real or fake G1WH ? Ordered from Amazon with prime for $55.50 shipped.

Shay.ca

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hey everyone. I am new to the dash cam game. I ordered a G1W off ebay and after finding this forum found out the orange box is the fake one... I immediately sent a message to the seller and asked to cancel the order. He was good about it and canceled / refunded me ASAP.

I then found out about the newer version G1WH which was all black, a bit better and had a wider lens so I decided to check that one out. I took a gamble ordering from Amazon because it did not show a picture of the box nor did I know what the real box on the G1WH looks like. I believe this one I got is real but I wanted to check.

The box I got is this one:
2014-06-27172941_zpse6737908.jpg

2014-06-27172953_zps0eb39a81.jpg

2014-06-27173014_zps25de759a.jpg

I did notice the G1WH on the top right is just a sticker which makes me wonder as well.

I made two night time videos which I thought were pretty good which makes me believe I got a real one :)

Highway driving:

City driving:

I got it all mounted tonight and had the wires all hidden through the roof and the a pillar across the bottom dash and able to plug in.

2014-06-27211018_zps89d1e9d6.jpg

Worked out super well and I had just enough cable.

Questions I had about the unit:

1) Did I get a real one?

2) Is there a better mounting system? I found that it seems to be pretty loose. I ended up using a piece of the screen protection and putting it in and then sticking the camera and the mount together, thus it was tighter and worked better.

3) Any tricks on the mount?

4) Is it safe for the camera to stay in the car all day in the sun? Will the camera get damaged if I do not take it out while I am at work and the car heats up?

5) Any recommendations on a case or something for when I do remove the camera from the car. I was thinking about like a case for glasses (I don't wear any so I am not able to test it out.)

6) I used a 16gb class 4 memory card. The manual said to use a class 10. I know the G1W needed a class 4 or 6. The recordings I did tonight seemed to work well and have no issues.

Thanks for your help. I look forward to learning more on the forums here. I love forums!

The box it comes in is rarely if ever any way to judge what the product is, check the file properties of movie and still pictures and you'll get more useful info

Hey everyone. I am new to the dash cam game. I ordered a G1W off ebay and after finding this forum found out the orange box is the fake one... I immediately sent a message to the seller and asked to cancel the order. He was good about it and canceled / refunded me ASAP.

I then found out about the newer version G1WH which was all black, a bit better and had a wider lens so I decided to check that one out. I took a gamble ordering from Amazon because it did not show a picture of the box nor did I know what the real box on the G1WH looks like. I believe this one I got is real but I wanted to check.

The box I got is this one:
2014-06-27172941_zpse6737908.jpg

2014-06-27172953_zps0eb39a81.jpg

2014-06-27173014_zps25de759a.jpg

I did notice the G1WH on the top right is just a sticker which makes me wonder as well.

I made two night time videos which I thought were pretty good which makes me believe I got a real one :)

Highway driving:

City driving:

I got it all mounted tonight and had the wires all hidden through the roof and the a pillar across the bottom dash and able to plug in.

2014-06-27211018_zps89d1e9d6.jpg

Worked out super well and I had just enough cable.

Questions I had about the unit:

1) Did I get a real one?

2) Is there a better mounting system? I found that it seems to be pretty loose. I ended up using a piece of the screen protection and putting it in and then sticking the camera and the mount together, thus it was tighter and worked better.

3) Any tricks on the mount?

4) Is it safe for the camera to stay in the car all day in the sun? Will the camera get damaged if I do not take it out while I am at work and the car heats up?

5) Any recommendations on a case or something for when I do remove the camera from the car. I was thinking about like a case for glasses (I don't wear any so I am not able to test it out.)

6) I used a 16gb class 4 memory card. The manual said to use a class 10. I know the G1W needed a class 4 or 6. The recordings I did tonight seemed to work well and have no issues.

Thanks for your help. I look forward to learning more on the forums here. I love forums!
There is a new rear view mirror mount for the G1W & G1WH, go and check that out :)

There is also a 3M mount which is fine too

Yes I have ordered 2pcs.
Works also with G1W by cutting 1mm plastic of the 3M mount with a knife

So this one I purchased and posted about on the first post finally bit the dust. The suction cup fell off from the cold and the camera hit funny and now it just turns on and off repeatedly. I don't think its fixable. I was happy with this camera and it worked really well, caught some good stuff.

I decided to buy another one off amazon from the same seller of my first order since I knew I had a good one. This new one has a completely different box and says "Black Box" on it. I don't think its the same thing.

Looking at the file its also a .MOV so maybe its just a newer version?

The G1WH comes with a new chip now.

Does the timestamp look like this?

gu73WKO.png

If so, you got a legit one with the new Generalplus chip.

Actually some G1WH have the new chip but not all. The G1WH we (Spy Tec) are selling still has the same Novatek / Aptina solution as before.

The G1WH comes with a new chip now.

Does the timestamp look like this?

gu73WKO.png

If so, you got a legit one with the new Generalplus chip.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
U G1WX 7
V G1WX 14
Sprag G1WX 13
winter4w G1WX 3
E G1WX 5
Back