Radio interference from camera mounted in rear window

Bazzza

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
The camera mounted in my rear window creates interference which renders my FM Radio virtually useless. I have mounted the camera as far away from the in-window antenna as possible but the problem remains. I have a choice, no camera or no radio. Has anyone managed to solve this problem? Camera is fed from rear seat lighter socket.

Try a different power adapter
I have a RavPower supply which I use to power the cameras when parked in vulnerable areas. I'll give that a go but isn't the problem that my radio aerial, which is mounted in the rear window, is picking up RF from the camera?

Or add an rf choke (helicoil) to the existing one.
Sorry, don't understand. I thought a Helicoil was a thread insert. Problem is that my brainis mechanical, not electrical.

Sorry, don't understand. I thought a Helicoil was a thread insert. Problem is that my brainis mechanical, not electrical.
Sorry, you're right... There's a little clip-on magnet you can use to help mitigate this sort of interference but I'm drawing a blank on its proper name right now. Probably mentioned in dt mi's thread above.

Sorry, you're right... There's a little clip-on magnet you can use to help mitigate this sort of interference but I'm drawing a blank on its proper name right now. Probably mentioned in dt mi's thread above.

The thing you're referring to is called a "ferrite choke" or "ferrite bead." See Wikipedia for more info & pictures. It should indeed help reduce interference, provided that you place it appropriately...which could take a little trial-and-error if you're unsure whether the power supply or camera itself is causing the interference.

These "chokes" are readily available on Amazon or eBay in a snap-together form (~$1 each); you'll just need to measure the diameter of your power cable -- if the cable is too loose inside the ferrite choke, it won't be very effective in reducing interference. (FWIW, I'm an electrical engineer :D)

The thing you're referring to is called a "ferrite choke" or "ferrite bead." See Wikipedia for more info & pictures. It should indeed help reduce interference, provided that you place it appropriately...which could take a little trial-and-error if you're unsure whether the power supply or camera itself is causing the interference.

These "chokes" are readily available on Amazon or eBay in a snap-together form (~$1 each); you'll just need to measure the diameter of your power cable -- if the cable is too loose inside the ferrite choke, it won't be very effective in reducing interference. (FWIW, I'm an electrical engineer :D)
I have moved the camera as far away from the aerial in the window as possible, i.e. right down the bottom. The picture from the camera is still acceptable and the interference is (almost) non-existent and also acceptable. i'll see what it's like when I drive in an area where the radio signal is not as strong, but for now the problem is solved. Thanks for all the advice guys.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
P A118 (B40) 2
M A118 (B40) 14
B A118 (B40) 3
T A118 (B40) 21
H A118 (B40) 41
Back