Rear dash cam and rain issue

Vinnny

Reaction score
Country
United States
I have Rexing dash cams for the front and rear of my 2022 Hyundai Tucson.
I'm having an issue with the rear dash cam and rain drops. I tried RainX, but it still beads up, just smaller. Any other suggestions to help minimize the drops ?
I came across this on Amazon, supposed to eliminate most drops but reviews are bad.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/B07Q653WNW
Thanks

When it rains, I normally turn the window wipers on, or leave the wipers on automatic. That normally deals with the rain drops!

When it rains, I normally turn the window wipers on, or leave the wipers on automatic. That normally deals with the rain drops!
Its my wife's daily driver and she refuses to use the rear wiper at all because the fear of scratches :rolleyes: . Yeah I know that sounds crazy cuz she uses the wipers on the windshield lol, but the rear windows doesn't get as wet as the windshield so there is a greater chance of scratches to the rear.

Some cars don't have a rear wiper. In my car the only thing I have to combat droplets is the rear window defroster.

Its my wife's daily driver and she refuses to use the rear wiper at all because the fear of scratches :rolleyes: . Yeah I know that sounds crazy cuz she uses the wipers on the windshield lol, but the rear windows doesn't get as wet as the windshield so there is a greater chance of scratches to the rear.
That would make some sense if you lived in a place that has lots of sand/quartz dust in the air. Occasionally happens here, in which case I might wash the windows before using the car, but in South Florida?

Some cars don't have a rear wiper. In my car the only thing I have to combat droplets is the rear window defroster.
Yes, I that was what I expected, but I also noticed the car type, so was a bit puzzled.

Another thing to try for cars without wipers is Rain-X or similar, but I suspect that may make things worse on the rear window since the big rain drops that it causes will not blow off like they would on the other windows. Does depend on the aerodynamics of the car, but I suspect the Hyundai will not have much air movement on the surface of the rear glass at any speed.

There are also a range of products like rain X ASO with hydrophobic properties, that in theory should make rain droplets run off more easy, i have been wanting to try these on my side cameras as there i of course do not have a wiper.
On the back i do have a wiper, and i use it, and have also noticed a increased wear due to that as before rear dashcams i could not really care much about the view out the rear window.

That would make some sense if you lived in a place that has lots of sand/quartz dust in the air. Occasionally happens here, in which case I might wash the windows before using the car, but in South Florida?
Here in South Florida its very humid for about 9 months out of the year. The cars are usually wet in the mornings so little things like dirt and tiny bits from trees tend to stick more compared to less humid areas. I don't think the rear washer is as effective than the front windshield washer.

I feel my rear washer are as good as the front ones, the problem is i forget it is running so the rear one i recon see more use than the front wipers.
The things for the wing mirrors, i am going to try those as my car are so cheap it do not have things like heated mirrors or even AC
I might also test those in front of my side cameras, but as i wash my car very often / almostt daily, the stickers might get peeled off, but price is where i have no problem giving it a try.

Here in South Florida its very humid for about 9 months out of the year. The cars are usually wet in the mornings so little things like dirt and tiny bits from trees tend to stick more compared to less humid areas. I don't think the rear washer is as effective than the front windshield washer.
The rear one probably would be as effective if you used it enough, but it needs to be used enough to clear off all the tree sap etc. and to put a little wear on the blade, just the odd single wipe will not keep the glass or "rubber" clean. That probably doesn't help though, unless you can convince your wife to use the rear washer once every time she sets off - the "detergent" in the washer fluid lubricates the blade and prevents scratches!

If you haven't mounted the camera on the glass, doing so will put the closer rain drops out of focus and partly solve the problem.

Back