Radio Interference

Steve698

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Just fitted my Viofo A129 duo and the cams are working great but since the install our DAB radio is constantly dropping it's signal and showing "no reception" then it comes back on for a while before repeating the behavior. The cams are wired in the usual fashion. across to the A pillar tucked into the headliner. down the A pillar to the fusebox where they are connected with Add-a-fuse. The rear cam goes from A pillar to B pillar. across to the tailgate then through the rubber gator to the rear screen (nothing unusual) Anyone know how to remedy this interference problem ? and why are the cables not sheathed to prevent this ?

Aaa the DAB issue, we have seen this often with dashcams, what you want is to keep camera wires far from DAB antenna / antenna wire, which can be a problem to figure out where it is located in the car.
Personally i don't even use FM

Aaa the DAB issue, we have seen this often with dashcams, what you want is to keep camera wires far from DAB antenna / antenna wire, which can be a problem to figure out where it is located in the car.
Personally i don't even use FM
Well exactly - without stripping the car down to it's component parts how can you know where the antenna cable is. Also the antenna itself is on the roof in the centre of the car towards the tailgate and a rear cam has to be somewhere near that.

P.S. what is wrong with shielded cables ?

Ok been doing some online research and am going to do some testing tomorrow to try to cure this. Seems a lot of people mention ferrite cores as being worth a try (so I will) but when they say to place them as close to the cam as possible does that mean the front cam that powers the rear cam or the rear cam itself ?

I think thats the rear camera, often the DAB antenna are out back
Some also move the camera wire to the other side of the vehicle ASO, really its a mess this stuff, and you cant even say well thats just cheap cameras that do that.

Also the antenna itself is on the roof in the centre of the car towards the tailgate and a rear cam has to be somewhere near that.
The shark fin antenna is unlikely to be a DAB antenna, A DAB antenna is too long to fit in there, that is normally for high frequency stuff like mobile/gps/traffic info.

The DAB antenna is normally on or in the windshield or tailgate looking like a heater wire. Or a proper whip antenna on the roof if you have a decent system, but that is unlikely since you are having issues.

On mine the DAB antenna is the same as the rear window de-icer.... The dab radio worked fine even after running the wires the usual route to back of car, but as soon as I stuck my dash cam on the back window, that's when I lost my dab radio signal..

Try running the front/rear connecting cable on the other side. We had this exact issue, tried ferrite chokes, didn't work, then ran the cable on the other side, and it worked.

After 4 years of bad DAB radio signal interference, caused by the rear camera (a Lukas 9750 Duo set up), I finally achieved a good solution by mounting the camera a couple of inches above the base of the rear screen instead of at the top. This also kept the cable away from the area of the car’s shark fin aerial by leading it down one side of the rear window. The car is a hatchback BMW 4 Series Gran Coupe. The cable is more visible where it jumps the gap at the side of the hatch (and I should really try and find a better route) but the DAB reception is totally restored - easily tested by plugging/unplugging the rear cable at the front camera as you drive along (passenger actioned, of course).

I originally tried fitting chokes to both ends of the cable and also routing the rear camera cable down the opposite side of the car, but neither method gave any noticeable improvement.

I am about to buy an SG9663DCPRO and hope that its cables are a little better shielded than my, now failing, Lukas unit with its inoperative LCD screen.

I am about to buy an SG9663DCPRO and hope that its cables are a little better shielded than my, now failing, Lukas unit with its inoperative LCD screen.
it's likely the camera that interferes with your DAB and not the actual cable, the cable can act like an antenna and carry the signal but it's the camera that is normally the cause

it's likely the camera that interferes with your DAB and not the actual cable, the cable can act like an antenna and carry the signal but it's the camera that is normally the cause
Many thanks for your speedy reply - gives me a good feeling about my prospective purchase from SG. When I get it I’ll try placing the SG rear camera back at the top of the rear windscreen (best location for view). I’ll let you know what happens. Just this instant trying to decide whether to buy the SG unit via Amazon.co.uk or HINIKO directly?

Check with @niko as it can normally be done cheaper directly, instead of paying fees to Amazon can discount that off the price of a direct purchase

Many thanks for your speedy reply - gives me a good feeling about my prospective purchase from SG. When I get it I’ll try placing the SG rear camera back at the top of the rear windscreen (best location for view). I’ll let you know what happens. Just this instant trying to decide whether to buy the SG unit via Amazon.co.uk or HINIKO directly?
PM me when you will be ready to buy and I'll look after you.

Sent from my VKY-L29 using Tapatalk

I recently installed both a DAB head unit along with an amplified DAB antenna, and the A129. Antenna is installed in the roof at the rear near the tailgate. I ran the antenna cables down the passenger side of the car. The camera cable I put down the driver's side, then across past the DAB aerial wire and through the rubber gaiter thingy to the tailgate.

I found that driving through certain locations made DAB reception fall off. Having heard about the possibility of rear cams interfering with DAB I unplugged the rear camera in such a location and the reception didn't change - in that it returned and went off again. Therefore as far as I'm aware I have zero issues with reception due to the rear cam.

Hi, Just in case you didn't see my recent post/experience:

Back