Rear mount on a cabriolet

Rporteo

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
ive looked through the mobius mounting thread and can't find anyone who mounted a rear camera in a cabriolet. I've got a Mercedes E Class cab and have looked around to see where it could be mounted, but can't see anywhere practical. Anyone mounted a rear on any cabriolet and got photos?

You may have to get creative if there is no commercially-made mount which suits your needs. Which is easy here as Mobius uses a 1/4-20 thread for mounting (standard camera tripod thread) or you can use any bolt or screw in that size for mounting attached to whatever kind of bracket you can conjure up. Few other cams are this versatile which is one of this camera's strongest points :)

Phil

I've already got one in the front and have 2 in the wife's Tiguan that I've messed about with mount wise, I'm really stuck when it comes to the rear on mine want it as I want it as inconspicuous as possible which is the stumbling block. Plus the fact that the whole of the rear of the rear of the car comes apart when lowering the roof is also a proper head scratcher!

The tougher the job, the more depth of thinking that is required to handle it properly ;)

You may have to run wiring alongside pivot points instead of directly towards the cam as is usually done. You may have to wire in a nearer 12V power source or hardwire kit to the cam. You may not find a suitable mount for sale and end up having to make one. As long as the cam's power needs are met and it's sturdily mounted with an adequate view, that is all which is necessary and the rest is aesthetics. Study how everything moves and interacts, and how the top stores, and that should show you your best approach. It's definitely going to be a tougher-than-usual job but it's not insurmountable :)

Wish I could offer you more, and good luck on finding the right solution!
Phil

How about adding a magnetic mount to the möbius slider cradle sleeve case that comes with the möbius. Either the official Möbius action cam one or home made magnet mount like I've done here. To film you could attach it to the inside of the top of the boot but have the camera recording upside down but reverse it 180 in the msetup program?

Attachments

• IMG_0150.JPG
    IMG_0150.JPG
    482.8 KB · Views: 13
If it were me, I would either use a helmet mount or some custom wedge block with adhesive to mount the camera to the "spoilers" which are behind the rear seat headrests. From the pictures I have found (see below) this are looks like it's above the rear window frame with view through the rear glass.
TC-E250-Cab24.jpg
mercedes-benz-e-class-diesel-cabriolet-e250-cdi-amg-line-2dr-7g-tronic-151178421-2.jpg

The next step would be to route the power cable under that hatch cover and along the pivots so it moves with the hatch and camera, but doesn't interfere with the top.

Alternately you could mount it to or near the rear headrests themselves so that you could skip the movement and long moving cable. The helmet mount with adhesive to mount it might work for this too.

ive looked through the mobius mounting thread and can't find anyone who mounted a rear camera in a cabriolet. I've got a Mercedes E Class cab and have looked around to see where it could be mounted, but can't see anywhere practical. Anyone mounted a rear on any cabriolet and got photos?
Hey i have 2014 Mercedes E250 cabriolet and i have professionally installed web cam kit of front and rear to the car with ease . The rear cam is cleverly attached and secured on the wind shield in the middle of the back seats and with a solid anchored position from the wind and car movement, excellent views with the soft top down or up and with no interference with its operational fanctions what so ever and most deffently it is not in the way of the back passengers at all. in my opinion one of the best place to put it and have it operational with the roof up or down with arear web cam on a cabriolet. Thanks i hope it helps others.

Back