Rear camera extension cable

Nygman

Reaction score
Country
United States
I have a long car, Ford Flex. While routing my rear camera around and behind things, I found I was about 6-8 feet short from the end. I did have to route it, in a roundabout way, to keep it hidden, but as is, I can't reach the back. I do see that there is a USB end and a round end. Would it be possible to use a standard USB extension wire to get me connected, or will that cause the camera not to work? If not are plug in extender cords available?

About a week ago I got to ride in a Flex for the first time. From the front passenger seat it's a much bigger vehicle than I ever realized, more like a van than a car.

Can you not send the cable straight above the roof liner?

Normally you can push it through fairly easily with something like a brush handle or bamboo cane so you only need access into the back to push it through and front to catch it.

maybe it is easier to use another rear camera cable to cut&solder them together to extend the 6~8 feet.
then use a tinfoil to re-shield the solder area.

maybe it is easier to use another rear camera cable to cut&solder them together to extend the 6~8 feet.
then use a tinfoil to re-shield the solder area.

How many wires are in this cable? Also, in theory, how far could one extend this cable and still get an acceptable signal from the lens module. This could open up some interesting possibilities such as on my pick-up truck for instance.

I have a long car, Ford Flex. While routing my rear camera around and behind things, I found I was about 6-8 feet short from the end. I did have to route it, in a roundabout way, to keep it hidden, but as is, I can't reach the back. I do see that there is a USB end and a round end. Would it be possible to use a standard USB extension wire to get me connected, or will that cause the camera not to work? If not are plug in extender cords available?

The Flex is a large car, but it's not THAT big. You just need to figure out how to partially remove the headliner to run the cable in as straight a line as possible from front to back.

Here is one example of someone on fordflex.net who was able to successfully route their rear cam cable in a Flex. Maybe you could ask someone on that forum who is more familiar with your car model. https://www.fordflex.net/forums/viewtopic.php?t=17488

@Nygman You can PM us your shipping address,we will offer free cable for you,but you need to solder together,ok?

How many wires are in this cable? Also, in theory, how far could one extend this cable and still get an acceptable signal from the lens module. This could open up some interesting possibilities such as on my pick-up truck for instance.

there are 6 wires in using, and 3 shielding materials.
technically the digital signal can be transfered to 10 meters, but recommended not longer than 8 meters.
as we are using high quality oxygen-free copper wires so you may try 10 meter but it is not guaranteed

there are 6 wires in using, and 3 shielding materials.
technically the digital signal can be transfered to 10 meters, but recommended not longer than 8 meters.
as we are using high quality oxygen-free copper wires so you may try 10 meter but it is not guaranteed

Thanks for the answer Rayman. Eight meters is impressive! That means this camera could potentially work in most any vehicle.

mini 0906 Extend Cable for Rear Camera too thick cant be mounted ! can we make it thinner like USB Cable !

Extend Cable for Rear Camera is very good built quality,that is why it has video signal even 10 meters away!

I have the same problem with a BMW 320 convertible (have to take weird route due to convertible workings and come up 1.5m short). Can anyone supply a 1.5m - 2m cable male to female with the 8 pin connectors as they don't seem to match anything I've seen elsewhere? Trying to avoid botched cable chop fix!

we made a test days ago, cut and solder and shield cables to 12M, then short it to find out what is the MAX length working well.
Finally we found the maximum is 8.6 meter on the sample.
so, we believe the recommended cable length for the rear camera is 8 meter for consistent & stability

we made a test days ago, cut and solder and shield cables to 12M, then short it to find out what is the MAX length working well.
Finally we found the maximum is 8.6 meter on the sample.
so, we believe the recommended cable length for the rear camera is 8 meter for consistent & stability

OK, thanks for info. Is there a specification of cable I should order to insert to mine to increase length? 8m will be adequate, i'll keep it as short as possible which should be about 7.6m. (But obviously this depends on having the right specification of cable).

I am sure for the DIYer it is best to purcahse the same wire, cut the connector and solder together pin by pin (color by color) then shield every wire, There is difficulty.
we will consider to make some 8m long cables but I would like to make a count first.

I am sure for the DIYer it is best to purcahse the same wire
Hi @Rayman.Chan is it possible to produce and sell rear cam wire with different length?
For example for my car enough 6 m. for other need 8 m or 4 m.
When buyer ordering 0906 he could select wire length from list of wire length (4m, 6m or 8m).

I am sure for the DIYer it is best to purcahse the same wire, cut the connector and solder together pin by pin (color by color) then shield every wire, There is difficulty.
we will consider to make some 8m long cables but I would like to make a count first.
Hi Rayman, I would be interested in buying an 8m cable if you made them. Ho much would you charge? Alternatively (and preferably as I've already run the cable as far as the boot) I'd like to buy a 1.5m to 2m cable with round connectors on each end so that I could just extend what's there. I'm really not confident about soldering such fine wires. Such an extension could then be offered as an optional extra for convertible cars and long vehicles.

Back