Rear cam Viofo 129 Duo with poor image quality in low light

claudiohi

Reaction score
Country
Brazil
Hello everyone.
I purchased the 129 duo, which works fine except by the rear cam. During low light filming, the quality is horrible.

The dots on glass shield were from a soft rain

Checked for rear cam settings (quality), but did not improve.

Thanks.

Are you sure the wifi is off??This poor image quality is because of low bitrate,when the wifi is on,the camera cuts the bitrate to half,resulting very poor quality image like yours.

Dear gabilondo77: yes, WIFI was enabled. But I could not find any mention in user´s manual about that...anyway, now I disabled WIFI and will test again.

Thanks a lot!

You're welcome!Test it and give us some feedback about the results.Also disable WDR and make sure Bitrate is set to High and Resolution to 1080p.

Please make sure you cleaned the window.

Also please don't expect same quality as front camera due to poor light for rear and the lights from the rear cars.

Even we use same Starvis sensor and F1.6 lens for rear camera, it is still hard to produce very good video for the rear camera at night.

Also please don't expect same quality as front camera due to poor light for rear and the lights from the rear cars.

Even we use same Starvis sensor and F1.6 lens for rear camera, it is still hard to produce very good video for the rear camera at night.
Dear Viofo Team,

What would be the recommended settings (Bit rate, Resolution, WDR On/Off, Wifi Off Etc) for both the Front and Rear camera ( I have IR version as a rear camera)?

You always want to use the highest image quality / bitrate, and have the wifi off as otherwise with wifi on the camera only use half bitrate.
Bitrate cant really be too high, but as dashcams are in the sun and heat they don't use super high bitrates as that generate more heat, also the higher bitrate the larger files the camera make and so you can fit less on the memory card.
Right now the best bitrate for 1080p cameras are 16 - 20 mbit.

In general higher bitrate are better, but if we talk low light footage, what make the footage grainy in low light are often a high ISO used by the camera to make the footage brighter.
If you could change the MAX ISO to something lower the footage would also be darker, but the grainy noice in the footage will be gone.
The front camera are aided by the headlights so in theory it don't have to use the same high ISO for its footage.

you can replicate this issue with a phone camera in manual mode, just turn the ISO all the way up in a dark place and you will see the grainy look in your picture, now turn ISO 3-4 steps down and increase exposure time ( can not be don't with hand held camera, must use camera placed on something steady and timer so the camera don't shake when you press the button )
But then you will see the grain are gone and you have a nice sharp picture if you have taken a picture of something that do not move cuz exposure time will have to be long.

Back