RC500S coming with INCREDIBLE low light performance

In the second video he's claiming there's absolutely no light. :confused:

Duh, if there's no light then what's being recorded? Sounds like a bit of marketing BS. :eek:

I think ideally the best camera for parking mode and the best camera for use while driving are two different cameras
Why didn't anyone ever thought of a camera with two sensors and two lenses, one for each of those two jobs?

I have to agree with this. For parking mode capturing as much information as possible is ideal. For driving mode I don't think I'd want a camera that sees more than I do for the simple reason that should something happen that could give the judge/jury/insurance company the impression that if the camera could see something you could as well and that could, unfairly, work against you.

I was only talking about the results of super low light performance which is great when parked but often turns into a blurry pixelated mess when there's movement, you're quite right though that an expectation that you can see as well as the camera could in the dark could work against you in some situations, not something I'd ever really thought about but a very valid point

Why didn't anyone ever thought of a camera with two sensors and two lenses, one for each of those two jobs?

have considered this before but it's a lot of cost to develop for a really unknown result, not something I could afford to do at this point in time, maybe some other manufacturer with deeper pockets and more resources will get to it at some stage

i have been thinking about a dual camera in one housing, but then it have been a wide angle camera paired with a narrow angled camera.

I have also started to contemplate if a camera on the driver wouldn't often be a good thing to have, i am quite sure many duchebags will now claim " well he was on his smartphone"
And such a on driver camera is pretty easy to make, and its not really susceptible to any of the issues that plague our regular dashcams.
Such a camera would also be valuable for the Uber drivers / taxi drivers, and it could even be good to have if you are car jacked and your car is found again with the camera still in it.

The DOD Dashcam app is developing by us (Fusion Next) , if there is any command, please just let us know, thanks.

The DOD Dashcam app is developing by us (Fusion Next) , if there is any command, please just let us know, thanks.

Ok I have comments for the app developer:
I've had a pretty hard time getting the app to run the way it was meant to work.

The UI needs a lot of work to improve the visual consistency in general, the 4 or 5-screen tutorial to tell the user where to tap to get everything going is not necessary if the interface design is cleaner and better organised.

More crucial are the following points that are preventing me from actually utilising the wifi specific features of the RC500S, which is disappointing.

First, I can't seem to stop the RC500S from its auto-record mode after it starts up, but this is apparently needed to change configuration settings. I'm always getting the 'camera busy, stop recording on camera to change settings' message. But, how? There is no way to do so on the camera hardware as there's no physical stop button. This is intermittent and sometimes I find myself able to change some of the settings before it locks out again.

And, can the app have a 180degree AND mirror flip option? This is for right-hand drive folks who wish to mount the camera upside down, slightly to the left of the windshield so it doesn't obstruct the driver's view. The 180degree rotation solves only half of this problem because the video feed becomes mirrored left to right.

On a different note for hardware, my RC500S came with a straight-ended connector on both ends to the rear camera, where a right-angled connector would have been so much better. The box also illustrates a right angled connector so what happened here?

Video quality is great, but frankly disappointed by the app implementation, especially given the price point, and of course the screenless form factor requiring a good app interface to succeed. Hope to hear updates and planned bug fixes soon.

First, I can't seem to stop the RC500S from its auto-record mode after it starts up, but this is apparently needed to change configuration settings. I'm always getting the 'camera busy, stop recording on camera to change settings' message. But, how? There is no way to do so on the camera hardware as there's no physical stop button. This is intermittent and sometimes I find myself able to change some of the settings before it locks out again.

that's a rather large oversight for the hardware

And, can the app have a 180degree AND mirror flip option? This is for right-hand drive folks who wish to mount the camera upside down, slightly to the left of the windshield so it doesn't obstruct the driver's view. The 180degree rotation solves only half of this problem because the video feed becomes mirrored left to right..

the app will just provide access to whatever settings are available, DOD would need to update the firmware to support this, the app is just an interface to whatever they have enabled

Video quality is great, but frankly disappointed by the app implementation, .

a friend of mine that has one said the same, nice video results, but terrible app

the app will just provide access to whatever settings are available, DOD would need to update the firmware to support this, the app is just an interface to whatever they have enabled

Besides the app developer, does DOD watch this forum for feedback?

Adding a long-press detection on say the lock button to pause recording will address this issue.

For mirroring, I agree it should be a firmware setting update to do the hardware flip (and not a kludgy, slower app-side software implementation). This then results in already-mirrored video source files which can then be viewed and copied by any computer.

The app also eats up battery life on my android phone.

Besides the app developer, does DOD watch this forum for feedback?

have never seen anyone related from DOD here

For mirroring, I agree it should be a firmware setting update to do the hardware flip (and not a kludgy, slower app-side software implementation). This then results in already-mirrored video source files which can then be viewed and copied by any computer.

should only be done in firmware

The app also eats up battery life on my android phone.

