Rear cam keeps falling off of rear SUV windshield. Any solution?

smithdean

Reaction score
Country
United States
I have the rear A129 Plus camera glued with the adhesive tape (the same tapes you get in the box), to my rear windshield glass of my SUV. But it keeps falling off all the time. I tried with new adhesive tape and doesn't help. Yesterday I wiped clean my rear windshield and removed and put a new adhesive tape and glued it back but it has fallen off this morning. When I pushed it back, it won't even stay glued for 1 second now. I had no ussue with the front cam falling off of my front windshield and also because the front is bigger and has larger adhesive tape.

Now I think there are 2 reasons why this is happening. The main reason why it doesn't stay secured and glued is, unlike Sedan cars, SUVs have the rear windshield glass and the trunk door in one and whenever you open the trunk the rear windshield is also kind of open and as you keep opening and closing the trunk door, the camera adhesive glue tap slowly becomes loose. 2nd reason is here in Illinois state where I live, it is always brutally cold in the winter and it was minus 5F degree outside today and it is always extremely freezing cold in the winter here. So when I tried to glue it back this morning, it wouldn't stay glue even for 2 seconds. I keep replacing the adhesive tape and it doesn't stay glued. I am almost out of the extra adhesive tape now.

Do any of you have any solution to this problem? Any different type of much stronger adhesive tape I should use or maybe place the rear cam somewhere else?

Attachments

• 51701067-BC3B-4266-A21E-FA95FDC429BE.jpeg
    51701067-BC3B-4266-A21E-FA95FDC429BE.jpeg
    527.6 KB · Views: 30
  • 3E7B01AC-7305-4604-B66D-96DB941C9F4D.jpeg
    3E7B01AC-7305-4604-B66D-96DB941C9F4D.jpeg
    857.1 KB · Views: 29
  • 2DBD04F6-4706-4571-9FD7-4FA7BBE177FD.jpeg
    2DBD04F6-4706-4571-9FD7-4FA7BBE177FD.jpeg
    545.1 KB · Views: 28
  • 4C3C5D43-F5C3-4DC8-8F99-D6039D67B448.jpeg
    4C3C5D43-F5C3-4DC8-8F99-D6039D67B448.jpeg
    529.9 KB · Views: 28
Last edited:
img_20180412_191843-jpg.37453

My old rear camera was stuck to the metal of the rear hatch using a neodymium magnet 3/4" in diameter, so only half of the cameras sticky pad was on the magnet.
Both the tape / magnet bond, and the magnet / hatch metal bond was good for a couple of years.
Nothing to do for you then replace the dual sided tape on your camera, and try again cleaning the rear glass vigorous before applying.

img_20180412_191843-jpg.37453

My old rear camera was stuck to the metal of the rear hatch using a neodymium magnet 3/4" in diameter, so only half of the cameras sticky pad was on the magnet.
Both the tape / magnet bond, and the magnet / hatch metal bond was good for a couple of years.
Nothing to do for you then replace the dual sided tape on your camera, and try again cleaning the rear glass vigorous before applying.
can you tell mw what that is, more pics and links of whatever you use ?

The camera are much like the ones viofo use, but it is the rear camera of a SG9663DC system, the housings are much the same i believe.
I dont like mounting on the rear glass as that would make the camera more visible, on the pretty much flat rear end of my little Suzuki car.
So i got this "larger" neodymium magnet from my buddy ( these can be had in many shapes and sizes online ) The magnet have just the perfect size to space the camera out so it sit just inside the rear glass, where my rear wiper also give coverage.
So i first stuck the magnet to the camera sticky pad, and only about half of the sticky pad are engaged on the magnet, the magnet are just placed on the metal, these magnets are very powerful so it have never moved a bit.
Magnets of this kind but larger say fist sized, they are actually lethal when not used correct and will easy crush a hand, i think mythbustes once used 2 big magnets to deflect a bullets flight mid air.
But even the small ones you can not just pull them strait off whatever they are on, most times as you cant get a good enough grip VS how much you need to pull, so the trick are to slide them off, not least if it is 2 magnets engaged with each other.

My little Suzuki car are a bottom line model, so they have not wasted money on plastic trim to cover the metal of the rear hatch frame.

