rear cam issues

Gray

Reaction score
Country
Belgium
Hello,

I bought a A129 plus duo recently and noticed issues with the rear cam.
My settings are all "out of the box" except that I'm using parking mode timelapse 2FPS (including Viofo hardwire kit) and resolution is 1440px1080 21:9 30fps front 1080p-30fps rear

Now at some point usually within 24h, sometimes 48h, the rear cam just stops recording along the way, usually when in parking mode, the front camera keeps recording.

changed the rear cable => same issue
changed 3 different SD cards=> all same issue (I have 2 brand new original sandisk high endurance cards 256GB and a cheaper brand 64GB one)
Tried firmware v1.5 and v1.6. both same issue.
replaced the front/rear camera => same issue!!

When it stops recording rear camera footage and I try to turn on the wifi, the wifi logo stays on forever and I need to restart it.

So... I guess this must be a bug?
I read some posts that the sd card adapter could corrupt the sd-card but on my last attempt I put it straight out of the packaging into the cam, same issue again within 24h.

It sound like a bug, when you say the camera in the rear drop out during extended parking guard sessions, i do not think it could be a heat issue say if your car was parked with the rear facing the sun.

I would get in touch with the seller and explain what you have tried to find the error, cuz i have a sneaky feeling the problem might be with the rear camera unit itself.
Multi channel systems can experience problems due to the wire to the rear camera, but as you have tried 2 wires already

Maybe get in touch with viofo support thru the normal route as viofo are not that active here on the forum at the moment due to the corona panics in China.
I dont have this model myself so i can not set up a test rig to see if i could replicate the issue.

If it was a bug, i would sort of expect the rear camera to be dropped at the same time every time it happen, but it do sound as if it happen at random time intervals.

I have used the sandisk high endurance card in other viofo cameras ( 3 channel ones ) and not had any problems there, though i dont test with really long parking guard duration in my car.
But i could simulate that with a 3 channel system in my living room window if need be.

I was wondering have you tried to start one of those long parking guard sessions with a completely clean memory card ? it could be a "hickup" in regard to the card being full, and then the system deleting old files to make room for new stuff.
Starting with a completely empty 256GB card, should mean it would take longer before the card is full, and this error pop out.

Thanks for your input.
I don't think it is a heat issue either as it sometimes occurs during night.
Last card was a brand new sandisk high endurance 256GB (amazon original, no 3th party seller) when the problem occurred the card still had over 100GB of free space.

I'll open a ticket at viofo.com, the seller already provided me with a replacement unit which I have now.
(the original unit also faced this problem but also showed magenta colours on some occasions (like in https://dashcamtalk.com/forum/threads/pink-highlights.36358/ ), this did not occur yet with the new one)

I will try and connect one of my 3 channel viofo cameras later today and see if i get the same in a simulated long parking guard session.
Normally i only use parking guard for 1 hour on the timer, but during testing i will do longer cycles, but i have never tried 24 / 48 / however long the little 50Ah battery in my small Suzuki car will do.

At home i have CCTV on my parked car, and it is extremely rare i park out on the town aside for shopping which are done in less than 30 minutes.

I can see my front camera came off its sticky pad again,,,,,, dont mater much will get replaced soon.
parking..jpg

Thank you for the effort.
But I do use my car in the meantime, so it's not a long parking session of 24h-48, it's actual mixed usage, sometimes I do a 30 min round trip to somewhere a day, sometimes a 2h round trip a day.
Usually the problem arises a few hours after parking it somewhere, (or not) but always within 24-48h after I fixed (restart it) from previous rear cam issue.

Ok, time for an update.
I made a ticket at Viofo, they gave me some tips, none of them worked.
Finally they proposed to update the firmware of the rear cam, but after 24h it was again the same problem....

So Viofo thought it must be the SD-card... as I just bought 2 sandisk high endurance 256GB cards I really didn't like that (as it also didn't work with my 64GB Mixza card.)
So finally I changed the rear cable with the one in the replacement box (my 3th one! after they already send one separately)
And now it is working for 48h straight! Could it be?:oops:

If it is, there is a quality issue with the rear cables if 2 out of 3 are not working 100%, maybe a problem with the shielding/ground?

