RC500S vs SG9663DC

dougie175

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am looking for some advice and hopefully experience from anyone who has used or tried both of these cameras, I was all set to buy the SG9663DC as I have a full spare day tomorrow and could have installed it and got up and running, but due to stocking issues and Amazon not playing ball I wont be able to get it until next week when I have no time to install the unit! This gives me a little bit more breathing space to just double check I am buying the best unit for my own situation.

Things that are important to me:

Image Quality – I believe both have similar quality although looking at videos on youtube possibly the RC500S has a better quality especially when it comes to reading number plates at speed, I am not sure some of the youtube videos are 100% accurate though
Support – This is where I believe SG really impress me, I emailed DOD and they were very responsive and good but the UK seller was less than impressive. Not sure how I would fair if I had an issue with the RC500S?
Cost – Surprisingly the DOD is actually £60 cheaper for me taking into account the hardwire kits for both units this is because the UK seller is having a sale on the DOD units and has offered a discount code
Features – The both have essentially the same features unless someone can tell me something I am not aware of that 1 unit does better than another?
Updates – I feel alongside the support SG will provide updates and improvements on the SG9663DC for a lot longer into the future, the RC505S has been out a few years now and may be replaced soon possibly so support and updates may be at the end of the line?
Screen – I actually prefer not to have a screen as I find them distracting whilst driving, but because of the SG’s compact and nice design I think I can hide it behind my rear view mirror, giving me a nice easy way to setup the unit but without being distracting when driving

I think overall the SG6993DC is a better setup, although possibly not as good quality… but not sure I can justify the extra £60 over the RC500S. If I could get the SG here tomorrow I would pay the additional £60 as I don’t often get a full day to do jobs, but as I will have to wait for either setup no point rushing the purchase.

Thanks for any help and advice anyone has

SG9663DC.jpg DOD RC500S.jpg

DC screensaver can be set as short as 5 seconds, I prefer to keep distractions to a minimum where possible

Firmware development is ongoing

YouTube videos aren't good to judge any camera unfortunately

DC screensaver can be set as short as 5 seconds, I prefer to keep distractions to a minimum where possible

Firmware development is ongoing

YouTube videos aren't good to judge any camera unfortunately

No I completely appreciate that, hence starting the thread to get peoples real opinions and experiences I also understand why you cant really comment on a DOD camera ;-) . Like many others I have watched lots of YouTube footage, but don't think the cameras are always setup as well as each other and realise the reduce quality YouTube brings but would expect both cameras and footage to be reduced by YouTube in the same way or is it more complicated than that?

Raw video files are the only way to judge properly, even then if the comparisons aren't side by side it's still difficult as there are always situations where one camera will look better or worse in some particular scenario

Raw video files are the only way to judge properly, even then if the comparisons aren't side by side it's still difficult as there are always situations where one camera will look better or worse in some particular scenario

Yeah I appreciate RAW videos would be ideal to compare but appreciate different cameras will react to different conditions.

Jokiin I'm not sure if you will answer this question but do you feel the SG will produce better or at least as good videos as the RC500S overall?

I don't believe the DOD produces better video, even if it did it is a bit buggy still and they are a bit slow with the firmware updates

This comment holds some real wait for me, I have asked Niko for some original footage from his SG9663DC so I can see what this camera produces without YouTube being a factor, I am sure I will be happy with the quality and reassure myself it is worth spending the extra for superb support that you give

Order made via Amazon for SG9663DC with a 128GB SD Card and a SG9663DC with ATO Fuse Taps due to arrive middle to end of next week. Thank You for reassuring me that the service from SG as a whole is superb and this is worth the extra money.

Looking forward to getting it up and running now!

Order made via Amazon for SG9663DC with a 128GB SD Card and a SG9663DC with ATO Fuse Taps due to arrive middle to end of next week. Thank You for reassuring me that the service from SG as a whole is superb and this is worth the extra money.

Looking forward to getting it up and running now!
Have you done a comparison of the RAW videos? I am curious which one has better video quality. The DOD is really great. The licence plates are easier to read than when captured by Thinkware D800 Pro or Blackvue DR750S. And it is the same for front and rear camera. Is there a comparison with the SG9663DC?

