Rear dashcam to pair with A119

executioner

Reaction score
Country
Panama
Dash Cam
Viofo A118, A119 & A129 Duo
Here it goes,
My current setup is one A119 as a front dashcam in a BMW sedan (my daily). Camera is hardwired to the fuse box with a regular $10 hardwire kit and an add-a-fuse, no error messages. I have a spare A118 that does not save files properly and does not hold the date anymore. Second car in the house BMW suv with no dashcams which I would like that to be changed rather soon as it has been in at least two incidents in the past year.

Suspect the A118 died either from the cheap hardwire kit or the heat. Always use something to cover the windshield but left the camera in the mount. Now when parked take the A119 off the mount and slip it where the sun does not shine directly.

Requirements:
- Here it is very hot and humid, 30-40C during the day so it must take the heat.
- Parking mode is not a must but ideal, found a big scratch on the car the other day suspect possibly a car parking next to me at the mall.
- Discreet, something that does not draw attention and gets people wanting to get in the car to grab it which is very common. Overall also looks better so that you don't get distracted with big bulky things around your windows.

Car 1 Sedan
Front dashcam - A119 looks great working perfectly but not sure how to use parking mode.
Rear dashcam - Prefer something small e.g. Viofo, Mini but with good night video, very dark in a lot of parts of the city.

Should I upgrade my hardwiring kit? Looking at the options they come with cigarette lighter power which is more convenient and there is plenty of space in the fuse area. The A119 comes with a dual usb power adapter, could it power two cameras and not require the Y adapter? if not which Y cigarette lighter power splitter if proven to be reliable? Been looking at the Motopark Multi-Safer and the Vico Power-Plus. Should I even upgrade?

Car 2 Suv
Front - Something similar in video quality as the A119. This one could probably benefit more of having a parking mode than car 1.
Rear - Could probably repurpose the A118, it does work somewhat and there is a cigarette lighter in the trunk area so could save some money there for a few months.

So many questions hope you guys can help me in deciding.

Here it goes,

Requirements:
- Here it is very hot and humid, 30-40C during the day so it must take the heat.
- Parking mode is not a must but ideal, found a big scratch on the car the other day suspect possibly a car parking next to me at the mall.
- Discreet, something that does not draw attention and gets people wanting to get in the car to grab it which is very common. Overall also looks better so that you don't get distracted with big bulky things around your windows.

Car 1 Sedan
Front dashcam - A119 looks great working perfectly but not sure how to use parking mode.
Rear dashcam - Prefer something small e.g. Viofo, Mini but with good night video, very dark in a lot of parts of the city.

Should I upgrade my hardwiring kit? Looking at the options they come with cigarette lighter power which is more convenient and there is plenty of space in the fuse area. The A119 comes with a dual usb power adapter, could it power two cameras and not require the Y adapter? if not which Y cigarette lighter power splitter if proven to be reliable? Been looking at the Motopark Multi-Safer and the Vico Power-Plus. Should I even upgrade?

Car 2 Suv
Front - Something similar in video quality as the A119. This one could probably benefit more of having a parking mode than car 1.
Rear - Could probably repurpose the A118, it does work somewhat and there is a cigarette lighter in the trunk area so could save some money there for a few months.

So many questions hope you guys can help me in deciding.

Keeping in mind the temperatures get something with a capacitor like the A119.

A119 has motion-detect, will start recording only once motion is detected within the field of view. You'll need to rewire it to a permanent source using a hardwire kit that supports battery discharge prevention or use the existing kit with something like the Vico PowerPlus. Two dash cams can be powered using a female socket Y splitter.

If you're fine with how discreet the A119 is, you could stay with the same form-factor, there are a couple of other worthy choices.

Car 1 - If good night quality is a priority. You choices are - A119S, Street Guardian SG9665GC V3.

Car 2 - Another A119 or again between the A119S and SG9665GC V3. Don't repurpose if the camera isn't reliable anymore, never know when one may need the footage. If you're going to skim, no point doing it in the first place.

If you're looking for something more discreet, check out the Mobius, night quality will not be as good as the A119S or the SG9665GC, no slouch though.

A119 has motion-detect, will start recording only once motion is detected within the field of view. You'll need to rewire it to a permanent source using a hardwire kit that supports battery discharge prevention or use the existing kit with something like the Vico PowerPlus. Two dash cams can be powered using a female socket Y splitter.

If you're fine with how discreet the A119 is, you could stay with the same form-factor, there are a couple of other worthy choices.

Car 1 - If good night quality is a priority. You choices are - A119S, Street Guardian SG9665GC V3.

Car 2 - Another A119 or again between the A119S and SG9665GC V3. Don't repurpose if the camera isn't reliable anymore, never know when one may need the footage. If you're going to skim, no point doing it in the first place.

If you're looking for something more discreet, check out the Mobius, night quality will not be as good as the A119S or the SG9665GC, no slouch though.

Thanks for replying. Think I'm already decided on the Vico Power Plus, was looking at reviews and pretty much sold on the safety and ease of use. There is tons of space in the fuse area, this afternoon went to check my current set up and looking at some info on the bmw forums found the permanent power source fuse. Now already now were the second add a fuse will be placed.

Since the A119 comes with a dual usb connector will not need the female socket Y splitter.

Because of short budget leaning to the A119/S models.

Have a Mobius 2 cam but for sports so it has a set purpose. It is in fact very small and discrete and now that you mention it may be a great option. Will check current prices.

Did a "parking mode" test which is setting the camera to motion detection on in the settings. Good results so far with just a powerbank connected directly to the camera, as it is hardwired I just plugged the usb to the camera itself and left the gps usb untouched. By morning had some interesting recordings so think it might actually work with the voltage prevention device. More to follow.

Back