Rear cam - my Subaru XV side swiped by 18 wheeler

Dimas

Reaction score
Country
United States
I was driving on 605 Fwy ( east of Los Angeles ) when an 18 wheeler side swiped me. He was changing lane.
Caught the accident on my generic Mini dash cam ( Cheap, no screen and records AVI, 720p ).
some files are corrupted and won't play; I have to use Handbrake to convert to cell phone size and make playable video.
Here is the link:

That sounded terrible when he hit you; was there much damage? There is a surprising amount of damage to the truck. In the video you can see the fender and bumper bent.

Oh no a fellow Subaru!
That is one hell of a hit. Looks like he jumped out and started huffing and puffing like it was your fault from the look on his face.

Glad it wasn't worse and you didn't get hurt.
That hit could of spun you and who knows where you would of landed.
BTW I too (or should I say the wife) owns a Subaru.

Ouch glad youre ok! That must have made jump out of your skin.

Oh crap, a fellow Subaru.
Did he have spikes on the rims? The cut seems little weird. Good thing is, you can just replace the door outer piece, not too much work required except painting. Glad you are safe.

Looks like you were in his blind spot and with some cars on the sides he lost concentration. Good thing you weren't in a bike. Did he accept fault straight away?

Looks like 18 wheeler came up on you, putting you in his own blind spot, and then forgetting all about you beeing there.
Therefore he is to blame for what transpired.

Looks like you were in his blind spot and with some cars on the sides he lost concentration. Good thing you weren't in a bike. Did he accept fault straight away?

Yes, he did.

Glad it wasn't worse and you didn't get hurt.
That hit could of spun you and who knows where you would of landed.
BTW I too (or should I say the wife) owns a Subaru.

The Subaru XV has a stabilizer system. That may have prevented the spin.

Wow that's scary. If their blind spot is so big can't they put something like a parking sensor on the side so they can 'listen' for things they can't see?
I hereby claim copyright for that idea.

Wow that's scary. If their blind spot is so big can't they put something like a parking sensor on the side so they can 'listen' for things they can't see?
I hereby claim copyright for that idea.

How about the reverse cam & monitor that you can get from Ebay for about $35; wire it so that it is always ON. Some even has ultrasonic distance sensor in one unit.

That's scary. Doesn't the truck have big blind spot mirrors?

I always get little nervous when I have to drive along side big trucks and there's no room to pass nor slow down.

i wonder if that cop we see finishing up with someone just before the accident also stopped to assist. one would hope so.

but yeah, i agree with @kamkar1 - the truck came up on you because he was going faster, and then you accelerated to get up out of his blind spot, and he put you right back in it.

those shiny chrome "spikes" some trucks have on the lugnuts are purely cosmetic. they push on and off by hand and in a wreck like this, they'd flatten and fly off instantly. the actual lug nuts/studs did that damage to the skin of the door.

and similarly, truck fenders are often fiberglass or aluminum - not structural, and only there for aerodynamic (and road spray) control, and maybe as a handy place to mount a mirror or light. them and the outer corner of the bumpers don't take much to deform.

" i wonder if that cop we see finishing up with someone just before the accident also stopped to assist. one would hope so. "
Yes, he did and both of us feel that exchange of info is sufficient.

Back