thancam

Retailer
Reaction score
Country
Viet Nam
Dash Cam
too many
John Goodenough develops rapid-charge battery made of glass
At 94 years old, inventor, professor and physicist John Goodenough is still inventing new solutions for battery storage. Back in 1980, Goodenough and his team reached a scientific breakthrough that made lithium-ion batteries possible, and now, decades later, Goodenough has developed the first all-solid-state battery cells.
Goodenough says the new cells have three times as much energy density as lithium-ion battery cells, and they are safer.
One of the interesting things about the newly invented cells is that they can be manufactured from glass. The cells would function at a lower temperature than lithium-ion batteries, and they can be manufactured out of sodium, which is commonly available, and can be extracted from sea water. Conventional batteries aren't able to use an alkali-metal-anode such as sodium.
Thanks to the alkali-metal-anode, the batteries could be charged more rapidly than lithium-ion cells, without the danger of damaging dendrites forming, which can cause short circuits and fires – especially troubling regarding the fast-charging of electric vehicles. And thanks to their high conductivity, the batteries would function well in subzero weather, even in -60 degrees Celsius or -76 F.
This would mean a "a safe, low-cost all-solid-state cell with a huge capacity giving a large energy density and a long cycle life suitable for powering an all-electric road vehicle or for storing electric power from wind or solar energy," as Bloomberg quotes the researchers. Goodenough's team is working on several patents, hoping to work with battery makers to develop and test their new materials in electric vehicles and energy storage devices, says the University of Texas. The battery project has attracted attention from industry bigwigs such as Google's Eric Schmidt.
---------------------------------------------
good news for our phone i guess :p

but no-one is in here. It's not fun to post here :(

The concept reminds me of a story from several years ago where scientists were developing a lithium polymer battery made with seaweed and algae that had increased energy storage and other properties. The key ingredient in the seaweed and algae was sodium from seawater that was used as binder in the electrolyte since saltwater is a natural electrolyte.

http://www.earthtimes.org/scitech/sprinkle-seaweed-powerful-less-toxic-batteries/1343/
http://www.earthtimes.org/scitech/sprinkle-seaweed-powerful-less-toxic-batteries/1343/
https://phys.org/news/2011-09-powered-seaweed-polymer-algae-battery.html

It's an interesting post. Why wouldn't people be interested in discussing the topic?
first, i post this post on "pic made me laugh", but the admins move my post into here :p

first, i post this post on "pic made me laugh", but the admins move my post into here :p

Well, it's a post that certainly seems like it belongs in the "Batteries & Capacitors" forum more than the "Pics that make you smile" sub forum, no?

My experience here on DCT is that, "If you post it, they will come". :)

I found a very interesting article that explains this new battery concept in much greater depth. At one point they state that when it comes to fast charging the battery can "behave a little more like a lightning-fast supercapacitor". Also,...."early tests of their technology suggest it’s also capable of perhaps thousands of charge-discharge cycles, and could perform well in both extremely cold and hot weather. (Initial estimates place its operating range between below -20º C and 60º C.)

I've been reading with interest all about new cutting edge "game changing" battery technologies for years now and not one of them is ever heard about again. This one sounds unusually promising. I hope it comes to pass. Certainly, John Goodenough's pedigree is such that if anyone can pull this off he might be the one to do it.

http://spectrum.ieee.org/energywise...s-new-glass-battery-accelerate-the-end-of-oil

Last edited:
In here, it seems only you, bungus and i read. In thread made me laugh, there will be alot of ppl read it. :p

In here, it seems only you, bungus and i read. In thread made me laugh, there will be alot of ppl read it. :p

Well, I guess if we all were to just post about any given topic in any random thread we think might get the most attention to the post the whole forum would be a disorganized chaotic mess. :)

Last edited:
Sleep overtook me before I could reply last night.
It's interesting, especially considering the source, but I'm rather jaded with news of new battery technologies even though I am very interested in the subject. Many times each year, somebody comes along with claims of something new that promises everything, but nothing significant comes from any of them :( Theory's which work on paper and things possible in a laboratory often don't work in the real world, or some insurmountable problem occurs rendering the idea into vaporware :rolleyes: When I see a major manufacturer announce plans to put such things into production then I get excited , but not before then.

Phil

Back