Rear camera cable

Pecon4

Reaction score
Country
Ireland
I've been using the Nextbase 512GW for a while now but would like to change to the A129 pro mainly for the higher resolution. Having read a few reviews where almost all comment on the thickness of the cable to the rear camera I wondered if the Nextbase one might work as it seems thinner and having one already fitted wondered if it might have the same USB connections and internal wiring. I was going to wait until I'm ready to change but thought I would ask in advance if anyone might have already tried?.

Peter

Thanks for that Jokiin, it looked much heavier than that from the photos. In fact it is much the same as the Nextbase one at 4.5 mm so it should not present a problem.

I've been using the Nextbase 512GW for a while now but would like to change to the A129 pro mainly for the higher resolution. Having read a few reviews where almost all comment on the thickness of the cable to the rear camera I wondered if the Nextbase one might work as it seems thinner and having one already fitted wondered if it might have the same USB connections and internal wiring. I was going to wait until I'm ready to change but thought I would ask in advance if anyone might have already tried?.

Peter

Word of advice, if you're going through the trouble of installing a Dash Camera, cutting corners isn't recommended. Manufacturers make their components specifically to meet the specs of their hardware. So trying to reuse wiring from one camera brand to another isn't ideal. No need to create problems by taking shortcuts.

"No need to create problems by taking shortcuts. "

A fair point. I wasn't anxious to be the first to do the experiment :). From the photos I've seen the cable looked a lot thicker than 5 mm and some of the comments about running it had me concerned.

"No need to create problems by taking shortcuts. "

A fair point. I wasn't anxious to be the first to do the experiment :). From the photos I've seen the cable looked a lot thicker than 5 mm and some of the comments about running it had me concerned.

I know it's a monumental pain in the ass to reinstall a camera from scratch. Removing trim risks breaking clips. It's a pain in the ass to remove the pillars and tuck wires behind side curtains (if you own a newer vehicle). The process of plugging in an "old cable" to a different camera is very tempting. But shortcuts in life don't always pay off. If you were going from Viofo A129 to A129 Pro, that'd be different story. And someone pointed out that the hardwire kit on A129 and A129 Pro might cause noise / static because the kit was changed.

So ultimately, I say it's better to do things right than have to do things over again. Use what comes with the camera is the most ideal solution.

The thickest part of an USB cable is always the connector. From routing standpoint, thickness of the cable itself is hardly ever an issue. Where the connector will be able to pass thru, the rest of the cable will pass thru as well. From electrical standpoint, however, thickness of the cable, or more specifically, thickness of the metal wires inside the insulating cover, is paramount. I've learned the hard way that it's not good idea to re-use another brand dashcam's cables just because they happen to be in place already. Another brand cables might not be compatible or they have too thin wires for the power needs of Viofo products.

All good suggestions and I'll stick with the manufacturers cable.

Back