rear camera disconnecting

Has anyone tried adding a dab of dielectric grease to the coax connections? It seems like several of you said it worked fine for a while then started crapping out on a fairly regular basis. It might help if the issue is compounded by weather fluctuations.

Same issue here, only my rear camera completely stopped working. Rear camera light turns on for ~30 seconds and then turns off (after power on). There is no footage from the rear camera and it doesn't work in live view. Thought it's a problem with a cable, swapped it out for a new one but it didn't help. Now trying to figure out whether the rear camera or the main unit is a culprit.

Well that didn't last long, the rear camera that I recently replaced, has died. :(

Interesting fact: Blackboxmycar sells rear cameras for Thinkware models but not for Blackvue, i wonder why :unsure::ROFLMAO:

Well, it's probably because you can't add a rear cam to a single channel cam and the 2CH cams have one 'in the box'.

It's a joke. Although I love me some good old conspiracy theory. Ordered a replacement rear camera - will report back how long it'll last for me.

after a lot of back and forth with blackvue, theyre swapping out my front camera. I firmly believe its the rear camera but whatever. if the new front doesnt fix it ill have to send them the back camera

There's a firmware update out that mentions fixing a problem with the rear cameras, hopefully that'll address the problems some seem to be having

It got warmer in Texas and my rear camera hasn’t had the issue until we got a cold front that drop temps again. I think it’s a safe bet that the issue is a combination of cold temps and auto reboot.

Just skipped to from page 1 to 9 reading this. I am sure there is a previous thread on this and the guy took his cable ends apart and they were a fraction of a millilitre short which disconnected in cooler conditions. It may the front or rear connection causing the problem as the cable can attach either way, could also be both ends. The guy was lucky enough and brave enough to buy the connectors and re-do it fixing the problem. As I said, skipped to page 9 so not sure if some else has mentioned this.

Colder temps have returned and I started having the issue again. I purchased a new wire from Blackvue and the only option for shipping cost more than the wire itself . Replacing the wire did not resolve the issue. $40 wasted

son of a b... same here. new cable didnt do the trick.... it def has to do with temp.
Do with this info what you will:
as I was swapping out the cable, i didnt tuck it into the crevices of the car yet. following a few threads I decided to turn my heat on (as its winter here) and let the air blow over the rear female port and male connector. then i plugged everything in while the connectors were still warm. It turned on! and stayed on as long as power was connected. then when my blackvue battery ran out of juice when i didnt touch the car for a few days, it happened again. no amount of disconnects, new wires, cigarette port adapter, would turn the damn thing on. I'm not going to untuck the wires again to try the heating trick.... does anyone else have an alternative? I saw someone mention dielectric grease... how would that work? I know the application would have to be precise....

son of a b... same here. new cable didnt do the trick.... it def has to do with temp.
Do with this info what you will:
as I was swapping out the cable, i didnt tuck it into the crevices of the car yet. following a few threads I decided to turn my heat on (as its winter here) and let the air blow over the rear female port and male connector. then i plugged everything in while the connectors were still warm. It turned on! and stayed on as long as power was connected. then when my blackvue battery ran out of juice when i didnt touch the car for a few days, it happened again. no amount of disconnects, new wires, cigarette port adapter, would turn the damn thing on. I'm not going to untuck the wires again to try the heating trick.... does anyone else have an alternative? I saw someone mention dielectric grease... how would that work? I know the application would have to be precise....
I don’t bother trying to get the rear camera to work until the heater warms the car up a bit. Once it is warmed up I power cycle the camera and it is good for the rest of the day until the nightly reset where it stays off when it is weather is cold.

I am skeptical around the use the dielectric grease to solve this problem because from what I've read, dielectric grease is non-conductive. Regardless, a small tube is only a couple of bucks at the automotive...what can go wrong, right?

Don't know how about you guys but when my rear camera failed i had to replace the front unit. (then it worked almost a 3/4 year without this issue) While dismounting process i noticed the connector for the rear-cam is quite hot, so i guess the deserializer gets pretty toasty...

EDIT: Forgot to mention, i'm talking about DR900S-2CH, but the internals are almost the same as the DR750S.

Last edited:
If someone can either fabricate a new cable for sale or find an alternative cable for sale that would fix the problem. I firmly believe the pins are too short on the cables

I saw somewhere a post where somebody pushed inner pin deeper into connector and therefore there wasn't proper connection, so could be a problem as well. But as i've said, i replaced my front unit without anything else (cable, rear unit still the same) and voila, it worked for almost a year (then i just returned the dashcam for other issues... :D ).

Back