Radar for dashCamera

Matt_V939

Reaction score
Country
Taiwan, Province Of China
Dash Cam
Mobius1&Mini,A118C+A119V2,(Fake)DODL500, YI,GP3,One X,Go
Radar can see through windows, so internal is fine.

It will not technically be radar, they don’t normally measure range and direction, but they do use similar microwave frequencies to detect movement. The correct description is microwave proximity sensor.

Their dashcam use case sounds a lot like the video buffering that all good dashcams already do.

I don't see what their "radar" adds in terms of capability that G sensors and buffered video don't already provide.

I see 'radar' as being a more perfect 'motion detect' replacement where things like passing clouds and trees or bushes swaying in the wind don't trigger recording. G-sensor alone doesn't protect against vandalizing like painting or keying so it's not perfect either. But none of this seems to have been developed to the point where every cam does it well enough to be useful for everyone, so until that point I think 'low-bitrate' is the better parking mode to be using. And when all these do reach perfect development, 'radar' will take the lead and be the way to go.

Phil

It is a matter of the power use when active and buffering, i think it is the same reason you see much longer parking guard times with the Thinkware U1000 + the additional radar unit.

I remember @Nigel testing a radar-equipped cam which drew very little power and was also very good at recording only the right things. But it took like 30 6 seconds to activate :eek: so it was kind of useless :cry:

Phil

Last edited:
I remember @Nigel testing a radar-equipped cam which drew very little power and was also very good at recording only the right things. But it took like 30 seconds to activate :eek: so it was kind of useless :cry:

Phil
I think it was 6 seconds to wake up, not 30, but still useless, especially if the approaching car was doing 30mph, in which case it would have collided long before recording started, since the detection range was about 10 meters.

And when all these do reach perfect development, 'radar' will take the lead and be the way to go.
Radar sensor (microwave proximity sensors) are very good, and require very little power, so yes they are the way to go. Trouble is nobody has yet implemented one on a dashcam that works sensibly!

It is a matter of the power use when active and buffering, i think it is the same reason you see much longer parking guard times with the Thinkware U1000 + the additional radar unit.
As I understand it, the U1000 in radar mode (low power parking mode) is normally asleep using a tiny amount of power, and gets wakened by the radar sensor and then starts buffering. If there is then a collision detected by the g-sensor then the buffer is recorded, otherwise it goes back to sleep without recording. It is sort of a good system except that if it detects a car about to hit your car then it is not going to wake up and start buffering fast enough, except in a car park with everybody driving exceptionally slowly, and if it is a human that hits your car, maybe one with a shopping trolley, apparently the U1000 radar doesn't detect humans!

The Vantrue radar detected humans fine, but it also spent its night spotting cats, and recording every one of them!

I'm sure it can be made to work well, just nobody has done it yet...

Make a jammer insta stop a self driving car

Make a jammer insta stop a self driving car
Could be done, but tossing a large empty cardboard box in it's way should work- a human would see it's empty and know it's safe to drive through, but automotive-sized computers ain't that smart yet and probably won't be for awhile :ROFLMAO: Or you could divert the car into a flashing red or blue light, something which Tesla's seem to do well at all by themselves already :eek:

Edited my post after Nigel's response. Dashcams never seem to get everything right in one unit even if someone does get something right in a different one proving it can be done, just doesn't seem to be in the cards :(

Phil

Could be done, but tossing a large empty cardboard box in it's way should work- a human would see it's empty and know it's safe to drive through, but automotive-sized computers ain't that smart yet ...
just remember in my teenager years a friend of mine drove through a paper bag with his moped....only to find out there was a stone inside it. Thus human might be not that smart too (he ended up breaking is arm or collarbone, don't remember exactly)

My friend drove on his moped thru several large glass windows at his school, just to let them know he had a bad time there too like i had in my school.
He nearly died from blood loss and still have the scars to prove it.

I guess jumping in front won't work anyway:

Article says they already reached a settlement- in under 10 days :cautious: Couldn't have been small change; for sure Uber doesn't want any legal precedents set about self-driving liabilities.

In past times here in SC USA a driver who hit pedestrians and cyclists crossing the road could be sure to be found liable, but now the law specifies where crossing is permissible and how it is to be done, and anyone doing it wrong is determined to be the guilty party and liable for damages ;) Same goes for people wealking on the road who get run down.

Had this been here, since the woman crossed away from an intersection when one was nearby it would have been her fault and Uber wouldn't have settled, but collected instead.

