Rear Camera installation

Dawsy

Reaction score
Country
Australia
Hello, I just got the Street Guardian SGGCX2 PRO, and i wanna set-up my rear camera.

How do i set it up? Do i just need a cable that hooks from the front too the rear camera? If so what cable do i need?

Marcus 4 is the camera I wanna set as my rear.

your Marcus 4 is a standalone device, you could set it up in the rear but there's no connection with the front camera, if you want to add a rear camera you can do that but it's a separate purchase

your Marcus 4 is a standalone device, you could set it up in the rear but there's no connection with the front camera, if you want to add a rear camera you can do that but it's a separate purchase
The Street Guardian SGGCX2 PRO has a camera 2 imput port

The Street Guardian SGGCX2 PRO has a camera 2 imput port
correct, there are several slave cameras that can be connected, your Marcus camera will not connect to any other camera as a slave device, doesn't work like that

SG like other brands that do dual cameras, well they can only operate with the specific rear cameras sold by those brands, and rear cameras that work with that specific model.
The SGGCX2 pro i believe can operate with 2 of the SG rear camera offerings, the regular one or the waterproof one ( SGR291CAM or X2WRC323 )

So i can not take a camera from my K2S system and pair that with the SG9553DC camera of mine, only optional rear cameras from SG work with my SG9663DC front camera, and my old 9663DC i believe only have 1 option for the rear camera,and that's the one that come with this dual system.

It is only in some cases like CCTV cameras you can bundle different brand cameras together into a system, but all cameras have to support the underlying standard the system with with, in CCTV cameras this could be one of the ONVIF standards or one of the many other CCTV standards.
Some gopro you can also link together, but not with a SJ camera or DJI, it will have to be the same gopro cameras.

Last edited:
SG like other brands that do dual cameras, well they can only operate with the specific rear cameras sold by those brands, and rear cameras that work with that specific model.
The SGGCX2 pro i believe can operate with 2 of the SG rear camera offerings, the regular one or the waterproof one ( SGR291CAM or X2WRC323 )

So i can not take a camera from my K2S system and pair that with the SG9553DC camera of mine, only optional rear cameras from SG work with my SG9663DC front camera, and my old 9663DC i believe only have 1 option for the rear camera,and that's the one that come with this dual system.

It is only in some cases like CCTV cameras you can bundle different brand cameras together into a system, but all cameras have to support the standard the system with with, in CCTV cameras this could be one of the ONVIF standards or one of the many other CCTV standards.
Some gopro you can also link together, but not with a SJ camera or DJI, it will have to be the same gopro cameras.

Arghh I get it now. So i'd have to buy the Street Guardian X2WRC323 for a rear camera that suits the Street Guardian SGGCX2, correct?

https://www.dashcamownersaus.com.au...eet-guardian-rear-camera-waterproof-external/

Yes if you want to use that camera on the outside of your car, otherwise the normal SGR291CAM are the one to stick on the inside glass of your car.

But it seel like there are no wire with that camera but the site do say it should work with the SGGCX2PRO "Rear Camera for SGGCX2PRO / Replacement Camera SG9663DC "
That camera do however look like its just a spare camera as it dont seem to have the wire too, and so are not the optional to the stand alone SGGCX"pro camera to upgrade that to a dual system.
So probably a bug on DOA onlike shop, its a spare camera and not the upgrade camera ( plus wire ) of the SGR291CAM.

Multi camera systems are a matter of protocols they need to speak together, so while viofo rear cameras look like clones of the cameras street guardian use, they will probably not work together.
And differnt brands might also use different plugs to connect their cameras.

SGR291CAM i think is the one you will need, to get the wire + camera and what else you need to install and mount the rear camera.
And you should also be able to get that on good old AU, and probably at dashcam Owners Australia too, just not able to find it in their shop.
Maybe @jokiin can advise of another place to get the upgrade camera bundle in AU

I think DOA have a little mess on their page, if you go for the SGGCX2PRO in one of the bundles that spare camera are listed lower on the page as other things you might like, and i think that should be replaced with the SGR291CAM bundle

Maybe @jokiin can contact DOA and get them to have their ship in order, cuz that lone rear camera are a replacement camera, and while it is for the SGGCX2PRO too, then it should be under spare parts and not upgrade parts for that model.

I drive a little 5 door hatchback too, mine are just a Suzuki Splash ( and other brand / names )

Yes if you want to use that camera on the outside of your car, otherwise the normal SGR291CAM are the one to stick on the inside glass of your car.

But it seel like there are no wire with that camera but the site do say it should work with the SGGCX2PRO "Rear Camera for SGGCX2PRO / Replacement Camera SG9663DC "
That camera do however look like its just a spare camera as it dont seem to have the wire too, and so are not the optional to the stand alone SGGCX"pro camera to upgrade that to a dual system.
So probably a bug on DOA onlike shop, its a spare camera and not the upgrade camera ( plus wire ) of the SGR291CAM.

Multi camera systems are a matter of protocols they need to speak together, so while viofo rear cameras look like clones of the cameras street guardian use, they will probably not work together.
And differnt brands might also use different plugs to connect their cameras.

SGR291CAM i think is the one you will need, to get the wire + camera and what else you need to install and mount the rear camera.
And you should also be able to get that on good old AU, and probably at dashcam Owners Australia too, just not able to find it in their shop.
Maybe @jokiin can advise of another place to get the upgrade camera bundle in AU

This the one you're talking about? - https://www.dashcamownersaus.com.au/shop/accessories/street-guardian-rear-camera-internal/

Sorry for the trouble, never had a rear camera before :p

My Suzuki i have mounted like this ( use neodynium magnet to space camera out and install on rear hatch frame )

img_20180412_191820-jpg.37452

img_20180412_191843-jpg.37453

Yes thats the camera you will want to out on your rear window and connect to your SGGCX2PRO front camera.

As you can see by my pictures i have not routed the cable to the rear camera thru the rubber grommet on the rear hatch.
But i do a lot of dashcam testing for SG and others, so at least in the start it is not a good idea for me to install cameras too good as i might need to make changes.

That Marcus you have in surplus, give that to a person you care for and earn good karma points :cool:

Yes thats the camera you will want to out on your rear window and connect to your SGGCX2PRO front camera.

As you can see by my pictures i have not routed the cable to the rear camera thru the rubber grommet on the rear hatch.
But i do a lot of dashcam testing for SG and others, so at least in the start it is not a good idea for me to install cameras too good as i might need to make changes.

Oh i see what you did, use a magnet and possibly something sticky to stick then together?

If their one that comes with a mount do you know? Happy to buy elsewhere

Yes instead of sticking to the window i just did to the magnet instead, for many years the same magnet have held single cameras in place there ( mobius and others ) as i want to bring the whole camera and not have to mess with the little spring loaded memory cards in the car.
And with the way the wire plug into the rear camera i was not able to mount it on the glass unless it had to be pretty low on it then, and i am a sucker for a stealthy install, so the old magnet came in handy again.
If your Toyota have some plastic trim there on the hatch you could mount off that, but then you probably need another kind of dual sided tape as the one that come with the dashcams are made for flat glass, and plastic trim are not that flat a surface.
But you can always use the included sticky pad at first, just don't be surprised if it let go of the plastic trim after a while.

I have the lens right up against the glass so i don't have any of the heater elements in the rear window in the footage.

Back