Rear Mount Facing Forward ?

BluechipJr

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hello Forum,
Has anyone considered mounting on rear window facing forward?
This would theoretically capture side views.

Thanks in advance.

Hello Forum,
Has anyone considered mounting on rear window facing forward?
This would theoretically capture side views.

Thanks in advance.

Welcome to DCT. I tried it for a while, before transferring Mobius to side-facing duties ...

c37f5b389557414603508f9038547afe.jpg

I think it would be better to place a camera in each lower corner of the windscreen, angled 45 degrees or so that should provide good coverage of cabin, and the sides ( what can be seen thru the windows )

But using 2 cameras i much prefer the full on side cameras right up against the glass in a side window, mine is there in the rear doors of my little 5 door hatchback.

O yeah i forgot :rolleyes: Welcome to the "in text" dashcam party :cool:

You wiill find i am the resident clown with moments of brightness :D

Too little too late! That explains my updated Avatar.
I had wanted to install a cam for many months and never did.
I was could not decide what to get.
Friday the 13th proved to be a really bad day.
I was nailed by a 16 wheeler (at low speed), in the side.
Everyone walked away thank goodness.
The car is another story.

Thanks for your input!

Argh :( Thats bad timing buddy.

Hope you will get a camera in your new car, and hope there will never be any but mundane use for it.

Dashcams in one of those products thats good to have but really you should never need it if all things go well.

Too little too late! That explains my updated Avatar.
I had wanted to install a cam for many months and never did.
I was could not decide what to get.
Friday the 13th proved to be a really bad day.
I was nailed by a 16 wheeler (at low speed), in the side.
Everyone walked away thank goodness.
The car is another story.

Thanks for your input!

Woulda', Coulda', Shoulda'........I guess we've all been there at one time or another. Lesson learned I hope.

We have a few long time members here who have yet to learn that lesson and are candidates for the same fate. The current record holder has been here on DCT for a year and a half without yet buying a dash cam but who has posted commentary hundreds of times.

Even a crappy dash cam is better than nothing. My first camera, purchased more than six years ago would have been a non-starter by today's standards but I'm sure glad I had it. Just buy something until you find the ideal camera for your situation. This is universal advice, not necessarily directed at you personally, per se, but to others who will come along and read this thread as well.

Once you finally purchase a front facing camera, check out this thread for examples and discussion of side facing and rear facing cams. I wouldn't be without them now.

Really glad you are OK! Could have been so much worse.

Last edited:
Too little too late...
Sorry to learn of your misfortune. When I first decided to buy a dashcam, I temporarily used a Sony Handycam while deciding which dashcam to buy.

88ae323a4b72c9c4dbaedf2cf761d521.jpg

Today I would use an old Android phone with a dashcam app instead. We've all got one gathering dust in a drawer ... or is it just me? :)

Last edited:
I got 0 phones collecting dust, but i do have other stuff collecting dust as i dont use those things often.

I wish i could make my windows phone into a dust collector, but those things are expensive to make, would cost me 2000 DKkr i dont have.

Sorry to learn of your misfortune. When I first decided to buy a dashcam, I temporarily used a Sony Handycam while deciding which dashcam to buy.

88ae323a4b72c9c4dbaedf2cf761d521.jpg

Today I would use an old Android phone with a dashcam app instead. We've all got one gathering dust in a drawer ... or is it just me? :)
Clever :)

I don't see the practicality of rear window facing forward, now front window facing rearward sounds good

Back