Rear cam and the wobbly plug (plugate)

mclarkie

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have noticed the slightest movement of the rear cam can disconnect it from the front camera, (like opening and closing the boot! :() on close inspection the mini plug does not fully push into the rear cams socket leaving a 2mm gap, this allows the plug to wobble about. .

IMG_20180615_154348.jpg

Last edited:
Agreed, I have emailed @NextBase Tiffany, yesterday, about exactly the same thing. My connector is so loose in the socket that it will not maintain a connection unless I assert pressure. I was thinking that it may have been my fault during installation because of the weigh and rigidity of the cable causing pressure on the dashcam socket with the opening and closing of the hatchback. It is interesting to see another with the same problem. Still waiting to hear back from Tiffany as I am sure she will be very busy with the release of a new product to the market.

I have had endless problems with this rearcam ever since I installed it, I had the original 512GW for 6 months with no problems.
There is a problem with wifi stability, and there are bugs in the software, but I also has loads of random issues, I spent so much time testerday and finally got the whole system to work.
This morning, nothing had changed with the installation ie settings etc. I was again unable to get any video from rear camera, in desperation I looked at the camera connection and as you say there is movement in the plug / socket, I am now convinced this has been my problem all along, hopefully I will not have a battle with nextbase to get it changed for a new unit,
Sorry you have a problem but I am reassured it is not me being a prat.
Regards

Where is your cable routed @mclarkie?

@Spuds The software bugs you/others are experiencing we should have a fix for after the weekend. Can you email me a photo of the port as I've asked Chris to do below.

@chrisdobb I promise there will never be a battle!

Tiffany
Thanks for your reassurances, after speaking I now feel happier that these problems will be resolved.

@chrisdobb Never doubt the power that is @NextBase Tiffany . I have never known anyone, who works in customer support, be as conscientious and customer focused as Tiffany is. And no, I do not have any allegiances with Nextbase.

PS:- @NextBase Tiffany - I have emailed you the photo's you requested, If you need any further info give me a shout.

I have had endless problems with this rearcam ever since I installed it, I had the original 512GW for 6 months with no problems.
There is a problem with wifi stability, and there are bugs in the software, but I also has loads of random issues, I spent so much time testerday and finally got the whole system to work.
This morning, nothing had changed with the installation ie settings etc. I was again unable to get any video from rear camera, in desperation I looked at the camera connection and as you say there is movement in the plug / socket, I am now convinced this has been my problem all along, hopefully I will not have a battle with nextbase to get it changed for a new unit,
Sorry you have a problem but I am reassured it is not me being a prat.
Regards

Yes - I too have issues with the rear camera just fitted to a 5 month old 512GW that had worked faultlessly. I got such things as rear camera showing on screen just as a yellow box with transparent filling. Got 2 clips on day 1 named YYMMDD_HHMMSS_001.RE.MOV and never been able to get any more since. Content of empty yellow box is only reliably filled when in Photo mode - takes nice stills!! Eventually emails with James at Nextbase and also Tiffany have concluded its faulty so today I have requested seller (Velocity Outlet, Cambridge) for a replacement unit. Getting slightly concerned this may take more than 7 days - motoring holiday looming. But lets see - support from seller has a bit of time yet to impress me. Also today - plugged it all together in vain hope it might start working properly - no chance - filled up with petrol and when started engine unit thought "1st time run lets offer display options" and that usually only happens when main unit detects rear camera appearance from previous power without rear camera. Slightly unreliably stable - or to put another way - unstable and random - wonders if extra drain on internal power circuits by 2nd camera is reducing power rails into the dodgy region?? Who knows - no clues from Nextbase yet. Tapping fingers and hoping for snappy resolution.

Hi @AlanJR your symptoms are exactly the same as mine, particularly of note is the empty yellow frame where the rear camera would display. I think you will find that the problem is the socket on the rear camera that restricts the plug from going in fully. Tiffany sent me a picture of how it should look and my plug stands out a few millimetres more than hers when inserted, plus there is considerable ‘wobble” which brings the camera position menu up on screen.

I hope you have success in getting a speedy replacement. Keep us posted.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hi @AlanJR your symptoms are exactly the same as mine, particularly of note is the empty yellow frame where the rear camera would display. I think you will find that the problem is the socket on the rear camera that restricts the plug from going in fully. Tiffany sent me a picture of how it should look and my plug stands out a few millimetres more than hers when inserted, plus there is considerable ‘wobble” which brings the camera position menu up on screen.

Just had a look at the plug into the rear cam - I cannot push it in any further and withdrawing it is quite resistant and does not feel it would fall out of its own accord - that said there is more to this than just the connection I feel. I can always receive the image from the rear camera - consistently - just by switching the main unit to photo mode - image from rear is then reliably in the PiP window - its just that it should be in the video mode as well.

