RC500S coming with INCREDIBLE low light performance

I Have to agree with NAUHCK. However, The IOS app runs great. You can stop the video anytime to get into the settings menu. However, a pause would be good too...so you do not have to stop it and forget to start it back up... would a pause be good or is the stop and start good enough? The android App is not working as it should at all and nauhck is correct. Not very good from DOD. And...why the hell did they release a product with no right hand cables coming out of the unit. It does have it on the box... but they give you a straight one. Blackvue has the right hand cables, so why not DOD ? I have also used the DOD viewing software for the split screen and cannot export the split screen file. Any ideas from guys who have used it?

Yes why in the world would they provide straight cables instead of right angle ones as in the packaging?

I think there are too many issues here to list. I'll post a new topic to list down all hardware/software issues. It's disappointing that these are details that should have been addressed before the product gets released.

I tried the equally poorly-designed desktop software for 5 minutes on osx. Long story short, I had to walk away from my computer to cool off.

Yes why in the world would they provide straight cables instead of right angle ones as in the packaging?

they could have at least had a right angle connector on one end, having it on both ends does cause problems for installation so that's not a good idea

Amazingly, all this information was printed as options in their user manual......

I must admit, that is pretty bad of DOD to do this. The booklet and box has a right hand cable coming from the unit and they give us a straight one..(which SUX by the way) and they list all these features that you mentioned in the instructions but they are not in the App.. WTH?

they could have at least had a right angle connector on one end, having it on both ends does cause problems for installation so that's not a good idea
That's actually a great point.. at least give the option of having at least 1 right angle end...so people can choose.
I am doing a video of it as we speak. Will need to upload video tomorrow as I have run out of time and daylight..lol ...

I think there are too many issues here to list. I'll post a new topic to list down all hardware/software issues. It's disappointing that these are details that should have been addressed before the product gets released.

I tried the equally poorly-designed desktop software for 5 minutes on osx. Long story short, I had to walk away from my computer to cool off.

I am doing a video tomorrow and uploading it to you tube. I don't want to bag the crap out of DOD, I just want to address a few issues and hopefully they solve them after this pretty bad start. The camera is pretty good in regards to the video quality but it needs to be a good complete package hardware and software. I agree, that desktop software is pretty bad. I dare anyone to try to export a front and rear video into one split screen video recording without pulling your hair out..lol and if you figure it out please let me know... Has anyone managed to export a video with split screens into the one video using the DOD editing/viewing software? I did try but had no success on my PC .. and I am pretty tech savvy and I use photoshop a lot.. I had to walk away myself and calm down..lol

Last edited:
I just want to reiterate that we are not DOD bashing here. The camera picture is bloody brilliant. But when you pay $500 plus for a camera.. you expect better.

how do you think the people that spend more than this on Thinkware or Blackvue cameras of similar spec feel, the DOD certainly has some annoyances but they're doing way better video than cameras that are much dearer, it's a much better starting point to be at, not defending their lack of attention to detail, they do need to improve, but at least the video isn't suffering like some of their competitors

right now it is doing pretty good video, can't knock them for that
Video is great. Now we just need to easily start and stop recording on most Android devices, and be able to change the settings properly instead of getting errors and have a right angled cables instead of having them jot out in front of you and update the manual and instructions and a few other niggles sorted.

Hi Guys, I have uploaded this fault video showing Android fault.

Hope it helps sort the issue out.

Last edited:
not sure if the type of device makes any difference but the one I was playing with was being accessed via a just released HTC phone, not sure what version of Android it was running, getting into the settings was a simple matter of clicking on the settings icon, no need to try and stop it recording first, can't say I liked the app interface, didn't really like the layout but it did connect easily and access everything quite easily

not sure if the type of device makes any difference but the one I was playing with was being accessed via a just released HTC phone, not sure what version of Android it was running, getting into the settings was a simple matter of clicking on the settings icon, no need to try and stop it recording first, can't say I liked the app interface, didn't really like the layout but it did connect easily and access everything quite easily
Hmmmm, mixed results all around. For now, I am using my wifes Iphone 5 to change settings if needed.

yeah I notice in your video you mention different results with different handsets also, people often complain about how restrictive iOS is but it's a lot easier to build a compliant app for iOS than it is for Android

yeah I notice in your video you mention different results with different handsets also, people often complain about how restrictive iOS is but it's a lot easier to build a compliant app for iOS than it is for Android
Very true indeed. I have actually designed a website or 2 in the past... and cross browser compatibility can cause some issues. If it had a screen, these issues would not even be an issue I suppose. But then, you lose the smaller form factor of the camera.

