Rear camera stuttering footage in low-light

Teflon490

Reaction score
Country
Czech Republic
Dash Cam
A129 Pro Duo
Has anyone else noticed stuttering in the video taken by rear camera in low-light? It is nicely visible when passing from daylight into a tunnel and then out. It seems like the camera switches between 2 modes, normal light where it is smooth and then some low-light (probably ISO switch) where it is noticeably stuttering. Wondering why this is and if it is a limitation of HW or something else?

It is a know issue related to the WDR with the current firmware. Perhaps viofo is working on a fix for it.

Has anyone else noticed stuttering in the video taken by rear camera in low-light? It is nicely visible when passing from daylight into a tunnel and then out. It seems like the camera switches between 2 modes, normal light where it is smooth and then some low-light (probably ISO switch) where it is noticeably stuttering. Wondering why this is and if it is a limitation of HW or something else?
Does it look similar to this?

Not really, I know about this WDR issue. I have WDR turned off. This is really stuttering, the video is not smooth, here is the example:

Not really, I know about this WDR issue. I have WDR turned off. This is really stuttering, the video is not smooth, here is the example:

Are you talking about that 'ticking' style of slight pauses? I definitely do not have that on my A129 Pro Duo. Is your memory card up to the task of concurrent 4K+1080P recording? Perhaps the card isn't keeping up or a power supply issue?

Yes, exactly, the slight pauses, also called in gaming "micro-stutters". I have Samsung Evo Plus 256MB (U3), so it should be fine, power supply is the original one for 12V socket.
But if it was caused by card or power supply, why would it manifest itself only in low-light? It is clearly visible that in the daylight is it nicely fluid, so the main trigger are lighting conditions. I have also noticed similar stuttering in other people's videos on YT, but not in all of them.

Yes, exactly, the slight pauses, also called in gaming "micro-stutters". I have Samsung Evo Plus 256MB (U3), so it should be fine, power supply is the original one for 12V socket.
But if it was caused by card or power supply, why would it manifest itself only in low-light? It is clearly visible that in the daylight is it nicely fluid, so the main trigger are lighting conditions. I have also noticed similar stuttering in other people's videos on YT, but not in all of them.

I was trying to remember the term "micro-stutters"! Yes exactly what I going for.

Reason I mainly suggested those two aspects was you have control of both. Beyond that it’s possibly a warranty aspect. Also is the rear cable pinched / damaged / seated correctly? Reseat the rear camera cable on both ends and make sure the ports are clean.

I only use a proper dashcam certified SD "high endurance" card - never had a problem as a result. The Samsung Evo Plus is ultimately not intended for dashcam usage. It might work but it’s not the ideal card (so the card manufacturers tell us).

One thing that jumps to mind about why only in low light is you have your headlights / taillights / dash lighting on which creates a higher strain on the car electrical systems. Perhaps there is a voltage drop occurring and upsetting the camera. Is there any clicks or pops at every freeze? I didn't hear any audio on your video.

Also try an in camera SD card format and factory reset of the dashcam.

Just a few things that I would start with in an attempt to troubleshoot.

Thanks for your suggestions. The sound is ok, no distortions during the stutters. I actually use the 8m optional cable. I might try to switch to the original 6m supplied one to see if it is any better. Also, I will try to decrease the resolution of the front cam and lower the bitrate. If the card is the culprit, the stutters should be gone or at least less visible.

Also, here is another example of the same issue:

So I am definitely not the only one experiencing it. Maybe some specific setting/combination of settings used?

I see what you mean now. different issue. I haven't noticed that on mine.

Also, here is another example of the same issue:

So I am definitely not the only one experiencing it. Maybe some specific setting/combination of settings used?

I wonder if the higher rear EV could be a possible culprit? You could be on to something regarding 'specific setting/combination of settings used". I ran my rear cam at +1/3 to counter my tinted window but it introduced blur. I subsequently returned it to 0. Try having all default settings after a factory reset and see if it still occurs. As I said my A129 Pro does not appear to do this.

Start reading from post #436

Back