Rear Camera Cable Length (Volvo XC60)

lancairuk

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Three years ago I posted photos of the fitting of front and rear Mini 0803's in my Volvo XC60. Recently I replaced the batteries in the 0803's successfully, but thought the capacitor and combined rear camera in the 0906 would do a better and more reliable job. The fitting of the rear camera cable in a Volvo XC60 is a real nightmare and it took me a whole day to get it from the tailgate in to the rear of the car body. I now find it is about 12 inches (300mm) short of the front camera location and because of the straight design of the cable plug is impossible to route to the front camera. The standard 6m cable is too short. (I did measure it beforehand and knew it would be a risk). I have ordered an 8m cable and I am not criticising the package I received or the shop I brought it from. However, I know that most routings of cables in hardwiring are circuitous and I would suggest that an 8m cable should be standard for the majority of cars. You can, after all, hide excess cable, but you cannot find cable that is not there! I though that, as the plug at the camera end was a standard type I could buy and extension, which I did. WRONG!! Whilst the cable looks standard it is NOT. My advice is not to try to extend it with a standard extension, but to buy a longer cable from your supplier. I think the manufacturer needs to also consider extension cables as some may need even longer than the 8m available. The 0906, by the way, works find and the quality of pictures from both cameras is superb. The remote control is perfect. I am not looking forward to getting the old cable out and th new one in!

I agree with you. Especially these days when larger vehicles are becoming more and more popular the the SUV assault is in full swing, dual dash cam manufacturers have to take this into account and provide sufficient cables to outfit these large sized vehicles. I did not know that a longer cable is available for the 0906. Where can that be obtained?

Hi, I got it, very quickly, from my supplier. However, I think the basic kit should include it, with the option being for an even longer one. You can always coil up an overly long cable, but you cannot make up for a short one. Cars are getting bigger, not smaller. It is an option for all 0906 purchases and I would recommend choosing it. In my case it added 25% to the cost when I had to order it retrospectively. Michael

Back