Suzuki_Splash.gif

img_20180412_191820-jpg.37452

The camera are much like the ones viofo use, but it is the rear camera of a SG9663DC system, the housings are much the same i believe.
I dont like mounting on the rear glass as that would make the camera more visible, on the pretty much flat rear end of my little Suzuki car.
So i got this "larger" neodymium magnet from my buddy ( these can be had in many shapes and sizes online ) The magnet have just the perfect size to space the camera out so it sit just inside the rear glass, where my rear wiper also give coverage.
So i first stuck the magnet to the camera sticky pad, and only about half of the sticky pad are engaged on the magnet, the magnet are just placed on the metal, these magnets are very powerful so it have never moved a bit.
Magnets of this kind but larger say fist sized, they are actually lethal when not used correct and will easy crush a hand, i think mythbustes once used 2 big magnets to deflect a bullets flight mid air.
But even the small ones you can not just pull them strait off whatever they are on, most times as you cant get a good enough grip VS how much you need to pull, so the trick are to slide them off, not least if it is 2 magnets engaged with each other.

My little Suzuki car are a bottom line model, so they have not wasted money on plastic trim to cover the metal of the rear hatch frame.

Suzuki_Splash.gif

img_20180412_191820-jpg.37452
You said you used a magnet and stuck it to camera's sticky pad and then to the trunk? Yours is metal and mine is plastic down and then the windshield glass above as you can see. I don't think the magnet would stick to plastic part of my trunk?

Attachments

• rear cam.jpeg
    rear cam.jpeg
    545.1 KB · Views: 7
What did you clean the glass with before sticking the new pad on?
If it is so cold sometimes it is better to warm the sticky pad and the area to stick to with a hair dryer or something which will help adhesion.

What did you clean the glass with before sticking the new pad on?
If it is so cold sometimes it is better to warm the sticky pad and the area to stick to with a hair dryer or something which will help adhesion.
It falls of all the time in summer or this winter. So the same adhesive tape I tried few time is totally useless.

Attachments

• rear cam.jpeg
    rear cam.jpeg
    545.1 KB · Views: 4
It falls of all the time in summer or this winter. So the same adhesive tape I tried few time is totally useless.
Once it’s been used once it will fall off. It needs to be fitted with it warmed up first time to give it the best chance of remaining stuck.
Failing that use magnets like kamkar has suggested, in the other thread you will see he suggested when there is a plastic trim, put a magnet behind the trim and then one on your camera.

Once it’s been used once it will fall off. It needs to be fitted with it warmed up first time to give it the best chance of remaining stuck.
Failing that use magnets like kamkar has suggested, in the other thread you will see he suggested when there is a plastic trim, put a magnet behind the trim and then one on your camera.
Where can I find such magnets? Amazon, home depot?

No in your case if you wanted to use a magnet, you would have to put a strip of metal or a magnet on the back side of that plastic trim.
But that still require you to buy dual sided tape to mount those magnets or metal there, so you are back where you might as well install conventionally on the glass.

In your car it also look as if you have to be down the glass a little to have the camera lens within wiper coverage ?

I am sure Amazon would carry a selection of magnets too.

Found this video demonstrating the power of a larger neodymium magnet.

But even small one, you do not want lying around if there are a kit that can swallow one.

I use them to hold the body to my RC scale truck, as for appearance i can not have the normal way of securing a body to a RC car, with 4 posts that come up thru the body and secure with 4 clips thru those posts.
There are a plethora of these magnets, even some toys as sort of like LEGO you can build stuff with these little suckers.

216-5mm-multicolor-magnetic-balls-magnet-toys-sculpture-building-original-imafefyutma8gebc.jpeg

maxresdefault.jpg

54611576231888.jpg

Just keep them away from kids, at the age where they have to put everything in their mouth, most often these can not be passed but need surgery to get out.

I totally forgot, back in the day when there was no dual cameras over time i had several different single cameras in the mobius matchbox shape / size in the rear window.
These on my magnet was way too low, so i got some metal plumbers tape, folded it over to make up a 2/3" X 2" rectangle, this i then taped to the camera, and put the magnet below it to grab on the plumbers tape and the rear hatch metal frame, so spaced out a additional 2/3 " the setup worked like a charm for many years.
Sadly these pics are gone in the where did you install your camera as the host i used back then are gone.

But it was a nice fix and did not require much in the way of tools, and really any thin piece of metal will do as the magnet will grip strongly as long as it is iron / steel.

I am actually at a place where i think i real man should have a few of these magnets around, like duct tape - zip ties - CA glue - epoxy glue - electricians tape - shrink tube ASO, there are always something to use them for.
I have also used them instead of a vise or C clamp when i have needed to clamp 2 tings together while glue dry for instance.

