rear camera disconnecting

Do you have the auto reboot on or off?

In my case, I tried many different settings, and rear camera disconnected only after reboot (with scheduled auto reboot, and manual reboot). It also happened only after using the camera 24/7 for several days. If I had it running only a couple of days, rear camera stayed connected after reboot. I contacted Blackvue regarding on this, and they acknowledged it, but it was not fixed after firmware updates, so I keep scheduled reboot off and rear camera is staying connected since then.

Thanks. For me, even with the auto-reboot turned off, I'd lose connectivity to the rear camera (usually sometime during the night, but on occasion during the drive). For the past few days it's been pretty solid.

I initially had this problem when I first had the DR750-2CH installed just over a year ago. The installer swapped out both cameras and all was good until last week.

I have just done a firmware update to 1.013 and now the problem has returned. It also coincides with a bout of cold weather!

I have changed the SD card in case that was causing a problem, but the rear camera is still disconnecting.

I will now try downgrading the firmware.

What is weird is that the only way I can get the rear camera back on-line is to physically disconnect the camera from the power (it is hardwired via a Power Magic Pro). If the camera is shut down by the Magic Pro, it doesn't reconnect when the engine is running again.

I just registered to say i've been having this problem as well.

I tried updating to the newest firmware and it still doesn't register the rear camera. If i unplug everything and then plug it back in it works fine.

I turned off auto-reboot because it was causing freezing issues (camera would freeze after auto rebooting). Really annoying. What's the point in having a 2CH if the rear channel only works 1/3 of the time.

Is downgrading the firmware the only solution?

Ecsta - i'm not sure that downgrading the firmware will help - I want to try it as it co-insides with when I started to have the problems. However, some people have mentioned cold weather being a factor - and this also co-insides with when the problem started.

I fully agree with you. No point having a 2CH camera if the rear isn't reliable. In fact, the only incident I have had over the last year involved a cyclist who rode straight into the back of the car. This was captured on the rear camera, not the front and resulted in the cyclist admitting responsibility and his parents offering the cover the damage.

Ecsta - i'm not sure that downgrading the firmware will help - I want to try it as it co-insides with when I started to have the problems. However, some people have mentioned cold weather being a factor - and this also co-insides with when the problem started.

I fully agree with you. No point having a 2CH camera if the rear isn't reliable. In fact, the only incident I have had over the last year involved a cyclist who rode straight into the back of the car. This was captured on the rear camera, not the front and resulted in the cyclist admitting responsibility and his parents offering the cover the damage.

I have a feeling its firmware. I had no issues with my camera for a year and a bit until i decided i wanted the features that the new firmware versions offer. It's been nothing but headaches since then. The September firmware update seemed to solve all my freezing problems, but then my rear camera stopped connecting.

I've stopped recommending the 750s to people, my friend with the 900s has had no issues at all. I think my next cam will be a Thinkware.

I have now gone back to 1.011 - which as far as I can recall, worked well for me. The lady at BlackVue support was aware of the problem and said that they were looking for a fix. I guess if it is temperature related, there may not be one. I only downgraded this morning - so will report back with the outcome.

Apart from the obvious annoyance, my other concern is that the pin on the connectors are fragile. I would be pissed if I ended up breaking one because I have been pushed into a "fault finding" position.

I have lost confidence in the 750. I did look at Thinkware before making my purchase, but was put off by the extra gimmicks the Thinkware comes with.

I had the rear camera disconnect on me a couple of weeks ago. I didn't notice for a while because I wasn't checking my downloaded videos. A power-cycle (I have a hard switch in line with my power run for such a purpose) and it came back.
However, I'm still on 1.011 and won't be upgrading to 1.013 because I read on BV's own Support forums that 1.013 has problems with upside-down images that they're claiming "will be fixed soon", but that's a couple of weeks ago and nothing since.

I don't think it's firmware alone, or if it is, 1.011 has the same bug. I think it's a combination of cold and maybe slightly lower input voltage (as the battery drains in the cold) that's triggering a firmware glitch, and it won't self-correct until a hard power cycle.

