing its job of counteracting the natural movement of the car.

Thanks, it would be useful if you could carry out a few more tests and it will be interesting to see your results. (y)

Also, I may be pushing my look but unfortunately I haven’t got a rear camera so could you please check the following details to see if any change when you connect the rear camera. In particular look to see if the bitrate or data rate change.

If you look at the 1080p HI.MOV file properties under the details tab it shows the following for a 3 min recording.

Frame width 1920

Frame height 1080

Data rate 14745 kbps

Total bitrate 15257 kbps.

Frame rate 30.00 frames/second

File size 336 Mb

Last edited:
Back