Rear camera cable excess

stehanson

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
What have people done with the excess in the cable?

I have approx two foot excess cable - is it ok to coil it and zip tie it then bury the excess in the lining above the window wound up

I have curtain airbags so have had to route it tightly from the rear to A pillar otherwise I would have lost the excess over the car length
tia

Yes, you can coil it, but keep it away from the radio antenna cable and don't coil it really tight (use a few big loops, not lots of really small ones).

My cable runs along the bottom of the doors under the trim then up under the door seal to the A pillar and along the headliner at the front.

That way I don't have to worry about the airbags

Yes, you can coil it, but keep it away from the radio antenna cable and don't coil it really tight (use a few big loops, not lots of really small ones).

Easier said than done theres a lot of wires running around the head liner- there are two cable protectors running into the boot lid, one has two thick wrapped cables, the other (passenger side ) about 10 thin ones, im guessing the aerial wire is on the left, with an fm booster in the boot trim, not sure about the DAB Aerial and cant find anything online, so its a case of trial and error on this one.
For now iv'e run the cam wire on the drivers side and ill run the HWK across the left of the windscreen and down the left A pillar, hopefully the HWK wont interfere either!
Not installed the front cam yet as daylight was running out on me and need to wire the HWK to the fusebox.
Fingers crossed!

I recommend letting cable slack lay un-coiled loosely somewhere along the run when possible, in one "U" shape somewhere unkinked, or in a series of single 'loops' as this will greatly reduce the chance of unwanted inductance. Distance as far as is practical from anything DAB, especially the antenna and it's cabling.

Phil

I had major problems with the antennae for the keyfobs, so I would avoid doing this as well.
I ended up re-running all of the cable down through the A pillar, through bottom trim, then up the C pillar into the headliner so that I'd had almost no left over cable.

Back