Random file lengths saved when set to 3 minute loop recording on firmware 2.4

Cobra2000

Reaction score
Country
United States
I'm testing a new A119 V3 kit I purchased from viofo-official-store on eBay. I have it hooked up to a regulated 13.8V DC 25A power supply, using an HK3 wiring kit (red and yellow wires hooked together) and plugged into the Viofo GPS usb port. I had it positioned in front of a window for about an hour and a half. I have loop recording set at 3 minutes, using 2.4 firmware. Memory card is a new Sandisk Max Endurance 256GB sdxc, formatted to FAT32 using guiformat2 (FAT32 Format) and then formatting it in the camera. Card was tested with h2testw_1.4 on both write and verify. No errors. The files being saved are anywhere from 1-3 minutes in length. What could be causing this random file size / length issue? Attached is a windows screen snip of the different file sizes. I also noticed the cam goes from solid red rec light to flashing red, then back to solid red after a minute or so. I presume that's when it's writing to the memory card.

Attachments

• random_file_sizes.jpg
    random_file_sizes.jpg
    130.9 KB · Views: 12
Also, can you test the card write speed using Speedout 0.5

Do you have motion detection on?
Ding! Ding! We have a winner! It was on, apparently by default. I don't recall setting it. I noticed earlier on one clip the GPS was recording 4-5 MPH only for a minute. Didn't see that on any other clips. Strange. So, what's the purpose of the motion detector while driving? I know there's a separate parking motion detector setting.

Is there a good "cheat sheet" for the settings in this dashcam?

There's another thing I noticed when the sun went down. I'm about 150-200 feet or so from the street lights, car headlights and a fairly bright programmable sign that transitions displays . They all have a bad halo effect with HDR off, with it on it's not near as bad. I tried the CPL filter, but it didn't do much of anything. I cleaned the window glass; it helped a little. I even set EV to -1/3, but even that didn't help. Those lights just blow out the image.

Please share your settings with us.
The settings are mostly default except for the parking settings I messed with. CaptureYourAction figured out the issue. Are the files better to save in .TS rather than .MP4 ?

The settings are mostly default except for the parking settings I messed with. CaptureYourAction figured out the issue. Are the files better to save in .TS rather than .MP4 ?
TS was added to the setting menu later than MP4 as an improvement. We kept MP4 to provide more options.

TS was added to the setting menu later than MP4 as an improvement. We kept MP4 to provide more options.
Sounds good. What's the point of the motion detection setting while driving? It should be removed. I was getting ready to return this dashcam because of the random sized/length files.

Where is a good list of the settings that are recommended for the v2.4 firmware? I'm mainly interested in the parking settings because someone keeps vandalizing my car.

Default settings are usually close with a good cam. I'd check the EV daytime and nightime, sometimes you can gain a bit there. I have come to prefer shorter file time settings, either 1 or 3 minutes, as these seem to work more reliably than longer times; some SD cards don't do long/large files well. Set bitrate/ vid quality to maximum; the only time it should be lower is if you're short on card space or are having overheating issues.

Best settings will vary due to window tints, lighting conditions, city vs rural, and so on. The above applies to all cams, but you should always try and see what works best for you. And remember to check your vids after any FW update in case that has changed things.

Phil

Do you have a list of best settings for this dashcam?
As SawMaster said, default is good, then try small changes here and there to see if you see improvement to your liking or not. I usually run my cams on basically default. I usually just change the bitrate (to max) and looping time, though I think looping default is 3 minutes on the A119V3 and that's where I have it. Just be sure to set your lens angle to about 60% below the horizon and 40% sky (50/50 may be fine) before making any EV adjustments. Too much sky will mess with the exposure.

Only things i change / look for on a new dashcam is:
Set my time zone factoring in DST. ( currently +2 for Denmark, but +1 in the winter half of the year )
Image quality / bitrate i want to be the best / highest.
I want G sensor off for when driving, or at least set to the lowest if off is not a option.
File length i want 3 minutes.
Only watermarks i want on the footage is speed and time / date.

If it is a system i test parking guard too, then i prefer low bitrate always recording and if possible having G . sensor on here too and on high sensitivity, in normal i only use 1 hour parking guard but for test purpose i will also test longer duration's on the timer ( if a timer is present in the system ) if there are no timer i will use a higher cut off value like 12.4 volts to limit parking guard duration, but otherwise for my go to camera with parking i use 12.2 volts cut off even if i just use 1 hour on the timer, this let me up the timer anytime i want without having to mess with the low voltage cut off too on the hard wire kit hidden deep under my dashboard.

It is a good thing to play with your new toy / system to familiarize yourself with it, just dont make too many changes at one time, there is a reset to default option in the menu so you can always wipe the slate clean so to say.

Back