Rear camera cable... Solved

R1KSU

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Dash Cam
Zerogogo R2. Zerogogo RW100. Mini0906. Viofo A129
I had an A129 duo before the pro, so I just changed cams and GPS mount, but used all duo cables as it was a hassle to route the rear cam cable, my front cam keeps crashing, but if I unplug the rear cable it's OK. Is the new cable different?

I don't think there is any difference, I am using a cable from the A129 Duo prototype, it looks identical to new ones and works.

What do you mean by crash? As in locked up and the buttons unresponsive?

It will power up with both cams for between 5 seconds to 10 mins, then just close down, or it starts but is frozen and needs cable pulling to restart, rear cam seems to flicker on the display, I think I tried the duo rear cam when I first got the pro, but just got the Viofo loading screen until I put the pro rear camera on.
I have tried 2 different 12v adapter, the cars USB socket and a powerbank, all with same results.

Sounds like it is not getting enough power.

Are you using the original Viofo A129 Pro power cable?

Using the duo, tried the pro, but it was the same. Cam still closed down.

Using the duo, tried the pro, but it was the same. Cam still closed down.
Viofo did upgrade the charger, HK3 hardwire kit and power cables for the A129 Pro because at times it can use twice the power compared to the standard Duo. You should use the ones developed for the Pro. The only times I've seen it lock up were when it wasn't receiving enough power.

I have swapped the cameras too,GPS mount and power adapter also swapped,but both cables are from old A129,I have the Pro running like that since one month ago without issues.

Viofo did upgrade the charger, HK3 hardwire kit and power cables for the A129 Pro because at times it can use twice the power compared to the standard Duo. You should use the ones developed for the Pro. The only times I've seen it lock up were when it wasn't receiving enough power.

Do you know how to identify what version of HK3 is for the A129 Pro? When I asked Viofo they told me they are all the same. Is there a special mark or model or serial number?

Do you know how to identify what version of HK3 is for the A129 Pro? When I asked Viofo they told me they are all the same.
No idea, it may have just been the cable that was upgraded to reduce voltage loss at higher currents. I don't think the older HK3 actually caused lockups though, I think the only problem with the older ones is that you could get high pitched cricket noises on the sound track and the upgrade removed that problem.

could get high pitched cricket noises on the sound track and the upgrade removed that problem.

I do not have this issue so perhaps I have the latest revision. Seeing as I ordered the dashcam and the HK3 at the same time hopefully they sent the correct kit that works with it.

Im off work for a cpl days from tomorrow, will put in both new cables and see if it helps, I did notice the socket on the rear cam is a slightly different shape than the plug, more rounded, no sharp corners.

Im off work for a cpl days from tomorrow, will put in both new cables and see if it helps, I did notice the socket on the rear cam is a slightly different shape than the plug, more rounded, no sharp corners.
Rear camera from the Pro DUO and regular DUO are the same. Your issue definitely sound like a power issue.

Maybe my rear camera port is faulty. Odd.

Rear camera from the Pro DUO and regular DUO are the same. Your issue definitely sound like a power issue.

When was the HK3 updated? I purchased a kit from you in early October. I haven't hooked up my rear camera yet, but it's been fine with just the front camera so far.

When was the HK3 updated? I purchased a kit from you in early October. I haven't hooked up my rear camera yet, but it's been fine with just the front camera so far.
I don't recall exactly, but I think it was at least 6 months ago. If you purchased the kit from me in October, then you have the newest version. I know the updated kit fix the high pitched noise that a select few were experiencing, but not sure what, if any, other improvements were made. As far as I'm aware, both new and older kits should work fine with the A129 Pro.

So is there more than one version of the HK3? If so, how does one tell the difference?

So is there more than one version of the HK3? If so, how does one tell the difference?
The HK3 was upgraded before the A129 Pro was available for sale, if you bought an HK3 with the A129 Pro then you will have an upgraded one.
Unless you are experiencing power related problems or cricket noises on the sound track then there is no need to worry.

This morning I tried the Huawei 12 usb adapter as its a higher amp for supercharging phones, and the rear camera stayed on for 16 miles, the longest so far, before the whole lot just turned off :(
@viofo

It will power up with both cams for between 5 seconds to 10 mins, then just close down, or it starts but is frozen and needs cable pulling to restart, rear cam seems to flicker on the display, I think I tried the duo rear cam when I first got the pro, but just got the Viofo loading screen until I put the pro rear camera on.
I have tried 2 different 12v adapter, the cars USB socket and a powerbank, all with same results.
Do you use the power cable from the PRO? The pro power cable is also updated. If the rear cam screen flicker, it is mostly related to power supply.

I used the Pro for a short time but the cable was hung down to the 12v adapter, it caused the same problems as above, but today I have fitted it to the roof lining so its no pressure on the socket, I am going to use the car for work tomorrow, so will let you know it its OK. but when I first switched the cam on it froze on the viofo screen, next time It did start but I could see the rear cam flickering in the pip screen.

When I got home tonight I spent 30 mins fitting the new Pro cable through the roof lining and the Pro power cable under the dashboard, It seems to work OK, the rear cam was not flickering and stayed on for 10 mins whilst I was tidying cables away. My A129duo is about 2-3 years old, so I guess there must have been updated cables in that time and mine wasn't strong enough, I will find out tomorrow when I use my car again. fingers crossed

Last edited:
Back