Mine is glued to the center top of my rear windshield as you can see in the picture. Right below the windshield is the plastic thing in which the cable wire is tucked inside as you can see. Magnet won't stick to windshield glass right? Pls see the picture carefully and tell me how do do this?

Attachments

• rear cam.jpeg
    rear cam.jpeg
    545.1 KB · Views: 4
Mine is glued to the center top of my rear windshield as you can see in the picture. Right below the windshield is the plastic thing in which the cable wire is tucked inside as you can see. Magnet won't stick to windshield glass right? Pls see the picture carefully and tell me how do do this?
There’s numerous replies now saying to put metal or another magnet behind the metal trim to then stick a magnet to or use a sticky pad but this time heat the area and the pad with a hair dryer. Short of someone drawing you a picture or holding your hand while you do it, I’m really not sure what else they can do.
It’s like banging your head against a brick wall just like the installation thread was.

No in your case if you wanted to use a magnet, you would have to put a strip of metal or a magnet on the back side of that plastic trim.
But that still require you to buy dual sided tape to mount those magnets or metal there, so you are back where you might as well install conventionally on the glass.

In your car it also look as if you have to be down the glass a little to have the camera lens within wiper coverage ?

I am sure Amazon would carry a selection of magnets too.

Found this video demonstrating the power of a larger neodymium magnet.

But even small one, you do not want lying around if there are a kit that can swallow one.
This requires me to remove that large grey color plastic trim right? I am not sure if ir can be removed or if it is easy to put it back as I am not DIY and suck at these things. Remove the plastic trim, put the magnet behind it in the middle and then another magnet on the camera in back of the sticky pad? Where would the rear camera be installed then? It will be on the plastic trim from the center top of the windshield where I had it before? Thanks

Yeah it will be a lot more work than just buying some new dual sided tape, and putting that on the camera instead of the old, and then clean glass and put back on.
Your car are not hexed so sticky take can bond to your glass just fine, but apparently something have gone wrong the first time.

I would be at your house in minutes with my tape and cleaner and fix you right up, but i am a very large and cold swim away as thats the only way i can afford to visit the states again :)

The magnet stuff are just alternatives, you should go with fresh dual sided tape and a extreme cleaning of your glass, maybe with a old rag and some nail polish remover borrowed from the wife / GF

Where can I find such magnets? Amazon, home depot?

You asked where to find neodymium magnets and I merely provided various sources.

You know, @smithdean, this is the second thread you've posted to today about this problem. The other thread, "Can't get my rear camera to mount on the plastic, keeps falling off" provided various solutions to the problem from several members, including me, along with information that should be helpful to you here. Did you bother to read them?

I would suggest going back to read some of the posts I (and others) made last August in that other thread such as THIS post and THIS one.

If it were me I wouldn't bother with magnets. As I described in the other thread I would use Scotch (3M) Grey #4941 VHB instead of the black 3M VHB #5952 tape that is usually used to mount dash cams to glass. Long time experience has taught me that Grey #4941 VHB is what you want if you are having trouble mounting a camera on textured plastic surfaces in a vehicle. Aside from superior adhesion it also removes easily without leaving any residue even after years. It is a conformable foam tape that will work better on the textured plastic.

I live in northern New England where cold winter temperatures are pretty extreme. Mounting a dash cam can be almost impossible in cold weather. I do my best to avoid it. The best you can do in cold weather is to try to get your vehicle into a heated garage long enough to warm it up and/or crank the heat in your car before attempting to mount the camera. Also use a hair dryer to heat up the mount and the surface before applying the tape and (firmly!) pressing the camera onto the surface. Make sure you clean the surface with ispropyl alcohol. Be sure to wait for the tape to bond before driving on bumpy roads.

I happen to use side facing Mobius cameras in my vehicle but I've used side facing cameras now for more than seven years. After experiencing many failed mounts where the cameras would fall off, especially on the bumpy mountain road I live on I learned that properly applied Scotch (3M) Grey #4941 VHB is the best choice. My current cameras have been securely mounted for several years without problems. (And they are "ceiling" mounted on very similar looking textured plastic to what you show in your photo.)

Mobius-side-mount.jpg

You want this product - the GRAY type #4941, not the BLACK version type #5952. @DT MI says the 30lb Black tape version of #5952 has worked well for him and you could try it but I find that stuff is difficult and messy to remove compared to the gray version and it didn't work as well for me.

4951.jpg

_3M_VHB_Close_Up.jpg

Last edited:
Back