Have you done a comparison of the RAW videos? I am curious which one has better video quality. The DOD is really great. The licence plates are easier to read than when captured by Thinkware D800 Pro or Blackvue DR750S. And it is the same for front and rear camera. Is there a comparison with the SG9663DC?

have a look for posts by @alexsoll he has posted comparison videos of Blackvue and Street Guardian before

have a look for posts by @alexsoll he has posted comparison videos of Blackvue and Street Guardian before
Thanks. I found it here. There is the comparison of SGGCX2PRO (there are two versions?) and DR750S-2CH. I suppose it is only front camera. The night vision on DR750S-2CH is switched off so I cannot compare it because it's totally dark. And even if it is switched on, the comparison to the DR750S is useless for me because the night vision of DR750S is terrible as I could see here

Screenshot_26.png

I want to compare the SG with the DOD RC500S which is much better than DR750S when it comes to fron or rear and day or night.

Korean cameras are not about video performance, don't expect great video
Ok. So if I want the superb video quality, the only options are DOD RC500S and Viofo A129? The DR750S is not good when night and the DR900S has low quality of the rear camera during the night.

The Viofo hasn't buffered parking mode so I must record in low bitrate (5 mbps) all the time, i.e. max 5 days (using 256 GB).
  • When parking for couple of hours, I will start low bitrate recording.
  • When parking for couple of days (max 5 days), I will start low bitrate recording. The limitation is the card capacity and the battery capacity.
  • When parking for more than 5 days, I will start timelaps + g-sensor activated recording but when there is an impact, I have no evidence for police because it is not buffered. The limitation is the battery. I assume that the consumptino of all cameras is approx 4.5 W so it is approx 0.75 kW for a 7 days so it is not problem to record for couple of weeks but when there are no journeys long enough to charge the battery properely, I cannot do it very often because it would drain my battery in the end.

The DOD RC500S has buffered parking mode so I can record timelaps and when there is an impact, the g-sensor starts recording normal video (with 15 s buffered). Is it possible to set it in this way, i.e. timelaps + g-sensor? The DOD has low bitrate (3 mbps) so when using low bitrate parking mode, it is possible to record approx 8 days. The DOD is more than twice as expensive.
  • When parking for couple of days (max 8 days), I will start low bitrate recording. The limitation is the card capacity and the battery capacity. Same as above but longer.
  • When parking for more than 8 days, I will start timelaps + g-sensor activated recording. The limitation is only the battery. Same as above but buffered which is important.

The F800 Pro has best parking mode. It offers the timelaps and bitrate (8 mbps - less than 3 days) but when parking for long time, I can use Energy saving mode which consumes 1/5 of energy (only 0.74 W). But it is not buffered and I have no timelaps or bitrate when using it. This camera has the worst video quality so it is more difficult to read licence plates. That's the reason I tend not to buy it.
  • When parking for couple of days (max 3 days), I will start low bitrate recording. The limitation is only the card capacity. Same as above but not for longtime parking.
  • When parking for more than 3 days, I will start Energy Saving Mode which can start recording when g-sensor is activated. The video is not buffered so I have no evidence for police. From 3 up to 5 or 8 days, this is the worst camera. But when more than 5 or 8 days it is the best camera because it is more likely I can read the licence plate than in case of timelaps. There are no limitation because it does not consume the memory or a very very little of the battery.
As you can see I will switch between these parking modes:
  • Low bitrate
  • Timelaps (+ g-sensor if possible?)
  • Energy Saving
  • Parking mode switched off when parking for long time which is more often than I you may expected in my case.
It seems that the DOD is the best compromise when parking mode and it has the best video quality. I have 2 questions:
  1. Is it possible to switch parking mode to timelaps + g-sensor?
  2. How difficult is to switch the camera off when I will park for a week or longer (it is quite often so it is important for me)?

I suppose the DOD supports 256 GB card. The official support is 128 GB.

SGGCX2PRO (IMX323) vs SGGCX2PRO+ (IMX291) vs BlackVue DR750S-2CH (IMX291 - NV_OFF)

Last edited:
Back