Ready to buy a SG, confused about model variants

VanKo

Reaction score
Country
United States
SG9663DCPRO+ vs . SG9663DC
SGGCX2PRO+ vs. SGGCX2

Does the “PRO+” just designate a difference in the rear camera component?

Also, which is a better camera? According to: https://streetguardian.cam/compare-cameras
It appears as though the differences are WiFi, unit dimensions, and plug location. Is this still accurate?

The pro+ cameras have the IMX 291 sensor all around, in the regular versions the rear camera are the IMX 323.
The wifi issue i dont really keep taps on as it is not something i would ever use myself

I have used the SG9663DC myself for some years, and i had no issues with the lesser rear sensor, when there is light ( daytime ) it is just fine, and at night with ambient light of a town it is also okay, even if it is not the strip your drive on, and at night out on the dark back roads it do not matter much what you have back there as you have darkness / a little red tarmac and lane markings when you brake, and glowing orbs of other cars headlights.

The DC cameras have the wires come off the side of the camera, it is not a big deal in any way, the GCX2PRO as i recall have the wires at the top of the main unit

I would still recommend the pro+ models if money are not a overwhelming issue.

SG9663DCPRO+ has Sony IMX291 sensor for both front and back, the original SG9663DC is no longer in production but had an IMX32 rear sensor. (IMX291 is better)
It also has a smaller rear camera, same one that comes with SG9663DR

SGGCX2PRO+ has the ability to add a rear camera, internal or external waterproof option. So it comes single channel and you can add the rear.
SGGCX2 is no longer in production and you can't add a rear camera to it. (single channel only)

Here's more info on the external waterproof camera option. The vast majority of customers get the regular "SGR291CAM" internal camera though

I keep forgetting that the SGGCX2PRO+ are just a single channel camera, but it make good sense if you want to add the WP rear camera.

The DCPRO+ i assume you have to buy the kit and then also the WP camera and so have the non WP camera in surplus,,,,, unless of course you can come to a arrangement with the SG dealer,,,,, which i dont think will be too difficult.

SG9663DCPRO+ has Sony IMX291 sensor for both front and back, the original SG9663DC is no longer in production but had an IMX32 rear sensor. (IMX291 is better)
It also has a smaller rear camera, same one that comes with SG9663DR

SGGCX2PRO+ has the ability to add a rear camera, internal or external waterproof option. So it comes single channel and you can add the rear.
SGGCX2 is no longer in production and you can't add a rear camera to it. (single channel only)

Here's more info on the external waterproof camera option. The vast majority of customers get the regular "SGR291CAM" internal camera though

The waterproof camera is the only option for me as I have a windowless cargo van. I would like to have the better quality sensors and front camera. The size and wire position of the front camera is of no matter, I have a huge windshield and I will be able to hide it easily. I would prefer to have Wifi but if the SGGCX2PRO+ is a better unit I would rather have better quality over Wifi. What would you recommend?

The waterproof camera uses the IMX323 sensor. (it's still very good)

You can add it to the SGGCX2PRO+ but I need to install SGGCX2PRO firmware on it to be compatible with iMX323 rear sensor
Search our site for "X2WRC323

You can still add a waterproof rear camera to the SG9663DCPRO+ but I'd need to install SG9663DC firmware on it so it's compatible with IMX323 rear sensor.
Search our site for "DCWRC323"
Private message me or send an email and I'll set you up with a custom bundle to take the internal rear camera out to see a bit of money. (Since DC series isn't sold single channel)

Either way make sure you order all this direct so I can help coordinate and load the compatible firmware to work correctly. It's different firmware but has all of the same functions either way.

The waterproof camera uses the IMX323 sensor. (it's still very good)

You can add it to the SGGCX2PRO+ but I need to install SGGCX2PRO firmware on it to be compatible with iMX323 rear sensor
Search our site for "X2WRC323

You can still add a waterproof rear camera to the SG9663DCPRO+ but I'd need to install SG9663DC firmware on it so it's compatible with IMX323 rear sensor.
Search our site for "DCWRC323"
Private message me or send an email and I'll set you up with a custom bundle to take the internal rear camera out to see a bit of money. (Since DC series isn't sold single channel)

Either way make sure you order all this direct so I can help coordinate and load the compatible firmware to work correctly. It's different firmware but has all of the same functions either way.

Sorry, I’m a bit confused. Is the only difference between the SGGCX2PRO+ and the SG9663DCPRO+ Wifi, size, and wire position?

I also assume nowadays, that say improvements in image quality will hit pro+ models before it filter down to regular versions ?
I am not aware if image improvements can be moved directly over as pro+ / non pro cameras dont have the same cameras and a IMX 323 might not work well with ideal settings for a IMX 291.

The DC / DCPRO+ and GCX2 / GCX2PRO+ are 2 different chip sets ( one with wifi support the other without that )

The exciting image quality improvements you’ve seen talked about in the private test section of the forum should come to all models with IMX291 in the main camera up front.

Nice.
Well i also sort of knew that, but i dont know if you can sort of just move those IQ improving lines of code directly over.
Factoring in my strong tendency to over simplify things :)

It is good old stuff are not just dropped cuz there is a new item on the shelves, not least since SG cameras most often give years of operation / enjoyment.

I also assume nowadays, that say improvements in image quality will hit pro+ models before it filter down to regular versions ?
correct
The DC / DCPRO+ and GCX2 / GCX2PRO+ are 2 different chip sets ( one with wifi support the other without that )
DC, DCPRO, DCPRO+, X2PRO, X2PRO+, DR, TD all run the same processor so majority of changes will be going out to all models
Well i also sort of knew that, but i dont know if you can sort of just move those IQ improving lines of code directly over.
for the most part, yes

Maybe i was thinking about the original SGGCX2 for having another SOC :unsure:

As i have always said there are people on this site that geek out far more on dashcams than i do, i only think of my self as a somewhat dedicated user.

correct

DC, DCPRO, DCPRO+, X2PRO, X2PRO+, DR, TD all run the same processor so majority of changes will be going out to all models

for the most part, yes
Are the power and video cables compatible with both SG9663DC PRO and SGGCX2 PRO?

Back