Rear dash cam

Wisp

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I bought a 412 gw about a year ago for my husband and am looking to buy him a rear dash cam soon. I've seen the 512 rear dash cam but assume that only works with the 512 front dash cam...? (I will admit to being a little clueless here!) Any recommendations?
Thanks in advance!

Hi @Wisp

The 512GW Rear Cam is only compatible with the 512GW you can use any other model as a standalone in the back.

The 112 and 212 Lite frequently get used for this.

I have purchased a 212 for rear camera to go with my 512GW front facing camera. Originally I bought the rear camera that plugs into the 512, but found this spoilt the resolution of the front camera. I want 1440 resolution not a lower one. However as a stand alone as the rear camera, I have had to switch off the parking mode on the 212 , as it kept triggering and draining its internal batteries. Is there a way to reduce the parking mode sensitivity on the 212 model.

Thanks for the replies, that's been really helpful. From what I had read I got the impression that the front and rear cameras had to be connected but couldn't understand why. But if a standalone is fine, I will have a look at your recommendations.

From what I had read I got the impression that the front and rear cameras had to be connected but couldn't understand why
Two separate cams is OK especially if the rear has GPS to get the correct time and location. The advantage of a twin cam setup is that there is only one GPS enabled device and the recordings are all on the same SD card and can be displayed in sync on a suitable viewer.

Two separate cams is OK especially if the rear has GPS to get the correct time and location. The advantage of a twin cam setup is that there is only one GPS enabled device and the recordings are all on the same SD card and can be displayed in sync on a suitable viewer.

Ah, I see. Thank you for explaining. If there is no way of connecting the 412gw to a rear dash cam then I will look for a standalone that has GPS.

There is no way of connecting a rear cam to the 412. It was not designed for that.
Re. second cam, see Tiffany's post #2 but I don't think that either have GPS (ads don't say they have), but if you synchronise the clocks, then you should have no major problem timing wise.

There is no way of connecting a rear cam to the 412. It was not designed for that.
Re. second cam, see Tiffany's post #2 but I don't think that either have GPS (ads don't say they have), but if you synchronise the clocks, then you should have no major problem timing wise.

Okay, thank you very much for your help.

I have the 212G HD in my car but as a front dashcam & the 412GW as a rear dash cam.I use the Garmin 12v car charger, I use one 2 meter mini usb lead attached into the usb point tonpower the front 212G HD, then my genuine nextbase 12v incar charger to power the 412GW at the rear. The 212G HD is very good, had an issue last weekend where it would keep turning on & off & wouldn’t record buy a change of brand micro sd card has hopefully resolved that issue! 90453923-0804-4F73-BDCA-E51093672BBC.jpeg

Thanks for the info. I am looking for a small dash cam for the back of the car and now that I know I can use it standalone, I will consider other makes as well.

Have a look at the lower end garmin dash cam range at Halford’s these are very small! Smaller than a go pro I think... cost between £100-150 depending on model

Back