Rear side window dashcam wiring - 12v to 5v converter

Number400

Reaction score
Country
United States
Dash Cam
Panorama S/CF-100/BulletHD Biker Mate
I am currently running front and rear cameras powered by a PMPP and a right side mini801 plugged in via usb to a 12v to 5v cig style converter in my center console. It works but is not optimal for me.

I bought a 12v to 5v converter with two USB ports -( https://www.amazon.com/gp/B00XDSA82Q ) and was planning to install in my trunk and run the two wires out of the back deck lid and to each side so that I could run side cameras cleanly. Problem is that the only wire in the trunk (2015 Nissan Altima) that can run them is one 12v from my Bose amp and that is always hot and every other wire back there is 5-6v just for switching things on and off on the CAN bus I guess. Who knows, I am old school.

I was thinking about adding a battery discharge device and then just switching the side cameras on and off manually but don't want to worry about that. I was really hoping to run them from a source in the trunk but now it looks like I will have to add wire and go under carpet into the center console and they will come on ACC.

Does any one have suggestions on where else to tap in the trunk of a modern car? I would be happy with ACC only for now. Not looking to go all the way back to the front of the car but I am just being lazy.

Thanks,
Ed

Last edited:
I went ahead and ran wire to the fuse panel. There was another empty ACC fuse slot I put an add a fuse in there and the converter is working great in the back of the car. While I was at it, I replaced the battery in my Mini0801 back there and all is well. Nice to have USB ports in the back to power side/rear cams.

I am currently running front and rear cameras powered by a PMPP and a right side mini801 plugged in via usb to a 12v to 5v cig style converter in my center console. It works but is not optimal for me.

I bought a 12v to 5v converter with two USB ports -( https://www.amazon.com/gp/B00XDSA82Q ) and was planning to install in my trunk and run the two wires out of the back deck lid and to each side so that I could run side cameras cleanly. Problem is that the only wire in the trunk (2015 Nissan Altima) that can run them is one 12v from my Bose amp and that is always hot and every other wire back there is 5-6v just for switching things on and off on the CAN bus I guess. Who knows, I am old school.

I was thinking about adding a battery discharge device and then just switching the side cameras on and off manually but don't want to worry about that. I was really hoping to run them from a source in the trunk but now it looks like I will have to add wire and go under carpet into the center console and they will come on ACC.

Does any one have suggestions on where else to tap in the trunk of a modern car? I would be happy with ACC only for now. Not looking to go all the way back to the front of the car but I am just being lazy.

Thanks,
Ed
A bit late to the party.. but you could do it with a relay that turns on the 12 volt when there is power from one of your 5~6 volt sources.

Back