Hey @ozguy thanks for putting up that video. Same situation with mine: the "receive command error". Interestingly, you're on Android 4.2.2, while my errors are showing up on 7.1.1.

how do you think the people that spend more than this on Thinkware or Blackvue cameras of similar spec feel, the DOD certainly has some annoyances but they're doing way better video than cameras that are much dearer, it's a much better starting point to be at, not defending their lack of attention to detail, they do need to improve, but at least the video isn't suffering like some of their competitors

I don't think @ozguy and myself are bashing dod for their video quality. We do appreciate that one critical function that works – video recording. It is, to some extent, 'fire-and-forget', once you get it working. Sure, video quality is a good way to sell the product. But this claim is also similar to a car salesman going on about the mileage of a car that won't start reliably. Time will tell though in a few weeks, when more users inspect the day+night recordings in detail.

This is our complaint: In terms of user-friendliness and the entire package, however, I don't think the product is ready for release from a usability standpoint. Digital media experience design is what I do for a living, which is perhaps the reason why I am being more critical in these aspects of the product. But it doesn't take someone in this line of work to get frustrated right from the point the camera is unboxed, installed and set up. DOD rushed through product launch, and didn't think through the process of setting up a screenless dashcam quite properly. As a result, they neglected the importance of vetting the key control mechanism for the hardware - the app. Proof of this rushing-through is found in the overall package that I won't repeat here – it's been posted in this thread.

If this were a kickstarter campaign, sure – teething technology issues, bleeding edge compromises, buyer beware, etc. But this is a commercial product released and marketed as such. Seems like everyone forgot about the time when a product release equates to a completed product – albeit with small issues but none as glaring as the RC500S.

@jokiin I appreciate your comments on the topic and understand why developing an app on iOS is simpler due to its 'walled-garden' model, and far less platform fragmentation compared to Android. However this is a conversation meant for product developers to have, and plan resources for, before releasing it. Certainly not one for end-users to understand or empathise.

I would classify their video performance as the saving grace, if it wasn't for that you'd likely give up on the product pretty quickly, others that I mentioned with higher price and lesser video quality also have other issues, app related and otherwise, none of them are doing everything right, even worse when some are several hundred dollars dearer, wifi and apps are a huge headache and a lot of trouble to get sorted, there are other methods that could have been offered to configure the cameras (not everyone has a smartphone) and not very clever of them to not offer some alternatives, ironically some of DOD's very first products were also screenless so it's not like this is something that hasn't had to be considered previously

Just as a side thought, Imagine plugging in your phone via a mini usb cable and viewing it on the phone and changing settings via the cable connected to the phone. You really only have to do it for phone set up or playing back a video in case of incident on camera. Then again, this is 2017 so WiFi and Bluetooth are the norm now.

Just as a side thought, Imagine plugging in your phone via a mini usb cable and viewing it on the phone and changing settings via the cable connected to the phone. You really only have to do it for phone set up or playing back a video in case of incident on camera. Then again, this is 2017 so WiFi and Bluetooth are the norm now.

some devices can be configured via OTG, sometimes a simple text file loaded onto the card, or a PC/Mac app to do the setup loaded onto card, consumers can be a bit app obsessed so there are obvious marketing reasons to having an app, granted not many people that would buy one of these that wouldn't have access to a smartphone of some sort but an alternate method to allow setup is still good practice

i wonder: what exactly sensor do they use in rc500s ?

Back