Rear camera options

meagap

Reaction score
Country
United States
Here's my predicament. I want to use the rear camera on my cabriolet. I can't mount on the rear glass, so I'm looking at either mounting on the windshield next to the main camera in a taxi cam style arrangement, or mounting a rear facing camera on the exterior similar to a back up camera.

If I do the interior on the windshield, I won't need the 6 meter cord. Is there a shorter cord, or a camera I can use in place of the provided camera? Tucking away all the provided cord doesn't seem practical when all I need is six inches or so.

If I go with an exterior camera, I'll need something waterproof that will plug into the 0906's equipment.

Ideas? I've been searching the internet all and found nothing.

I also plan to power the camera through the mirror power with a power tap/converter. I'm more interested in simplicity and compactness than the parking guard feature. Any issues with this plan?

Thanks!

Ed

You could always cut the camera wire down to desired length and resolder the wires together. I'm not sure what it looks like under the first layer of insulation, but don't just cut the wire completely in one go. Strip it down layer by layer, so you can mark the wires before you cut them so you know which wire on one end corresponds with which wire on the other end. Make sure to leave as much interior fiber insulation as possible and use heat shrink wrap over the individual connections.

If you could find out what kind of cable it is, there may just be a shorter version of it out there on the internets. I'm sure @Rayman.Chan would probably know if one exists. If not, then chopping it down is your only option I think if you go for the taxi cam style setup.

yes we are going to make some small quantity the short extending cables but we are not sure the length.
Ed mentioned he prefer 6inches, plus the original cable on rear camera 10inches so total 16inches (40cm) offset from camera body.
for me I perfer longer maybe up to 60cm total so the rear camera can be mount to the corner of front windshield.

what is your thought?

for me I perfer longer maybe up to 60cm total so the rear camera can be mount to the corner of front windshield.

what is your thought?

that's probably a better idea, hiding an extra 20cm of cable is much easier than hiding a few meters of cable

yes we are going to make some small quantity the short extending cables but we are not sure the length.
Ed mentioned he prefer 6inches, plus the original cable on rear camera 10inches so total 16inches (40cm) offset from camera body.

what is your thought?
I would be very happy with 60cm.

what is your thought?

Hi Rayman. Any update on the shorter cable for the rear camera?

Here's my predicament. I want to use the rear camera on my cabriolet. I can't mount on the rear glass, so I'm looking at either mounting on the windshield next to the main camera in a taxi cam style arrangement, or mounting a rear facing camera on the exterior similar to a back up camera.

If I do the interior on the windshield, I won't need the 6 meter cord. Is there a shorter cord, or a camera I can use in place of the provided camera? Tucking away all the provided cord doesn't seem practical when all I need is six inches or so.

If I go with an exterior camera, I'll need something waterproof that will plug into the 0906's equipment.

Ideas? I've been searching the internet all and found nothing.

I also plan to power the camera through the mirror power with a power tap/converter. I'm more interested in simplicity and compactness than the parking guard feature. Any issues with this plan?

Thanks!

Ed
Did you ever find a resolution to your Cabriolet problem? I am looking for the same resolution right now.

Did you ever find a resolution to your Cabriolet problem? I am looking for the same resolution right now.

I ended up cutting the supplied cable down to a shorter length. It worked but the resulting cable was way too thick and I don't use it.

I have a cabriolet car - and fortunately i have two young children - so i mounted it on the rear car seat at the top (as the head adjustment goes over the back head rest, just!) works a charm and is very stealthy, and been working for a few years this way!

I ended up cutting the supplied cable down to a shorter length. It worked but the resulting cable was way too thick and I don't use it.
Where did you eventually mount your rear view camera? On the inside of the hardtop window, our somewhere outside the vehicle (license plate-rear bumper)for when the hardtop is stored inside the trunk?

I have a cabriolet car - and fortunately i have two young children - so i mounted it on the rear car seat at the top (as the head adjustment goes over the back head rest, just!) works a charm and is very stealthy, and been working for a few years this way!
Hi p_dashcam.
This sounds like a great solution.
When the top is up you are shooting through the glass; and the camera is a distance from the glass as opposed to attached to it,
Have you found any problems induced by this; such as excessive glare, reflections from the glass, and etc?
Does the rear window frame restrict the camera area of view?
How far from the rear glass is the camera?
Best
Edward

Back