Rally Car Action Camera

Ross

Reaction score
Country
Australia
Hello.
I have had a previous post without as many questions.

My wish list for an action camera for use in my rally car.
1/ 4k is not a need
2/ To record audio from the AUX output from this intercom:-

http://peltorcomms.3m.com/world/Product.asp?PageNumber=924&Product_Id=294&ProductCategory_Id=28

3/ Remote Control
4/ Record video and charge battery at the same time. e.g. power from a USB cable from the battery in the car.
5/ 3M stick on mount with slide quick release.
6/ WiFi fine but not an issue
7/ Touch style rear screen to change settings if needed maybe. A screen to watch playback would be ok.
8/ 180 degree rotation in camera if camera is mounted upside down
I had an Action camera AEE SD21 MagiCam Outdoor Edition that was advertised as supporting external mic, it does not. Great camera but the no ext mic is a negative.
Righto.
Cheers
Ross

You would want something that can record in a high bitrate for sure, or the camera would just choke on the massive amounts of data it have to process as you blast thru the landscape.
No fun having video if it look like minecraft rally ( blocky )

I am not totally sure you can connect the Audio out from the intercom ( which i assume are a regular audio out ) to a MIC in on a camera, at the least the intercoms line out better be a un - amplified line i think.

It seem like the new SJ8 pro have a issue with their external microphone, in that when plugged in both camera and external MIC will get recorded, unsure if thats on separate mono channels ( R & L channel )
If that was the case you could just mute the channel with the camera microphone, and maybe copy the channel with the intercom to be on both R & L speaker.
Also the SJ8 pro use USB C for input so you would have to buy their external MIC and then chop it up so you can put a mini jack or what ever your intercom have instead of the microphone.

Hello. I had an AEE SD21
http://www.aee-cameras.com/product/magicam/aee-sd21-magicam-outdoor-edition.html
Following is a video, the sound is from the built-in mic. The SD21 was bought as the advertising brochure had said 'supports external mic'. It didn't!! I had it wired to a battery through a usb car charger and was really happy, except for the external mic drama. Then I rolled the car into a creek and the camera was flooded.
I am considering a Gitup 2 maybe.
Cheers
Ross

I am considering a Gitup 2 maybe.
Cheers
Ross
The Gitup 2 will do external stereo mic so you can have your intercom plus the car noise on separate channels. There are not many other cameras which do and some of the ones that claim to do so don't seem to work, including the SJCAMs as mentioned by Kamkar1.

The Gitup G3 apparently has an update coming with stereo sound, I guess that would also work and has better image quality than the Git2, I would choose it over the Git2 based on image quality but haven't heard the sound quality from the update. You would need to make sure you get the updated version, and I don't know when it will be available, you could PM @gitup to find out.

If you were to record the audio on a separate device then there would be many more options.

Back