Rear View Mirror + F/R cams: Trying to play the .ts files and they dont display anything on my computer

rikity

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hello, this is my first post here and I was hoping someone here could point me in the right direction on this. I bought this: 4k Dash Cam from Amazon (Was $170, and they've reduced the price twice since and its now $129), I installed it on my Jeep because the rear view mirror is unusable due to a large spare tire thats mounted inside the vehicle. Like many other Chinese items sold on Amazon, they have similar hardware and software under several different names. The one I have seems to not have any real product name on it. But others sold on Amazon with a similar interface are Pormido, Kingslim and Akaso.

I've installed the hardware and its up and running, I like how it works but to night I pulled the SD card out and downloaded the files to my PC and I cant seem to get anything to read them. The files are .ts with .jpg preview thumbnails. I can view the thumbnails without a problem, a viewer link on the SD card is included that installs a thing called "GXPlayer" which seems to work like other gps enabled dashcam players. I installed it and try to play any of the .ts files, the progress bar seems to be moving and it shows a timestamp but all the video is black on every file.

Anyone have any ideas of how to play these files? The documentation for this thing is horrible and their support that I've used so far to get a partial refund of their price discounts has been less than great

if the file is playing but the screen is black generally means you don't have the required codecs installed, try installing the K-Lite codec park, it might sort this issue out for you

Potplayer will handle the .ts file format and it's freeware. Potplayer has become my go-to for simple viewing due to ease-of-use and that it runs well on my cheap old laptop.

Dashcam Viewer does well too, but the free version limits you to 2 files at a time. It is the most full-featured dashcam player there is with a huge feature set, constant updates, and well worth the one-time cost.

Almost all of the proprietary dashcam viewers are poorly done or worse, even on high-end cams. I've stopped even trying them, not worth the time or effort it takes to click 'install' :(

Phil

Thanks all!

@jokiin I was formerly a DJ and played a lot of videos so I always install that k-lite codec pack. Just to make sure though, I reinstalled it because the one that I used when I build this PC almost a year ago was pretty old.

@estore009 Installed that codec too just in case, ty

@SawMaster I tried on both of my pcs, the player that came with it, windows media player, VLC and a couple other ones. Pot player is the only one i've tried so far that worked. Thanks for the suggestion! Next step I need to figure out how to convert or export so I can read them in Adobe Premier in case I want to create/share a video in the future.

Do give Dashcam Viewer a try. It's chock-full of features you might like and the free version has them all. The developer (our member"Traveller") works hard to keep it ahead of the pack and is very competent at that, so that almost every cam/file format/encoding will be supported. If it isn't he will make it so on notification if he can.

Phil

Back