Random beeps

Looks like the High Endurance is out of stock on amazon

Max Endurance seems to be in stock not many reviews but they seem good looks like I may get that then.

Just to confirms this one of the SD cards? https://www.amazon.com/gp/B084CJJRBW
Also seeing the price is the same for the 512 Samsung would recommend getting more storage since I do use parking mode or better to get the Sandisk?

Samsung one?
https://www.amazon.com/gp/B0887CHVFF

Order from Sandisk.com.... Never buy memory cards from Amazon! Way the hell to many Chinese Knockoffs and fakes for my liking. Big Box them or Direct from Manufacturer.

All but one of my cards came from Amazon and I've never had a problem with them, but I always buy direct from the card manufacturer's store or when fulfilled and shipped by Amazon- NO private sellers. The one card I got elsewhere came from the biggest and oldest local computer store and the geeks there don't mess around with crap- only good stuff.

Phil

All but one of my cards came from Amazon and I've never had a problem with them, but I always buy direct from the card manufacturer's store or when fulfilled and shipped by Amazon- NO private sellers. The one card I got elsewhere came from the biggest and oldest local computer store and the geeks there don't mess around with crap- only good stuff.

Phil

The problem is that even card manufacturer's stores aren't immune from fakes on Amazon. While I am not sure a frequent event, I have read stories where fake merchandise has gotten mixed into legitimate product. It's probably rare, but happens.

The last thing I want to take chances on is saving a a little money and possibly ending up with a fake card. I want 100% certainty the card is real. I've had 3 incidences occur since I have delved into the world of Dash Cameras.

1. A person backed into my car, while I was stopped, and it was caught on camera
2. I had flying debris from opposite side of freeway / highway fly and hit my car. Causing some damage
3. I was rear ended

I don't ever want to be in a situation where I say, Damn, I had the equipment and it malfunctioned. As there's that saying whenever you need something, that's when it always fails to work.

Test it when you get it, regardless of the source.

Good point. But so many people buy things and assume they are legit, when ordering from a reputable source. People don't expect to get fakes from Amazon. When in fact, the gray market on Amazon is huge.

When in fact, the gray market on Amazon is huge.
Any reliable sources to substantiate that?

Sold by or fulfilled by Amazon is safe - period. Even if you should get a bad card the exchange is nearly painless. Third party sellers on Amazon is no different than eBay - it's a crap shoot. I buy cards almost exclusively on Amazon for 20+ years now and have never received anything other than a legitimate product.

Any reliable sources to substantiate that?

Sold by or fulfilled by Amazon is safe - period. Even if you should get a bad card the exchange is nearly painless. Third party sellers on Amazon is no different than eBay - it's a crap shoot. I buy cards almost exclusively on Amazon for 20+ years now and have never received anything other than a legitimate product.

Ebay is a wild west show.....

Engadget reliable for you? - https://www.engadget.com/2018-05-31-fulfilled-by-amazon-counterfeit-fake.html

Ebay is a wild west show.....
As is buying from and through any third party seller on any web site including Amazon.

...When in fact, the gray market on Amazon is huge.

From your referenced 2 year old article:

..has found around 58,000 counterfeit products on Amazon since May 2016. That's a small slice of the 560 million items on the site,
1/100 of 1% over a 2 year period hardly qualifies as huge by any definition.

Bottom line, buying from Amazon is about as safe an online purchase you can make anywhere. Items that I ordered via Amazon from third parties ('sold by' and 'fulfilled by') that were either not as advertised or not received were 100% covered by Amazon with no loss on my part other than the time it took to submit a claim.

BTW I think you're confusing the terms 'gray market' and 'counterfeit'. 'Gray market' is the practice of legitimate products being sold through channels not authorized by the manufacturer ( https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Grey_market ) while counterfeit is a fake product being presented as legitimate. I mention this because you specifically used the term 'gray market' but your referenced article deals exclusively with counterfeit goods.

