rear screen polarized?

j-p52

Reaction score
Country
United States
Dash Cam
622GW
Hi.
With polarized sunglasses on, the back screen is blacked out. Can anyone comment on this?
thanks

take your sunglasses off (or tilt your head) when looking at the screen, all LCD's will go black when viewed in one particular direction with polarised glasses

Thanks. I didn't have this problem with my old dash cam. Sounds like a design problem.

Sounds like a design problem.
It is normal for LCD screens in cars to be polarised in a direction that works with polarised sunglasses, so yes a bad design.

It is normal for LCD screens in cars to be polarised in a direction that works with polarised sunglasses, so yes a bad design.
Agreed. In doing a little online research, it appears the polarization in sunglasses is vertical, to deal with horizontal reflective surfaces, like the hood of your car or a body of water. I'm surprised this escaped the designers of a top end dashcam.

Agreed. In doing a little online research, it appears the polarization in sunglasses is vertical, to deal with horizontal reflective surfaces, like the hood of your car or a body of water. I'm surprised this escaped the designers of a top end dashcam.
Nextbase don't listen, even if told, they are still using lithium batteries instead of super capacitors!

Convincing people that a CPL, like sunglasses, should always be vertically polarised, and does not need to be rotatable to adjust for sun angle is even harder!

I'm surprised this escaped the designers of a top end dashcam.

I'm a big Nextbase fan, but I honestly don't think the 622 is worth the £250 price or even £200 personally.

Sent from my SM-T580 using Tapatalk

take your sunglasses off (or tilt your head) when looking at the screen, all LCD's will go black when viewed in one particular direction with polarised glasses
That sounds reasonable, and that's what I would have thought, but it's simply not true. I went back and checked out my Garmin DriveAssist 51. Their LCD screen is polarized correctly, vertically, like sunglasses. And when I tilt my polarized sunglasses 90 degrees, the screen darkens but is still easy to see, it never blacks out. The screen is nice and clear, and the touchscreen feature is much more responsive than the 622gw. When Garmin makes a 4k dashcam, I'll probably get one, then sell my 622gw, unless Nextbase smartens up.

That sounds reasonable, and that's what I would have thought, but it's simply not true. I went back and checked out my Garmin DriveAssist 51. Their LCD screen is polarized correctly, vertically, like sunglasses. And when I tilt my polarized sunglasses 90 degrees, the screen darkens but is still easy to see, it never blacks out. The screen is nice and clear, and the touchscreen feature is much more responsive than the 622gw. When Garmin makes a 4k dashcam, I'll probably get one, then sell my 622gw, unless Nextbase smartens up.

aside from using a screen with a sensible orientation for the purpose it's likely the Garmin has a much better quality screen, may be IPS rather than regular LCD

aside from using a screen with a sensible orientation for the purpose it's likely the Garmin has a much better quality screen, may be IPS rather than regular LCD
They call it a "WQVGA color TFT with white backlight, glass capacitive touch". It's both a dashcam and a GPS, but the camera is not so good, that's why I got the 622GW. As a hobbyist nature photographer, I want more than incident documentation, I want a good camera to video nice scenes I might drive through.

Back