Finally they proposed to update the firmware of the rear cam, but after 24h it was again the same problem....
May I ask which FW version for rear cam Viofo sent to you for update?

I am also having the same issues; the camera ran fine for the first few months (approx. six months). I did an extensive test to find out the cause but had no luck.
I reset the camera, but the problem persists.
I tried formatting the card using the formatting tool provided by VIOFO and reformatted it again from the camera itself, but the issue was still there.
Did a firmware update even though the old firmware was the same (V. 20210515)
I changed the parking mode from low bit rate parking to Auto event detection, camera started freezing and becoming unresponsive. This only happens after the camera switches to parking mode but continues even after starting the car. The only solution is to disconnect the power cable.
I disconnected the rear camera cable and did a test for two weeks, never had any issue. The camera performed flawlessly.

Then, I contacted VIOFO support, and they said it could be the rear camera cable issue and sent me a new cable. Used new rear cable for testing for 2 days, no issues were observed. Then I removed the old cable and installed the new cable permanently by taking all side trims out (bended few rivets and hooks with some damage in trims), but the problem came back again after a week or so.

I am pissed off now and just initiated a return. Luckily I bought it from Amazon, they accepted a return without asking a question. I think the camera itself is faulty, not the cable. If the support asks you to check with the new cable, I will suggest not installing it permanently but rather test it for a month or two first, the issue might come back again.

I am also having the same issues; the camera ran fine for the first few months (approx. six months). I did an extensive test to find out the cause but had no luck.
I reset the camera, but the problem persists.
I tried formatting the card using the formatting tool provided by VIOFO and reformatted it again from the camera itself, but the issue was still there.
Did a firmware update even though the old firmware was the same (V. 20210515)
I changed the parking mode from low bit rate parking to Auto event detection, camera started freezing and becoming unresponsive. This only happens after the camera switches to parking mode but continues even after starting the car. The only solution is to disconnect the power cable.
I disconnected the rear camera cable and did a test for two weeks, never had any issue. The camera performed flawlessly.

Then, I contacted VIOFO support, and they said it could be the rear camera cable issue and sent me a new cable. Used new rear cable for testing for 2 days, no issues were observed. Then I removed the old cable and installed the new cable permanently by taking all side trims out (bended few rivets and hooks with some damage in trims), but the problem came back again after a week or so.

I am pissed off now and just initiated a return. Luckily I bought it from Amazon, they accepted a return without asking a question. I think the camera itself is faulty, not the cable. If the support asks you to check with the new cable, I will suggest not installing it permanently but rather test it for a month or two first, the issue might come back again.
Sounds like maybe your getting some kind of interference when the camera enters parking mode. Perhaps routing the rear cable differently would help.

Edit - since you have 2 cables, maybe loosely run the spare cable over the seats to the rear camera to see if the camera behaves any different.

Last edited:
If it is, there is a quality issue with the rear cables if 2 out of 3 are not working 100%, maybe a problem with the shielding/ground?

I dont think it is production issues in general, though mistakes do happen of course.
But the rear camera cable are often the reason for erratic behavior in 2 channel systems, which is why troubleshooting the first thing you should try is to disconnect the rear camera and just run with the front camera for a few days.
#2 if possible would be to try and use the #2 cable that might be in the package, dont fully wire it in just drape it loosely thru the car for testing stationary, maybe along grab handles and the headliner at the side of the car for testing over a few days,,,, and just pray your curtain airbags do not go off meanwhile.

You also have to be mindfull about the camera routing, not least where it plug into the rear camera, i have a small hatchback, and my cameras are in the middle but i route the wire to a side along the top of the hatch before i make the transition into the cabin at the C pillar.
If you are routing VIA the cars cable grommets to a hatchback, you have to be sure not to manhandle the cable too much doing it, and in general dont have to tight bends of the wire.