Still favour the rear camera taking more power than just 512GW alone. If the voltage on the electronics goes below minimum, then depending on by how much - the electronics technology used - the end result could well fit the numerous different anomalies we are all experiencing - ie the whole unit goes unstable. Motor cars in general operate in the 12-14.5 V range - are these devices really tolerant or sensitive to the effect of discharged batteries etc? Trouble with this theory is that if true, then swapping for another new unit does not guarantee a solution - unless - Nextbase have secretly already made the changes that cure the issue in which case newer items off the production line may well be the cure.

Wonder how many users with new rear cams are happily saying nothing because they have no problems? How many rear cams have Nextbase just shipped early june?

Well so far I've had no issues (hope I haven't jinxed things). Seems to be recording reliably, have checked over few days and all seems OK.

Cheers Spuds, I have tried fitting another micro USB plug from a phone charger cable into the rear cam and have the same 2 to 3 mm gap and same movement in the plug. it's the lateral movement that disconnects the contacts in the plug with the socket (or "port" as they like to call it) if I push the cable forwards, towards the lens side of the cam it makes contact, if I pull back it breaks contact. up and down movement makes no difference.
My bodge solution will be to use a bit of tenacious tape to hold the cable in the contact position. until a replacement cam is made available. dread to think how long that will take!

I have to say I have had none of the other issues folk have been having, apart from the empty yellow pip box, which disappears when the cam is turned off and on again.

Hi @mclarkie I applaud your inventiveness. My (failed) solution was to encase the connection with blue-tac. Unfortunately every time I closed the hatchback it caused a disconnection. @NextBase Tiffany emailed me offering a swap out (which I accepted) but I think there may be a stock issue so I have no idea how long this may take. I can't say this bothers me too much as long as the replacement doesn't suffer the same problem. I was going to replace the wife's 412GW with a 512GW and rear camera combo but she has decided to stick with her camera and perhaps fit a 312 on the rear screen. Such a shame as I love the cameras size. The one thing I would have designed differently would be for the camera to be removeable. Once it is stuck to the screen if it needs moving it has to be unstuck.

My most successful bodge so far, is a bit of foam rubber gently placed between the glass and camera plug. not very elegant, but it works.

IMG_20180618_135909.jpg

Last edited:
Took a look at my rear cam this evening and the body of the plug does not sit flush with the case. Now whether this gap is an issue I'm not sure as it could just be the position of the socket on the circuit board but probably it would be better for longevity if it did sit flush. Obviously some on here are having problems but my cam has the gap and I've open and closed the tailgate numerous times and so far no issues (fingers crossed).

I've had the issue of the camera in a constant loop saying recording constantly. This seems to be when the battery is low on the camera as it happened after I had turned parking mode on. The battery wasn't fully charged. The only watto remedy it is to turn it off and back on.

Hi all, and @NextBase Tiffany I too have problems with the rear camera for the 512gw. It stopped working on the 25th of this month. I’ve been reading the comments in this thread I’ve also tried to cure the fault with the tips from this thread. It worked while the hatchback was open but every time I shut it, it would disconnect the rear camera for the front camera.

Is there a way to view the rear dashcam from your phone?

Hi All, new to the group here, I have had the 512GW rear camera for about a week now and also seem to have the dreaded wobbly plug syndrome.
I tried the rear and front camera set up indoors before installing in the car and it appeared to work OK, all though I couldnt get full screen rear mode despite pressing the mode button.
However, upon meticulously running the cable through the appropriate appertures flexible rubber boot and ceiling void, the rear camera will not function unless slight forward pressure is applied at the plug socket on the rear camera. The display option screen then appears on the front camera, however this dissappears as soon as the pressure is released.
Is there a work around to this or do I need to take the camera back for an exchange, I am convinced that the issue is with the camera socket and not the cable @NextBase Tiffany

Hi All, new to the group here, I have had the 512GW rear camera for about a week now and also seem to have the dreaded wobbly plug syndrome.
I tried the rear and front camera set up indoors before installing in the car and it appeared to work OK, all though I couldnt get full screen rear mode despite pressing the mode button.
However, upon meticulously running the cable through the appropriate appertures flexible rubber boot and ceiling void, the rear camera will not function unless slight forward pressure is applied at the plug socket on the rear camera. The display option screen then appears on the front camera, however this dissappears as soon as the pressure is released.
Is there a work around to this or do I need to take the camera back for an exchange, I am convinced that the issue is with the camera socket and not the cable @NextBase Tiffany

Hi SiBry

I think you can see, by reading this thread and using the search facility, that some users, including myself, have had issues with fitting the rear camera. There are various mods and botches but non are elegant and long lasting. I think it would be prudent to seek a replacement, hopefully you will be lucky with that one. As for the full screen, you need to have a SD card installed and for the camera to be recording before pressing the mode button. Hope this is of some help.

Spuds

Back