Rear cam image flipped?

D1dual dash cam

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi I’m newbie so I might be in the wrong area to post this thread. I regretfully bought a cheap dual dash cam called D1 Dual Dash Cam. Wired it all correctly. However the rear cam image is not the same image showing on my rear view mirror. The best way I can explain it is, if I have a car on the my right rear and this shows correct with my rear view mirror. The same image on the rear cam view display shows the same image car now on the left? I’ve been unsatisfied with the manufacturer’s customer service response to which they say that it’s working correctly and that it can’t be adjusted.

My question is that there are 5 coloured wires feeding the rear cam. Might it be as simple as inverting a couple of wire feed to the rear cam to flip the image the right way I.e. to make it the same way as the rear view mirror?
I’ve attached two photos one of the image comparison and the coloured wires. Apologies for the long thread.

ps don’t buy this brand!!! Thanks

Attachments

• F2AAFA60-14D9-48F3-9330-8197FD163CCA.jpeg
    F2AAFA60-14D9-48F3-9330-8197FD163CCA.jpeg
    304.5 KB · Views: 12
  • 0781F1BD-5BAE-41A2-9DDE-7D32EE9C9882.jpeg
    0781F1BD-5BAE-41A2-9DDE-7D32EE9C9882.jpeg
    354.6 KB · Views: 13
when you view the video on the mirror, cars on your right show on the right side, cars on the left show on the left

when you view the recordings or look at the rear video on the cameras display it's the other way around, eg, you can read the license plates the correct way

is that what you're saying?

Hi thank you for your reply and yes it’s as you say. I can read the number plates the right way. So i can’t rely on using the cam for reversing as the images are flipped around me. I read somewhere on here that the playback (if used should show it the right way) surely this can’t be true? What’s the point of advertising it as the cam can be used for reversing? Hope you can help.
Thanks again

can you just clarify, your mirror has a video input and you're viewing the output of the rear camera on it, or are you just talking about its function as a mirror?

The dash cam is a separate unit with an lcd display. This cam is mounted on the windshield. On the cam’s view you can switch from front view, dual screen font and rear and or rear view only. It has a red wire linked to the reverse lamp as per instructions to auto switch the cam view and be used as a reversing cam. Didn’t realise the issue till I was using it for reverse parking. Hope this makes it clearer.

I can't find the manual online, can you take a photo of the page in the manual that shows the rear camera connection settings for each wire

KING-SLIM D1 Dual Dash Cam User Manual.
If you type this in this will find the site.​

Just so not to waste your time there’s no wiring diagram showing you what colour wire is designated to. It has a 5 pin DIN connection and one floating red wire that you have to guess where to fit. I had to research it on the web what other people did. Somewhere on the net a guy snipped the white wire and said that cured it. But not knowing what wire is designated to where I didn’t want to guess

the thing you don't want is to flip the image permanently as your recordings will be flipped which effectively makes them useless, if you cut the white wire you'd want to be sure it only flipped the image while the reverse trigger was active, the correct way to do this is to have the firmware flip the output on the display only when the rear cam feed was triggered to switch the display on so it shows a mirrored image but continues recording correctly, that's possible in firmware, products like this rarely get firmware support though so something that may never happen

if it is something that was done in the rear camera it is unlikely to be able to be able to supply a flipped video feed and a normal feed for recording (not enough wires in that cable for that to happen), at best it might be able to flip the image when reverse light trigger is active but I'd reasonably expect that your recording would flip while in reverse also, this type of rear camera is not firmware updatable after production either so not a fix that could be added later anyway

as a reverse camera it's questionable anyway as the display is way too small to be able to be that useful, I have 7" HD displays with HD cameras which give a great image and there's times when even as good as they are it still has its limitations, couldn't begin to image how limiting a small display like that camera has is going to be, image flipped or not

Well I think you’ve just made a very good point and now confirms what I’ve been reading about dash cams. You also made sense in terms of why have a small display for reversing. It’s all clear to me now but sadly annoyed why the manufacturers used it marketing that it has reversing cam. But hey we all live and learn. Many many thanks for your input.

