Rear camera solution for 512GW

Danger Close

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Dash Cam
NextBase 512GW
Now NextBase has discontinued the rear camera for the older models, are people using other cameras as a possible solution? Would different cameras work? Using a USB adaptor, would the series 2 rear cameras work on the older models?

Last edited:
Hi there,

So the 512GWRC has now no longer in production or sold by us. Regarding Rear Cameras there are 2 options:

1) I'd recommend using a separate Camera such as a 312GW or 122 on the rear windscreen. You will need a separate power supply and SD card as it will not connect to your 512GW, but can be used as a Camera facing rearwards. The prices are comparable with the Series 2 Rear Cams, and if you'd like to keep using your 512GW, is the most viable option.
2) If you upgrade to a Series 2 Camera, there are 3 different Series 2 Rear Cameras that are all compatible with the 322GW, 422GW, 522GW and 622GW. Unfortunately the Series 2 Rear Cameras will not work with any other devices apart from the ones I have listed above. These Rear Cams do not require separate powering or SD cards.

I hope this helps.

Regards,
Millie- Nextbase

I have just purchased nexbase 512gw front rear camera from Halfords and fitted it to an Audi A6 avant. Lots of work to run the rear cable. Worked great for 1 week. I adjusted the rear camera angles today and it just stopped working, plenty of slack to connector so it’s not damaged the cable when adjusting. I have just seen a lot of people with the same issue on here. Wish I’d read reviews before waisting my time and money.

Try a different cable. I've had two Nextbase usb cables for the front and lasted less than 3 months. Try RS Components.

Thanks for your suggestion. There does seem to be a wider issue with the power and ancillary cables for nextbase brands. Ive now returned mine for a refund and I’m going with a more reliable brand.

Hi there,

So the 512GWRC has now no longer in production or sold by us. Regarding Rear Cameras there are 2 options:

1) I'd recommend using a separate Camera such as a 312GW or 122 on the rear windscreen. You will need a separate power supply and SD card as it will not connect to your 512GW, but can be used as a Camera facing rearwards. The prices are comparable with the Series 2 Rear Cams, and if you'd like to keep using your 512GW, is the most viable option.
2) If you upgrade to a Series 2 Camera, there are 3 different Series 2 Rear Cameras that are all compatible with the 322GW, 422GW, 522GW and 622GW. Unfortunately the Series 2 Rear Cameras will not work with any other devices apart from the ones I have listed above. These Rear Cams do not require separate powering or SD cards.

I hope this helps.

Regards,
Millie- Nextbase
Thanks for the suggestion. My reason for having the rear view camera was to use it for reverse parking. Ive got a garmin one now.

Thanks for the suggestion. My reason for having the rear view camera was to use it for reverse parking. Ive got a garmin one now.
Was it a brand new 512 or was it classed as Refurbished? As I haven't seen the 512's on sale as new for quite some time.

I had a similar problem with the rear camera on the 512. I sent it to Nextbase (after they first sent out a replacement cable which didn’t help) the problem turned out to be a broken connection on the usb connector. It is soldered directly onto the circuit board and the usb cable is quite stiff so as the near door is opened it flexes the cable which must stress the connector joint. I fitted it again and it worked fine but same thing has happened again less than 6months. very bad design. it’s only useful where it will not have anyone touch it as it’s so fragile. i might open mine up to see if i can fix it as it’s out of warranty and there isn’t an alternative camera

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
K 512GW 1
G 512GW 30
P 512GW 1
C 512GW 7
D 512GW 1
Back