And, yes, I'm aware that there certainly may be 'gray market' items on Amazon but that does not make the product itself bad in any way. The only 'loss' to a purchaser might be difficulty in obtaining warranty support.

And nowhere in that article does it say anything about people who but directly from a manufacturer's Amazon store. Which is a LOT different than buying from someone else. It is CLEARLY STATED who you are buying from on your Amazon buying pages right through the final sales confirmation page, but I guess there are people who do not think they need to pay attention to what they are doing, or to understand how to use Amazon, or who seem to not be able to comprehend words which the average 6th grader understands. And then they will blame someone else for their mistakes o_O

There ARE fake cards on Amazon to be sure, but not when you use the exact processes we're talking about here. Do anything other than exactly what we recommend and you can get screwed over. And if you can't understand the difference then you should not be spreading mis-truths about it :mad:

Long ago I heard a wise old saying and I took it to heart: "It is better to say nothing and be thought of as being stupid than it is to open your mouth and remove all doubt".

Phil

And nowhere in that article does it say anything about people who but directly from a manufacturer's Amazon store. Which is a LOT different than buying from someone else. It is CLEARLY STATED who you are buying from on your Amazon buying pages right through the final sales confirmation page, but I guess there are people who do not think they need to pay attention to what they are doing, or to understand how to use Amazon, or who seem to not be able to comprehend words which the average 6th grader understands. And then they will blame someone else for their mistakes o_O

There ARE fake cards on Amazon to be sure, but not when you use the exact processes we're talking about here. Do anything other than exactly what we recommend and you can get screwed over. And if you can't understand the difference then you should not be spreading mis-truths about it :mad:

Long ago I heard a wise old saying and I took it to heart: "It is better to say nothing and be thought of as being stupid than it is to open your mouth and remove all doubt".

Phil

The problem lies in that people see fulfilled by amazon and don't pay attention to sellers. Assuming that the product has been vetted. Amazon 100% stands behind any product it sells. However, you're not taking a layman's viewpoint. We're on a hobbyist website. Your average user hops on Amazon with their prime account and sees a cheap price, click buy. Not realizing either the product is a fake or not direct from manufacturer.

As is buying from and through any third party seller on any web site including Amazon.

From your referenced 2 year old article:

1/100 of 1% over a 2 year period hardly qualifies as huge by any definition.

Bottom line, buying from Amazon is about as safe an online purchase you can make anywhere. Items that I ordered via Amazon from third parties ('sold by' and 'fulfilled by') that were either not as advertised or not received were 100% covered by Amazon with no loss on my part other than the time it took to submit a claim.

BTW I think you're confusing the terms 'gray market' and 'counterfeit'. 'Gray market' is the practice of legitimate products being sold through channels not authorized by the manufacturer ( https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Grey_market ) while counterfeit is a fake product being presented as legitimate. I mention this because you specifically used the term 'gray market' but your referenced article deals exclusively with counterfeit goods.

And, yes, I'm aware that there certainly may be 'gray market' items on Amazon but that does not make the product itself bad in any way. The only 'loss' to a purchaser might be difficulty in obtaining warranty support.

I used the term gray market because Amazon has a large 3rd party seller market. Where products aren't sold and shipped by the manufacturer. So people see a cheap price, fulfilled by Amazon, and buy it. Not paying attention to where the item originates.

Sometimes they win and other times it's not gray market but plain counterfeit. That's my point. Yes, Amazon stands behind their products 100%. However, not everyone is as astute as people on a hobbyist website. I prefer to order direct from manufacturer myself.

I used the term gray market because Amazon has a large 3rd party seller market. Where products aren't sold and shipped by the manufacturer...
Apparently, you're still not comprehending the term 'gray market'. Not being 'sold and shipped' by the manufacturer is not the definition of gray market. Gray market is a term used to describe a legitimate product sold through channels not authorized by the manufacturer. Example: Canon and Nikon both have authorized distribution channels through either Canon USA or Nikon USA. Any of their products sold in the US through any other channel is categorized as 'gray market'.