Phil

You better not touch a pedestrian or cyclist with your car in Denmark,,,,,, not for the risk of a massive financial loss from a lawsuit, but you will probably have to retake your driving test.
And i am not doing that without a fight ( idiot pedestrians and cyclists ) so i got into dashcams.

But you cant really get to a place where you have to pay a small fortune to the person harmed, your insurance might have to cough up a little, otherwise the great benevolent state "take care" of everything.
TBH i would rather risk being sued and bled dry several times over, but thats of course the Texan living deep inside of me speaking.

Rules of the road apply to all road users. If everyone follows them, everyone gets to their destination safely and quickly :) Being a pedestrian, cyclist, or BMW driver does NOT excuse you from following the rules :cautious:

Self-driving technology just isn't ready yet, and I seriously doubt that it will reach the level of a good attentive driver for at least another 5-10 years.

Phil

Last edited:
Self-driving technology just isn't ready yet, and I seriously doubt that it will reach the level of a good attentive driver for at least another 5-10 years.
IMO you're being quite optimistic. Way too many variables that have to be considered in the programming that human drivers (should) instinctively know and react to without conscious thought.

IMO you're being quite optimistic. Way too many variables that have to be considered in the programming that human drivers (should) instinctively know and react to without conscious thought.
I would tend to agree but "Moore's law" seems to make things happen faster than I once believed possible. Steering back to topic, one of the things I've wondered about with self-driving technology is active interference from other cars radar/lidar transmitters. Also with the effects of signal reflection which is plain crazy at the high radar frequencies being used. I think once enough of these get on the road we might be seeing issues with this. Another overlooked aspect is system redundancy. Airbus airliners have 3 computer systems to keep the plane flying in case one goes wrong, and these cross-check with each other to detect problems, switching to backups as may be necessary. We've already seen instances of Tesla's crashing when 'autopilot' switched off and the 'driver' didn't immediately take control as they were supposed to do, so what happens with self-drivers when the system suddenly fails without a driver? Will the car panic-stop? What if it's at the end of a curve where steering input is needed to keep the car on the road? What if it's shown that your dashcam's 'radar' interfered with a self-driving car' causing it to crash- can you be held responsible for the resulting deaths even when you were miles away? There's definitely a huge amount of things going on and the loss of reliable 'radar' could be enough to set off a catastrophe. The legal ramifications are far from being worked out for self-driving too. Are we going to accept monetary penalties for a corporation being proper where a human would have received a long jail term for the same improper action?

I can see lots and lots of issues coming from the march of technology, some of which are going to change large parts of how law is administered. There are safety limits to how much RF emissions a human body can tolerate, so with enough dashcam 'radar;' going on in a parking lot that limit could be exceeded- now who's at fault? Who could have stopped this forseeable harmful event but didn't? Was it the dashcammer parking or the cellphone user answering a call who pushed things over the limit? I'm not a "luddite"; I use and appreciaye a fair amount of technology seeing it's advantages. I just see it's "dark side" whereas most folks have lost that view as they instead focus only on how dazzling it seems to be. Even dashcam 'radar' goes to depths generally unseen, and one day we will pay a price for not seeing all that what we should have with it and everything else.

Phil

Last edited:
Driving off wheel in ones self driving car, i would for sure wear the belt in preparation for the car slamming the brake as some "soft road user" do something stupid.

I would be okay if self driving was just limited to highways and motorways, where you dont find or at least shouldent find very many pedestrians or cyclists ( completely disregarding insane Russian 4 lane highways / motorways that they just put a pedestrian cross walk across and expect drivers to notice that )

Here there are works in progress in regard to some roadside signs, not least the cancel signs ( white with black stripes thru it that cancel all previous signs, or if it have a number as a background cancle a precious speed limit )

Cancel all previous signs. ( road works / lower speed zone ASO not general speeds of course )

iu

So you could see that sign at the end of road works, but some times not paired with another sign, which is the problem.
If it is in a town some times it is paired with the small town sign, telling you that you are in a town and so the default speed is 50 kmh.
Then again there are also roads in towns here with higher speeds ( 60 / 70 kmh ) but i cant recall seeing the cancel sign + a new speed sign, and so both me and a self driving car would have a hard time knowing what the sped limit is.

Though my sisters Hyundai car do handle these cancel signs well.

I think they will ditch those cancel signs, and just pout up a sign telling what to do,

It is also see now where you can see the cancel sign, and then 10 M behind it a new sign with the speed limit, but that is kind of a waste of signs.

Other end signs.

End overtake ban for trucks.

iu

End speed limit.
iu

ASO.

Back