Rear Camera Upgrade Options

TonyM

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Dash Cam
A139, M1S
I already have a front-facing SG9665GC and a rear-facing Mobius2. The GC is performing well. The M2 is not. I do however like the discreet matchbox shape of the M2 that I can attach directly to the headliner, which just happens to be angled pretty much spot on for a rear-facing camera - see here with my M1 and my M2 side-by-side:
2016-10-08-07-00-01-jpg.26653

My Mobius 1 is the original 90-degree A-lens, which is a little bit narrower than I would like. It currently runs in my wife's car, although I can get it back if I want it :sneaky:

So here's what I'm considering as options to upgrade my rear-facing camera:
1. Don't buy anything. Use the Mobius1 with 90deg lens A. Give the M2 to my wife :whistle:
2. Buy a Mobius1 with new 130deg lens D. Use the M1 with 90deg FOV up front alongside the GC.
3. Wait for the Gitup F1 - due to be released at the end of this month and can be mounted like the Mobius
4. Wait for the dual-channel SG9663DC (rear camera should mount OK on my headliner). Donate the GC to my wife :). Spare Mobii as action cameras.

I like the action camera format since I can also use them with the kids toys, on my RC truck or my bike etc. However I don't really want a Go-Pro style body & mount hanging down from the rear headliner which is not very discreet.

You could also move old cameras to the side of the car, my M1 do a excellent job covering my Left side.
BUT the A lens are not optimal for a side camera, but you can pretty easy change that lens to something else that have a wider FOV

I already have a front-facing SG9665GC and a rear-facing Mobius2. The GC is performing well. The M2 is not. I do however like the discreet matchbox shape of the M2 that I can attach directly to the headliner, which just happens to be angled pretty much spot on for a rear-facing camera - see here with my M1 and my M2 side-by-side:
2016-10-08-07-00-01-jpg.26653

My Mobius 1 is the original 90-degree A-lens, which is a little bit narrower than I would like. It currently runs in my wife's car, although I can get it back if I want it :sneaky:

So here's what I'm considering as options to upgrade my rear-facing camera:
1. Don't buy anything. Use the Mobius1 with 90deg lens A. Give the M2 to my wife :whistle:
2. Buy a Mobius1 with new 130deg lens D. Use the M1 with 90deg FOV up front alongside the GC.
3. Wait for the Gitup F1 - due to be released at the end of this month and can be mounted like the Mobius
4. Wait for the dual-channel SG9663DC (rear camera should mount OK on my headliner). Donate the GC to my wife :). Spare Mobii as action cameras.

I like the action camera format since I can also use them with the kids toys, on my RC truck or my bike etc. However I don't really want a Go-Pro style body & mount hanging down from the rear headliner which is not very discreet.

My vote would be to replace the 90º lens on the M1 with a wider one or buy a new wider lens M1 as a temporary camera until something better comes along that is small but with better night performance. My rear Mobius is a "B" lens which I find to be just about perfect for my needs. Since the B lens is no longer available, the current C2 or D lens set to narrow would provide similar coverage.

I've posted this image several times before when a discussion like this pops up but here it is again to illustrate.

rear2.jpg

My vote would be to replace the 90º lens on the M1 with a wider one or buy a new wider lens M1 as a temporary camera until something better comes along that is small but with better night performance. My rear Mobius is a "B" lens which I find to be just about perfect for my needs. Since the B lens is no longer available, the current C2 or D lens set to narrow would provide similar coverage.

I've posted this image several times before when a discussion like this pops up but here it is again to illustrate.

View attachment 33259

I would vote for a new Mobius 1 and D Lens, but first I would have to see some good footage of the D Lens, haven't seen any D lens footage anywhere unless I just happened to miss it.
I still like that shot, it is one of the most natural looking shots I've seen for color and even clarity .

I thought I saw B lenses advertised somewhere, I'll check and see if any are available, at a reasonable price.
The B lenses were all gone but, but there is this interesting video still there.
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLWFnp5QuX7lNinWL3CKUGHHG7f6wK3B9Q

Last edited:
You did miss it! :) @harsh posted a thread with comparisons of the D lens and the C2 lens.

https://dashcamtalk.com/forum/threads/videos-mobius-c2-lens-vs-d-lens-rear.28580/

Interesting video comparison, for all practical reasons, both lenses show about the same resolution with the D vs C lens, the D lens showing a little better resolution in the section with the white car pulling up from the rear and in the lighted section with stores on the right side. However, it is definitely not at it's best as a night camera.
For a day camera, I still feel it is completely adequate relative to a lot of current (new) cameras in distinguishing license plate numbers and a general view of an accident.

Since they have thrown in the towel on the M2, I sure hope they will continue to update and or modify the M1 or create a M3 to bring it up to modern good/great dash cam specifics. they are already ahead of many companies in design application versatility, they just need to go that extra mile with the interior components. Not easy I know, but the world keeps getting smaller, so peoples minds must get better and faster :rolleyes::D.