The app stays running all the time?

have never seen anyone related from DOD here

should only be done in firmware

The app stays running all the time?

Too bad; I'll just have to write to them directly for feedback on firmware then.

I found out how to configure the camera via the app – take out the micro SD card so it won't auto-record.... wth? That seems to be the ONLY method to change the important camera settings via the app.

I get that it's a new product that needs to work with the existing dod dashcam app, and these are teething issues. But the app better be fixed fast. @Fusion Next, hope you are watching this thread.

Additional notes:
  • The user manual instructs you to orient the mounting of the rear camera wrongly – if you follow those diagrams, you will mount your rear camera upside down. Then you'll have to configure via the app to rotate it. If you haven't figured out how to change those settings, this will be an exercise in pure frustration.
  • The manual also never describes this camera configuration requiring a stop to recording which can only be achieved on the RC500s by removing the sd card
  • Neither did they explain in detail what all the different beeping sounds are, too. You have to figure it out. Some sounds are easy to recognise (lock for locking a file, sure), but different beep patterns for errors and speed cameras are confusing. For a screenless device, that would be rather important to know from the get-go, wouldn't it?
  • Not all options shown in manual are actually in the actual app – speed units, gps logging, time-lapse, plate stamp, speed cam warning? No? What?
  • It's also as if they copied some pages directly off some other dod model and expect everything to be the same.
  • (being pedantic) Format Memory Card option in the app is not in English
Again, the base imaging hardware is good; everything else (and I mean that – everything) about the product is disappointing, and a classic example of a product that wasn't quite ready for release but was shoved out the door before usability tests were done.

Thanks for everyone's feedback, we will try to fix the app issue asap.

I Have to agree with NAUHCK. However, The IOS app runs great. You can stop the video anytime to get into the settings menu. However, a pause would be good too...so you do not have to stop it and forget to start it back up... would a pause be good or is the stop and start good enough? The android App is not working as it should at all and nauhck is correct. Not very good from DOD. And...why the hell did they release a product with no right hand cables coming out of the unit. It does have it on the box... but they give you a straight one. Blackvue has the right hand cables, so why not DOD ? I have also used the DOD viewing software for the split screen and cannot export the split screen file. Any ideas from guys who have used it?

1)The manual also never describes this camera configuration requiring a stop to recording which can only be achieved on the RC500s by removing the sd card.
FN: We test android 5.0.2 & 7.0 and can stop the recording. we will continue to test to try to find out the bug. Is iOS version also can not stop the recording ?
Would you please provide us the dod firmware number, the phone brand and android version , thanks so much !
2)Not all options shown in manual are actually in the actual app – speed units, gps logging, time-lapse, plate stamp, speed cam warning? No? What?
FN: We already fixed speed units setting and will update in next release. gps logging, time-lapse, plate stamp, speed cam warning are not open for app setting which is not our decision.
3)Format Memory Card option in the app is not in English
FN:We already fixed and will update in next release.

Thanks for all your feedback , we will continue to improve.

1)The manual also never describes this camera configuration requiring a stop to recording which can only be achieved on the RC500s by removing the sd card.
FN: We test android 5.0.2 & 7.0 and can stop the recording. we will continue to test to try to find out the bug. Is iOS version also can not stop the recording ?
Would you please provide us the dod firmware number, the phone brand and android version , thanks so much !
2)Not all options shown in manual are actually in the actual app – speed units, gps logging, time-lapse, plate stamp, speed cam warning? No? What?
FN: We already fixed speed units setting and will update in next release. gps logging, time-lapse, plate stamp, speed cam warning are not open for app setting which is not our decision.

In IOS app you can start and stop the recording no problem. I had to use a friends iphone and it works fine. However, when I use my ZTE android phone it will not work properly.
I will make a video and upload to you tube maybe? would that help?

In IOS app you can start and stop the recording no problem. I had to use a friends iphone and it works fine. However, when I use my ZTE android phone it will not work properly.
I will make a video and upload to you tube maybe? would that help?
Yes, please provide the video , thanks so much !

I will do a video in the next 24 hours.

Nope I tried tapping that same button but it just says "camera is busy".

This on Motorola Nexus 6, Android 7.1.1.

Sounds like a firmware-side API restriction. Perhaps forward this request to DOD then? Amazingly, all this information was printed as options in their user manual......

Thanks for all your feedback , we will continue to improve.

That's awesome. I'll all for making small improvements, especially if the big ones are going to take some time.

May I also suggest an improved user interface please. The "Camera List" section is awfully confusing. When you have to use 4 intro screens to teach users the basics of setting up the app/camera (instead of showing users what features are available), you know the design has failed. The flow and information hierarchy of the page needs a serious re-work.

Back