RAC 03 Mirror Dash Cam

TheRookie

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Dash Cam
AllWinner A10 Mirror, Aiptel GS 372 (Papago), Cowon AW1
This is the new dash cam marketed by RAC in the UK.
This is also the first mirror dash cam I've seen that got SHD resolution.

http://www.racshop.co.uk/sat-navs-t...ac-03-super-hd-rear-view-mirror-dash-cam.html

The specs are:

Dimensions: 32 x 3 x 8.55cm
Battery life: 20 minutes
Weight: 0.447kg
Screen Size: 4.3" TFT LCD (1440 x 272)
Field of vision: 150°
Built-in GPS Tracking: Yes
Speed Camera Alerts: Yes
Lifetime Camera Updates: Yes
Recording Quality: 2340 x 1296 Super HD
Memory Card: 8GB included - supports up to 64GB microSD class 6 to 10
Parking Mode: Yes
Enhanced Night Vision: Yes
Photo Mode: Yes
Google Map Support: Yes
Lens: 6G + 1IR lens
G Sensor: Yes
SOS Data Protection: Yes
Mount Detection: Yes
360° Cradle: N/a
Forward Collision Warning: Yes
Lane Departure Warning: Yes
File Locking: Yes
Loop Recording: Yes
Sensor: 4 megapixels
Image Resolution: 16 megapixels
Video Format: H.264
SOS Recording: Yes
Distortion Correction: Real Time Geometric Distortion Correction (de-warp) Filter
Low Light Warning: Yes
Tone Mapping: Yes

No idea on what some of these mean (Google Map Support? Mount Detection? Tone Mapping?) but the overall spec seems to be pretty good.

says it supports speed cam alerts which might be good news for others that were looking for a UK speed cam database, I know @petepete has been looking into getting this working

its just got the usual problem....

At 32cm wide you cant use your sun visors as they bash into it - doh :D:D:D:D:D

I have the uk file, its just I don't know how to convert it to the street storms crazy system, but I have a workaround ;)

I have fitted and hardwired my satnav in so I don't have to unravel the wire and use the sucker.

I am a big fan of a screen instead of a mirror and use one with 2 inputs I can switch between from low mount reverse cam to high mount dashcam avoiding being dazzled at night.

Its a much neater solution than a dashcam dangling on a window but no one seems to grasp the fact they don't need to be the size and shape of a ship !

So they are licensing the name from RAC? Interesting, didn't know that.

Do you know if they are real manufacturers or is it yet another Chinese rebadge?

So they are licensing the name from RAC? Interesting, didn't know that.

I don't know what the license arrangement is, I have met the guys from Proofcam earlier this year and their business cards have the RAC logo on them, they have some sort of arrangement in place, they did talk about that at the time but I don't recall the specifics of it all

Do you know if they are real manufacturers or is it yet another Chinese rebadge?

The other cameras they list are generic models so I would guess these are the same, from what I understand they do get some changes made to suit their needs though so they may not be exactly the same as the Chinese version it may originate from

Had a chat with Proofcam on whether this model is supporting reverse camera.
The response is: it does NOT.

They've said, however, that there will be another model around Q2 2016 time and that shall support dual camera (including reverse) functionality,

They've said, however, that there will be another model around Q2 2016 time and that shall support dual camera (including reverse) functionality,

they're out there already so a logical progression for them to add one with this function I guess

I've been looking at the RAC03 and I think for right hand drive cars there could be a problem. As the camera is on the left hand side of the existing mirror and the way the mirror is angled I think there is a chance that a good portion of the field of view of the camera good be blocked out by the side of the existing mirror and the existing mirror mount. Some cars will be worse than others due to varying thicknesses of existing mirrors from car to car and other permanent obstructions in the centre of the windscreen. The obvious advantage about a free standing camera is that it can be placed anywhere and not limited to one fixed spot. I asked proofcam a question about this issue in bold below and what they replied is in italics.

3) I have a right hand side drive car(Jaguar XK and Ford focus 2008 Zetec). Will the existing rear view mirror get it the way of the field of view of the camera and will the camera be able to point into the middle of the road?

It fits over the existing rear view mirror and the lens is at the edge of the camera facing out. It records with 150 degree angle so covers all the road ahead, and the lens is also adjustable as it can be swiveled.

To bring up an old thread I bought one of these. Yes the camera position is a problem for right hand drive vehicles. The adjustment on the lens isn't enough to give enough of a view of the right hand side of the road but as noted above as it is part of the the top right hand side of the image is blocked by your mirror mounting, this I guess is more of a problem on some cars than others. Mine has the rain sensor built into the mirror mounting so is larger than some. It's difficult in my vehicle to capture the image you want whilst still being able to see what you need to in the mirror. I've adjusted my seat to try and accommodate the camera but I'm not sure that it's practical long term. The safety camera warning sound isn't loud enough for me to hear it over radio (my problem as I like the radio reasonably loud). The idea's great but in reality not suited to right hand drive vehicles. I tried it upside down for a few days, this gives better coverage of the right hand lane whilst allowing the rear view mirror to be set in a position that suits how I like my seat adjusted but camera warnings are inverted and the footage player software doesn't allow you to rotate the video (Quicktime does a great job of this but you don't get the GPS data). Maybe a more universal design would have been to make the mirror smaller but deeper and put the camera underneath.

I need the firmware update to stop it beeping at 70mph but it’s been deleted on site and I can’t get it. If anyone still has it please sent to donnyvfr10@gmail.com
Cheers

Back