I've used cams with that type of display for reversing but it's tougher than it should be. Unfortunately most dashcam advertising is rather deceptive moreso than with any other product :eek: Sorry you had to find this out the hard way but you're far from alone in that.

I was lucky in finding this website and the good people on it before buying my first cam or I'd be right there with you. I'm given to understand that in the UK you can return a product which is not fit for it's advertised purpose and get a full refund. Having the images reversed is clearly unsafe to the average user so I think you stand a good chance should you want to try that approach ;)

Phil

I think if I do try the legal way of getting a refund etc for what it’s worth I will take this one on the chin and lesson learned. Sadly we here web advertising and advertisers seems to lack in policing hence manufacturers get away with murder. I do thank you again for your input. Hindsight is a good thing as everyone says. Wish I’d found this site beforehand. Cheers

Li

I'm given to understand that in the UK you can return a product which is not fit for it's advertised purpose and get a full refund. Having the images reversed is clearly unsafe to the average user so I think you stand a good chance should you want to try that approach ;)

Phil
might be a challenge if he cut the rear camera cable open

might be a challenge if he cut the rear camera cable open
I don't think he did that though it was talked about. Anyway he's not returning the cam now. I do wish that everyone else was as truthful about their cams as you are with yours, but good people are few and far between so all we can do is educate those who come here before buying I guess.

Phil

Last edited:
I don't think he did that though it was talked about. Anyway he's not returning the cam now. I do wish that everyone else was as truthful about their cams as you are with yours, but good people are few and far between so all we can do is educate those who come here before guying I guess.

Phil
I was only going by the photos he posted above with the cable cut open, wasn't made clear if that was his photo though

I don't think he did that though it was talked about. Anyway he's not returning the cam now. I do wish that everyone else was as truthful about their cams as you are with yours, but good people are few and far between so all we can do is educate those who come here before buying I guess.

Phil
Hey guys thanks for keeping up with my thread. No I’m not returning the cam hence I was prepared to open the wiring sheath to expose the coloured wiring. The plan would have been was to perhaps swap the polarity of the cam feed in the hope to flip the image display, if at all possible. Now I understand the logic of why it was setup like it is, I don’t need to do anything to it anymore. I’ve reconnected it as it is and won’t be returning it or ask for a refund. If I wanted a reversing cam I now know I should just get the real thing. We live and learn. Thanks guys wish I’ve come across your site first.

Hi all

it’s been a few weeks since my post and thought I’d update you with my woe. I have dismissed any thought of response from my dash cams customer service. When all of a sudden I got this.

Dear customer,
This is the after-sales manager Jessica from Kingslim. I will do my best to help you solve your problem you mentioned in your review:
Rear view cam problem can anyone help?
My rear cam picture is flipped from right to left! I. E.
I am sorry that the the rear cam is a traditional rearview mirror, the image displayed on the screen is the opposite.
To bring you a better shopping experience,we would like to send you a new replacement at no charge or a partial refund.
Which one do you prefer?

Would you mind helping us to update your comment rating?
https://www.amazon.co.uk

If you have better suggestions, please advise.
Awaiting your response, I am always here to help.
Best regards,
Jessica
So I responded to have a partial refund and updated my review on Amazon praising the customer service’s attempt in making my experience better, though I didn’t change from one star.

then I got this.

Thanks for your reply.
We have refund you £25 (the gift vouchers),in this case, would you please update your comment to 5 stars in advance?
Once confirmed, we would send you another £25 gift card immediately.
Looking forward to hearing from you

this basically means I’ve got the dash cam for free if I gave them 5 stars!!
Well I did give them 5 stars and got £50 back. Now all spent!! But the price of getting 5stars eh!?

but do adhere to my previous post as I still rate it at 1 ⭐️ defo don’t buy it. I got mine for free!!!!

result (or have I been bought?)

Back