Rear camera failure (intermittent)

TomZweifel

Reaction score
Country
United States
Howdy, all.

I have a fairly early SG9663DC, purchased May 2018. The camera has been working flawlessly until recently when I've noticed the rear camera isn't starting up / powering on all the time. It might have something to do with the power down process; if the rear camera starts in the morning it will typically run fine all day and into the evening including parking mode during the day, and then a few hours of parking mode once I get home at night. If it doesn't fire up in the morning, sometimes I can shut it down, count to 5, turn it back on and it will start running again. There's no issue with video image or quality, it doesn't cut out while running. All the video files look good and they're complete. I'm almost tempted to say it could be a problem with the front camera not turning on the rear camera, but that's a guess, I have nothing to base that on. I think I can comfortably say the cable isn't the issue, I could imagine a whole bunch of different problems I'd be seeing if it were a cable issue. I'm reluctant to order a new rear camera without something more concrete to go on, but that's about where I am with it.

Any thoughts? Has anyone experienced similar?

Thanks for your input as always...

Since it comes with a 6 meter cable and a 3.5 meter cable. Test using your unused other cable to confirm or rule out a cable problem.

If it’s a rear camera problem the IMX323 rear camera is not listed for sale but we have a few spares. I can setup a steeply discounted rear camera replacement offer.

You can alternatively request a special firmware update to convert your SG9663DC to SG9663DCPRO so it’s compatible with the newer IMX291 rear camera as well.

Let me get on that cable, I'll let you know how it goes, and of course thanks again for your efforts.

My also very old DC always worked fine, and it is now in a box awaiting install in my friends car, but we got so much other stuff my friend would rather have me do for him first.
If it is the camera unit i would upgrade to PRO as Jon suggest, the IMX 291 do 1 up the older IMX 323 cameras, so for sure a direction to take if the chance to do it present itself

No dice. Still intermittent with the new cable. I thought I was on to something regarding how and when it failed, but I can't make sense of it. I just hope it's not a problem with the front camera.

Can we talk brass tacks regarding price for the rear camera?

Thanks again for your time and effort.

No dice. Still intermittent with the new cable. I thought I was on to something regarding how and when it failed, but I can't make sense of it. I just hope it's not a problem with the front camera.
which power supply are you using?

Can we talk brass tacks regarding price for the rear camera?

Thanks again for your time and effort.

If you think the rear camera is a problem, I have a few spare IMX323 rear cameras. Check your private message inbox for a steeply discounted replacement offer.

Hardwired 3-wire from you, same as since day 1, still intact, corrosion free and seemingly working fine.

My also very old DC always worked fine, and it is now in a box awaiting install in my friends car, but we got so much other stuff my friend would rather have me do for him first.
If it is the camera unit i would upgrade to PRO as Jon suggest, the IMX 291 do 1 up the older IMX 323 cameras, so for sure a direction to take if the chance to do it present itself

I was thinking about upgrading, but tbh I don't think it would be worth it. Rear cameras are fun when it's bright daylight out and you can see people behind you losing their minds, flipping out, singing to the radio, picking their noses, etc. But under low light conditions everything is mostly washed out from headlights, and dirty rear windows don't help. So I think the better camera in the back wouldn't really be all that useful. Just my opinion, of course.

Agreed, Tom. Most places in the world will usually fault the rear driver if they hit you from behind. Therefore if you only have one camera, it should be for the front (in case someone brake checks you, rock chip for windshield, cuts you off, etc.). Hopefully in the future dash cams will improve to a point where we can clearly see low light video. I for one would like to be able to see license plates at night with the rear view camera while the car is in motion (and not necessarily being tailgated).

I agree with you @TomZweifel it is only in town with some ambient light you get any use of a rear camera, but there are still challenges like the headlights on the car behind you, which can make it problematic to get that plate of his.
But it can be done, i even saw this on the cabin camera on the B2W i tested, in a little roundabout it captured the plate on the car behind me, all the way from the windscreen and thru the car and out back.
dunno if the cabin camera being in B&W night mode have anything to say.

I received the new rear camera a couple of weekends ago and installed it. The rear camera had been 100% inoperative for a good two weeks at that point. The new rear camera didn't work for about three days, then miraculously started working again.. Frustrating.

Any chance maybe resetting / reflashing might help, like it might be somehow software related?

I did run the 2nd cable that came with the camera to test, same issue. Off hand it's going to be something with the front camera, I'm just wondering if it could be something besides a hardware failure.

Older thread but same issue. Rear camera stops working. Tried a different cable, same issue. Bought a IMX291 and still nothing. Sometimes it works, but much of the time I get beeps as the front camera is very slow, as if it is trying to start the rear camera. Is there a firmware for my SG9663DC to work with the IMX291? I'm starting to think it is the unit itself. Thanks

Bought a IMX291 and still nothing. Sometimes it works, but much of the time I get beeps as the front camera is very slow, as if it is trying to start the rear camera. Is there a firmware for my SG9663DC to work with the IMX291? I'm starting to think it is the unit itself. Thanks

The SG9663DC came with the IMX323 rear camera. You have to update your DC to DC pro using a special two-part firmware update. I’ll send you a private message with the instructions now since it’s not something on our support site.

Back