Rear Camera - 'Demister/Heater Lines' - Avoid Damage & Blurry Footage?

Davekyn

Reaction score
Country
Australia
WHERE SHOULD I MOUNT with bellow in mind?

Hi, I just recently purchased the Thinkware U1000 front and rear cameras. I have mounted the front after two attempts and finally happy with it's placement.

I really don't want to mess up the rear placement as I might break the demister setup if I have to remove and try again. Not only am I worried about getting dead right the first time, I also don't want to wind up with demister lines running through the field of view (FOV) of the rear lens. Seems pointless having a 2K rear camera with a demister line in the way. I have heard of someone else on the internet that relocated their rear camera who comments how much clearer his view was because he no longer had demister lines in the way of his rear camera's view.

Here is what I am dealing with. I may be at a disadvantage with the slant of my rear view tinted window as is? What's your thought on that?

Excuse my goofy photoshop skills
Rear camera:
rear-cam.png

I guess I am mostly curious as to those who might have installed a camera as pictured above on a car like mine and how you guys went with these concerns in mind?

Reaer-2.jpg

Rear-2.jpg

LASTLY -I think I might of wasted money getting a second CPL filter for the rear camera? Do you only get one CPL filter with 2 channel kits because most (and mine) rear windscreen are fully tinted? Do I not need a second cpl filter? I'm guessing I should cancel my or order???

Thanks for your time.

Last edited:
A deeply raked window like that is probably going to be impossible to avoid having the demister in the fov, suggest trialing to see where it will be according to where you mount the camera and position it so the line is either in the top third or bottom third of the picture, whichever works best

Is there a way to see the rear display live before mounting with rear camera with the M3 tape? Thinkware U1000? Like Hard Wire it before mounting ... then using phone whilst having someone hold it?

Even if you don't have anyone to help you hold it you can always just use something like Blu tac to hold it in place temporarily and either use live view or record and review to see where the demister line is in the video

Even if you don't have anyone to help you hold it you can always just use something like Blu tac to hold it in place temporarily and either use live view or record and review to see where the demister line is in the video

Excellent idea! A+++++ The only thing is I have to wait till it's hard wired as the Thinkware U1000 kit did not come with a lighter power plug. I am not confident to hard wire myself. I've given up on the idea for now as my wife is going to take it into a car audio place that has had some experience installing dash cams.

I would prefer to avoid having the rear camera mounted low (I have requested that they don't) due to our car being parked out in the sun more often than not when not parked at home. I also don't want my boot taking up most of the picture. I'll ask my wife for them to use live view to ensure for the best mounted position.

Hopefully there will be enough slack if I need readjust.

I'll just have to hold my breath and see how it comes back. Good to know I have an option with the blue tack and a bit of M3 remover if it comes to it. Hopefully there will be enough slack.

Thanks jokiin!

Some guy attacked my with a pickaxe last week after running into me. Pulled it out the back of his trade ute simply because we had a difference of opinion. He meant business and I literally *&^% myself. I thought he was going to get off because I did not have a dash cam. Thankfully he has been charged through his own admissions. Hopefully there will not be a next time, but if so I will be better prepared and who knows - maybe having car security might assist as a deterrent. Maybe ... maybe not. I know I will feel better for it. Thanks again for your help. ;)

Got it installed today. Your right about the demister lines being hard to avoid on my car but it's not as bad as I thought. I have bigger issues with the rear dash creating reflections in my footage. I will post on that later.

Just made a new post as I am concerned about constant battery drainage to 12V due to parking Mode seemingly recording contiously. If you get the time you can find that thread here:

Just made a new post as I am concerned about constant battery drainage to 12V due to parking Mode seemingly recording contiously. If you get the time you can find that thread here:
recording constantly,or not, is all about storage space, there will be very little difference in how much power it uses either way as it still needs power when in standby ready to record, you should check your settings for sensitivity and also the low voltage cutoff point, particularly if you have concerns about the battery

Back