Rear Camera Failure on DR550GW

TEB

Reaction score
Country
United States
Dash Cam
THINKWARE F800Pro
Apparently the rear camera suddenly and inexplicably failing on the DR550GW is a common occurrence. Mine began intermittently dropping out before the release of the new version 2.0 (English Firmware). I hoped the firmware might rectify the problem, no such luck. I've no idea if the rear camera is the actual problem or if it is something else.

I've contacted the vendor about the failure and a warranty replacement. They sold me the system in October 2013 ($350 USD) The vendor- Apple-CT - I've received absolutely no response in three attempts since March 9th. They are apparently a sell it and forget 'em outfit.

I've emailed the Blackvue folks, also three attempts and no response, also a major disappointment. They seem more focused on trying to manipulate the firmware in such a fashion that disables customers legally purchased systems bought from a country other than their own. A major major marketing mistake for them IMO.

So my reason for writing is:
  1. First to warn others from spending your hard earned money for this system and suffering the same fate as I.
  2. Secondly, I'd like to ask if anyone here has had a success in contacting BLACKVUE or APPLE-CT for service? And if so, how did you do it.
  3. Lastly, does anyone know how or where I can purchase a replacement rear camera?

I have had the cash sitting in the bank for a while to buy this but there just seems to be to many issues with it so it will be staying in the bank ....

I am really disappointed that what looked like a very good system has turned out to be so poorly designed and supported :(

I hope you get this sorted TEB.........

Apparently the rear camera suddenly and inexplicably failing on the DR550GW is a common occurrence. Mine began intermittently dropping out before the release of the new version 2.0 (English Firmware). I hoped the firmware might rectify the problem, no such luck. I've no idea if the rear camera is the actual problem or if it is something else.

I've contacted the vendor about the failure and a warranty replacement. They sold me the system in October 2013 ($350 USD) The vendor- Apple-CT - I've received absolutely no response in three attempts since March 9th. They are apparently a sell it and forget 'em outfit.

I've emailed the Blackvue folks, also three attempts and no response, also a major disappointment. They seem more focused on trying to manipulate the firmware in such a fashion that disables customers legally purchased systems bought from a country other than their own. A major major marketing mistake for them IMO.

So my reason for writing is:
  1. First to warn others from spending your hard earned money for this system and suffering the same fate as I.
  2. Secondly, I'd like to ask if anyone here has had a success in contacting BLACKVUE or APPLE-CT for service? And if so, how did you do it.
  3. Lastly, does anyone know how or where I can purchase a replacement rear camera?

"Half" or Russian buyers has same problem like you.
Regarding rear camera I think its OK. Apparently its firmware failure.
Please ask @alexsoll , he might help you.

"Half" or Russian buyers has same problem like you.
Regarding rear camera I think its OK. Apparently its firmware failure.
Please ask @alexsoll , he might help you.

Thanks for the replies...
I've asked @alexsoll - he seemed unable or unsure if he could help... has he been able to rectify other rear camera problems?
Thanks again.

I don't think he could rectify it but perhaps could have offered some insight as to what causes the problem

I don't think he could rectify it but perhaps could have offered some insight as to what causes the problem

Thanks for the reply-
Understood - you can check out the thread conversation starting at POST #44... I'm not certain what he meant by his reply -
alexsoll said:
firmware and back camera is not to blame the problem is that programmers Pittasoft ;)

I think alexsoll talking is right.
The rear camera issue related with TI surdex chipset. Sometimes it is hardware, sometimes it is firmware issue.
Before manufacture fix it, nobody can say it is ok. Ask to manufacture to help this issue.

I'm not sure Pittasoft know how to fix this problem, history suggests that if there is a problem they'll just keep selling them anyway, they've done the same with previous problem models

Hello all,

I've a bit of good news - I've done some troubleshooting and determined that the problem with my rear camera is the connecting cable. I borrowed another (newer BLACKVUE style with the right angle MCX connectors)cable. I plugged it in and the rear camera worked fine. I noticed it plugged in much tighter than mine. So I ordered a replacement cable. Meanwhile I went to my system and gently spread the MCX connector edges open a bit. And for the moment my rear camera is once again working fine! I'll replace the cable with my new cable when it arrives - and hopefully that eliminates the problem permanently.

Hello all,

I've a bit of good news - I've done some troubleshooting and determined that the problem with my rear camera is the connecting cable. I borrowed another (newer BLACKVUE style with the right angle MCX connectors)cable. I plugged it in and the rear camera worked fine. I noticed it plugged in much tighter than mine. So I ordered a replacement cable. Meanwhile I went to my system and gently spread the MCX connector edges open a bit. And for the moment my rear camera is once again working fine! I'll replace the cable with my new cable when it arrives - and hopefully that eliminates the problem permanently.

That's great news! Glad to hear that you have solved it despite the lack of help from the manufacturer and supplier (shame on them).

Andy

I have found the same problem with the cable. In the past I had the 550 the cable was so tight when I went to unplug it pulled the socket off the board. It had the older cable and it was messing with my dab radio. Now I tried it with the new cable to see if any better with my dab I make sure I don't push it all the way in. It's tight when pushing it in then it would click into place but was loose in its socket and would not connect to rear cam. Try not quite pushing all the way in. There is no way you would be able to keep removing front cam without causing connection problems.

Last edited:
Back