For example - this page at B&H Photo the first 2 items are the exact same lens - the only difference is one was obtained by B&H through the Nikon US distributor (USA) and the other was directly imported (Import) thus avoiding some cost with the savings passed on to the customer.

And here on the B&H site is a complete description of gray market and what it means in this context.

Apparently, you're still not comprehending the term 'gray market'. Not being 'sold and shipped' by the manufacturer is not the definition of gray market. Gray market is a term used to describe a legitimate product sold through channels not authorized by the manufacturer. Example: Canon and Nikon both have authorized distribution channels through either Canon USA or Nikon USA. Any of their products sold in the US through any other channel is categorized as 'gray market'.

For example - this page at B&H Photo the first 2 items are the exact same lens - the only difference is one was obtained by B&H through the Nikon US distributor (USA) and the other was directly imported (Import) thus avoiding some cost with the savings passed on to the customer.

And here on the B&H site is a complete description of gray market and what it means in this context.

Please read the very first words I said..... I used the term gray market because Amazon has a large 3rd party seller market. A gray market item is an item sold by a 3rd party. Note I said 3rd party and not authorized reseller or distributor. And thus these 3rd party items aren't sold and shipped (fulfilled) by Amazon....

...A gray market item is an item sold by a 3rd party....
WRONG!, 100% totally wrong.

As I said, you are not grasping the concept of gray market.

In my example above B&H Photo is a 3rd party seller by any definition you care to attach to them. They are also an authorized reseller of both Nikon and Canon (and many other brands) - but they sell both gray market and non-gray market versions of the exact same product (the first 2 items listed in the link I provided if you bothered to look at it). It's not who the seller of a product is but rather the distribution channel the product was acquired through that determines the 'gray market' status of the product. (This also clearly explained in the second link I provided to the B&H site.)

WRONG!, 100% totally wrong.

As I said, you are not grasping the concept of gray market.

In my example above B&H Photo is a 3rd party seller by any definition you care to attach to them. They are also an authorized reseller of both Nikon and Canon (and many other brands) - but they sell both gray market and non-gray market versions of the exact same product (the first 2 items listed in the link I provided if you bothered to look at it). It's not who the seller of a product is but rather the distribution channel the product was acquired through that determines the 'gray market' status of the product. (This also clearly explained in the second link I provided to the B&H site.)

Note I said 3rd party and not authorized reseller or distributor .......Sigh...You're being argumentative for no other reason than to argue. A 3rd party selling an item without buying from the proper distribution channels is gray market. Let's stop getting into semantics.

Here's a definition to Gray Market.

A grey market is a market in which goods have been manufactured by or with the consent of the brand owner but are sold outside of the brand owner's approved distribution channels—an activity that can be perfectly legal.

Last edited:
Please read the very first words I said..... I used the term gray market because Amazon has a large 3rd party seller market. A gray market item is an item sold by a 3rd party. Note I said 3rd party and not authorized reseller or distributor. And thus these 3rd party items aren't sold and shipped (fulfilled) by Amazon....
As a 3rd party seller on Amazon and an authorized seller for Viofo, do you consider the Viofo cameras I sell on Amazon as “grey market” items?

As a 3rd party seller on Amazon and an authorized seller for Viofo, do you consider the Viofo cameras I sell on Amazon as “grey market” items?

Did you buy them from Viofo Directly or one of his authorized channels? If not, then yes. You are a gray market 3rd party. Im not sure what better term to give it. You aren't a first hand (manufacturer) or second hand seller (customer / buyer). Maybe there's a better term to identify the person who gets items outside normal distribution channels and resells it without manufacturers consent.

Did you buy them from Viofo Directly or one of his authorized channels? If not, then yes. You are a gray market 3rd party. Im not sure what better term to give it. You aren't a first hand (manufacturer) or second hand seller (customer / buyer). Maybe there's a better term to identify the person who gets items outside normal distribution channels and resells it without manufacturers consent.
We are (one of) their authorized channel. On Amazon we are 3th party, on our own website, we are 2nd party.

Back