Interesting video comparison, for all practical reasons, both lenses show about the same resolution with the D vs C lens, the D lens showing a little better resolution in the section with the white car pulling up from the rear and in the lighted section with stores on the right side. However, it is definitely not at it's best as a night camera.
For a day camera, I still feel it is completely adequate relative to a lot of current (new) cameras in distinguishing license plate numbers and a general view of an accident.

Since they have thrown in the towel on the M2, I sure hope they will continue to update and or modify the M1 or create a M3 to bring it up to modern good/great dash cam specifics. they are already ahead of many companies in design application versatility, they just need to go that extra mile with the interior components. Not easy I know, but the world keeps getting smaller, so peoples minds must get better and faster :rolleyes::D.

We heard for the first time yesterday that a new firmware beta is being distributed behind the scenes for the M2, so apparently they are still using that old towel. Maybe there's still hope? Then again, the development of the M2 camera was announced about two years ago and it has been on the market for 14 months and it is still not ready for prime time so personally I am not optimistic. I think we may see some improvements but I'm skeptical that the camera will ever live up to its promises.

I wanted to say something about the GitUp camera separately.
Reference: GitUp_F1_Camera

Condition: New

Real 4K Camera with advanced Sony Exmor R Sensor

Dual-band WiFi Frequency 5.8G+2.4G

AV Out + PWM for FPV Remote Control

Electronic Image Stablization Get More Stable Videos

Great Low Light Performance Increase Light Capture

Single Press of Shutter Button to Start Recording

My first impression of it was WOW, it's a new razor, but that has nothing to do with how it works. It seems to have some of the new electronic parts in it everyone talks about and appears small (don't know the dimensions), I don't think the Sony sensor (Exmor) used particularly shows that great of an improvement over some of their other sensors but that could just be me.
One thing that stood out too me is the "Single Press Shutter to Start Recording", I sure hope that doesn't mean the camera is incapable of starting recording on engine or power on it's own until you push a button!
It sounds like I am being negative about their new camera but I'm not, just thinking about some things in highlights. I hope it is really great, but for me I don't buy anything till I know how it works. Relative to cameras, I've seen/read about a lot of new cameras coming to market that I thought sounded terrific, but ended on the dud pile for one reason or another, so I reserve my personnel opinions of anything till I see reviews by reliable people which most here on DCT are. That's why new cameras are reviewed, to keep the members and new people informed enough to make a buying decision.
Hope I didn't piss off anyone, this is just how I see things and I am definitely know to be anal about things:D:cool:.

I found a little information on the GitUp F1, Dimensions: Length 82mm/3.228", width 41.5mm/.906", Height 23mm/.906" Weight 68g/2.398 oz, used an on line conversion program to convert.

Price will be $129.99, Not $130.00 LOL. However I never believe prices till I see it for sale! I couldn't find out if their will be an option for a SuperCapacitor.

You could also move old cameras to the side of the car, my M1 do a excellent job covering my Left side.
BUT the A lens are not optimal for a side camera, but you can pretty easy change that lens to something else that have a wider FOV

My M1 is an early model, so I'll also have to change the case to accept one of the newer lens modules.

Mine too, its the B version lens i have.

I wanted to say something about the GitUp camera separately.
One thing that stood out too me is the "Single Press Shutter to Start Recording", I sure hope that doesn't mean the camera is incapable of starting recording on engine or power on it's own until you push a button!
Gitup have stated that auto recording on power input will be added in the FW shortly

I found a little information on the GitUp F1, Dimensions: Length 82mm/3.228", width 41.5mm/.906", Height 23mm/.906" Weight 68g/2.398 oz, used an on line conversion program to convert.

Price will be $129.99, Not $130.00 LOL. However I never believe prices till I see it for sale! I couldn't find out if their will be an option for a SuperCapacitor.

Liking the form factor :D Height and width are what is seen from outside, length can usually be accommodated. If there's a supercap option the F1 will be interesting indeed ;) Is there a thread on it yet?

Phil

Liking the form factor :D Height and width are what is seen from outside, length can usually be accommodated. If there's a supercap option the F1 will be interesting indeed ;) Is there a thread on it yet?

Phil
Not that I know of Phil, other then the usual "I heard this type of thing", If they don't realize that one of the major buying incentives is a S-Capacitor for dash cameras they are in a lot of trouble :D:cool:. I've forgotten, did they announce a date that hey, it's for sale now?:)

Phil
Yes, there's a thread over here

So my short-term decision is option 1 - keep the Mobius 1 as my rear-facing camera and give the M2 with its wider 130deg FOV to my wife as her primary camera.

I can live with the 90deg view out the back:
M1_04385.MOV_20170918_133409.161.jpg

I'll wait for others to report on the F1 before choosing between that and the M1 with lens D.
If funds allow I might go for the DC, but TBH my current GC is working fine and doesn't need to be replaced.

So my short-term decision is option 1 - keep the Mobius 1 as my rear-facing camera and give the M2 with its wider 130deg FOV to my wife as her primary camera.

I can live with the 90deg view out the back:
View attachment 33293

I'll wait for others to report on the F1 before choosing between that and the M1 with lens D.
If funds allow I might go for the DC, but TBH my current GC is working fine and doesn't need to be replaced.

Very wise decision.

Back