What @R0cketMan experience do sound strange if he have not manhandled the wire during install, i have heard of cameras interfere with things and often the rear camera wire, but i have not heard of other things interfering with the dashcam that way.
But i am inclined to thinking he have been too physical with the wire, or maybe have a small bend right where the wire plug into the camera, that will stress the plugs connection.
This is probably also why some makers are now making plugs that seat extra well into the rear camera, and not just rely on the plug itself doing the seating like you get plugging your phone into a charger.

I would be more careful when he get a new camera, maybe just to be safe route another way if possible.

Personally i have never had a rear camera issue, which is kinda fdreaky as i have tried quite a multi camera systems since they become available.

I dont think it is production issues in general, though mistakes do happen of course.
But the rear camera cable are often the reason for erratic behavior in 2 channel systems, which is why troubleshooting the first thing you should try is to disconnect the rear camera and just run with the front camera for a few days.
#2 if possible would be to try and use the #2 cable that might be in the package, dont fully wire it in just drape it loosely thru the car for testing stationary, maybe along grab handles and the headliner at the side of the car for testing over a few days,,,, and just pray your curtain airbags do not go off meanwhile.

You also have to be mindfull about the camera routing, not least where it plug into the rear camera, i have a small hatchback, and my cameras are in the middle but i route the wire to a side along the top of the hatch before i make the transition into the cabin at the C pillar.
If you are routing VIA the cars cable grommets to a hatchback, you have to be sure not to manhandle the cable too much doing it, and in general dont have to tight bends of the wire.

What @R0cketMan experience do sound strange if he have not manhandled the wire during install, i have heard of cameras interfere with things and often the rear camera wire, but i have not heard of other things interfering with the dashcam that way.
But i am inclined to thinking he have been too physical with the wire, or maybe have a small bend right where the wire plug into the camera, that will stress the plugs connection.
This is probably also why some makers are now making plugs that seat extra well into the rear camera, and not just rely on the plug itself doing the seating like you get plugging your phone into a charger.

I would be more careful when he get a new camera, maybe just to be safe route another way if possible.

Personally i have never had a rear camera issue, which is kinda fdreaky as i have tried quite a multi camera systems since they become available.
At first I thought the same that I might have bended a wire while routing. Second time I was super cautious while installIng. I even moved my rear camera down from the previous position to avoid bending where the cable comes out of the headliner. I am very sure that the cable has not been damaged. I have returned the camera now, I will buy same camera again and use the same cable ( I haven’t taken out the new cable, I returned the old cable) and will update here again probably after a month.

Still working fine, but since I had some low battery indications I put it on a 12h "parking duration timer" now (as longer it means it's parked safely in front of my house)
(REALLY pity the plus duo doesn't have buffered parking mode):(

May I ask which FW version for rear cam Viofo sent to you for update?
It is version v1.7

(REALLY pity the plus duo doesn't have buffered parking mode)
Trust my experience. Low bitrate recording is much better than buffered parking mode.
Everything that falls into the field of view of the cameras will remain on the memory card.
128 GB memory cards to record my T130, with the front and rear cameras turned on in a parking lot at a low bit rate, last for 24 hours.

Trust my experience. Low bitrate recording is much better than buffered parking mode.
Everything that falls into the field of view of the cameras will remain on the memory card.
128 GB memory cards to record my T130, with the front and rear cameras turned on in a parking lot at a low bit rate, last for 24 hours.
This is true if you inspect your car within 24h.
Often I only notice new damage when I'm washing my car, once a month :D

You can only get out of something what you put into it. The T130 will do 256GB cards and we will probably find some 512GB cards tried in it soon. No motion detect is perfectly reliable so even using that you need to 'do a visual' on your car every couple days at least. I always try to park where I will see the passenger side when I return to it, and of course will see the driver's side when I get into it, plus whichever end is exposed. Only takes a few moments time and thought and to me my vehicle deserves it.

Phil

I think it's easy to walk around your car and inspect before moving off.

It is version v1.7
Do you mean V1.7_20210416? Is this still latest FW for rear cam? If your FW newer please share it.

Back