Just as a matter of interest, how do you guys know that the rear cam has disconnected? Does the light on it go out or something? As far as I know, my rear cam has never disconnected and I check its light now and again in my rear view mirror. It is never out when I look.

Just as a matter of interest, how do you guys know that the rear cam has disconnected? Does the light on it go out or something? As far as I know, my rear cam has never disconnected and I check its light now and again in my rear view mirror. It is never out when I look.
The light is out, there are no rear recordings, and you can not view the rear camera live.

Started after the September update for me

Thanks Sancho. I realised that your second two symptoms would be true, but wondered how you could tell without checking the video. The light being out is a pretty strong clue though.
I'll have to keep more an eye on mine, but as far as I know, I haven't had any problems yet.
Not sure what firmware I'm running, but I'll check tomorrow and report back.

Thanks Sancho. I realised that your second two symptoms would be true, but wondered how you could tell without checking the video. The light being out is a pretty strong clue though.
I'll have to keep more an eye on mine, but as far as I know, I haven't had any problems yet.
Not sure what firmware I'm running, but I'll check tomorrow and report back.

I also find that when you go down to the car in the morning, the heat caused by the front and rear cameras keep a circular patch of glass clear of frost / dew.

After downgrading to 1.011, the camera has so far run for 24hrs without a rear disconnect. I shall report back...

A small update from me.
I've continued to have some random disconnects with the camera, but it's not been as bad as it has been in the past.

I have since turned on the LED on the rear camera so I know if it's on or not; I don't really like having it on because I don't want it to be visible to passersby at night so I ended up putting electrical tape on most of it so the LED is pretty much visible on if you're looking directly back at it. Security through obscurity!

The few things that I've made a note of, when the rear camera does go out, disconnecting/ reconnecting the cables (connection between the front and rear camera, as well as the power supply) often times don't get the rear camera to come back on. I typically have had to reformat the MicroSD card. Once that's done, the camera comes back on. I've also noticed by looking at the footage that when the rear camera does happen to shut off, it's not related to a specific time or temperature in the car, but instead it's when the camera changes status (e.g. from parking to normal recording... when I get in the car in the morning and drive off).

I'll continue to try monitor it

Current set up summary:
- Firmware 1.013
- BlackVue B-124 Battery Ultra hardwired into the fusebox.
- Reboot is turned off
- Parking Mode Recording: Time Lapse
- Recording in Extreme Mode
- Micro SD Samsung 128 GB Endurance
- LED: Rear Security On, Front Off

I have since turned on the LED on the rear camera so I know if it's on or not; I don't really like having it on because I don't want it to be visible to passersby at night
Switch off the LEDs in parking mode in the settings.

I keep it on so that I know that the camera is actually connected and working.

The Front security has a Normal Mode and a Parking Mode, but the rear is just a single one (both for parking and normal.... unless I'm missing a setting somewhere).

I use the rear security LED as a visual spot check that takes 1/2 a second to see (if it's on, then I know the camera is on, if it's off, I know I have to start trouble shooting). Without the LED, I'd have to log in each time to double check the rear camera to see if it's working.

I keep all the LED's off in parking mode (and most off in normal mode), but i usually quickly check that its working by opening the cloud app and seeing if i can live view the rear camera. I also have a BlackVue B-124 Battery Ultra.

Will echo that my issue seems to happen when switching from normal to parking or the reverse.

I haven't had any issues with the rear camera dropping out since going back to 1.011 on Saturday12th. However, the weather has also been a little warmer - around 4C at night.

UPDATE: I sent my DR750S-2ch in to get checked out for this issue when below 40F degrees. They needed the front and rear camera as well as the 128gb Blackvue micro SD. They could not duplicate the issue but I believe it was due to their location not having sub 40F degree temperatures. However, they still sent me new front and rear cameras. I have given it a few weeks of testing to be sure they are operating properly before posting this update. The cameras have seen about twelve sub 40F degree days which includes a few sub 30F degree mornings. Every single time, the rear camera fires up no problem. So in my case, the problem was a hardware issue. Good luck to the rest of you.

Back