Rear view mirror mounted dash cam with full screen view

Banbuk77

Reaction score
Country
United States
I recently switched from a sedan to SUV and I am still struggling with a limited view from the rear view mirror. Not to mention situations when something in the cargo area is obstructing the view.
And I want to install a dash cam that is discreet. And looks like rear view mirror mounted dash cams would be the perfect answer since they are the most discreet and I really like the ability to have a better visibility in the rear view mirror.
What I need:
1. Full screen display (like Auto Vox X2). Looks like majority of dash cams have some kind of small picture in picture 4=5" types displays. I would like 10" or so.
2. Auto dimming is a must. I mean the display should change brightness automatically same way as auto dimming does for a regular mirror.
I just don't want to replace my rear view mirror with something that would make the visibility worse.
3. Ability to place the back camera inside the car and still have a decent rear view video at night. I read that many back up cameras don't provide good video quality at night because of the tint on the glass.
This is not a deal breaker if I will need to place it outside, but I would prefer to place it higher.
4. Good quality overall so that I can install it and forget about it.
5. Wifi or bluetooth connection to a smartphone would be real nice.

I don't need the best video quality , 1080 would be enough. More important is the quality of the feed from the back camera that I would be using when driving.
Parking mode is nice, but I can do without.

So far looks like my only choices are Auto Vox X1 , X1PRO or X2 models and there is KDLINKS R100.

Are there any other system that have everything I want?
Any downside to this types of dash cameras in general?
Am I missing something?

TIA.

Last edited:
you cant install and forget any dashcam, you really do need to look over the memory card now and then to make sure it have recorded your latest drives as you can remember them, and make sure none of the drive sessions start / end in a weird place like 200 feet down the road or some other place like that.

Otherwise you might soon find yourself among the many that have posted in here " i put in so and so dashcam in my car 2 years ago and now i just had a crash and found out my camera have not been recording for months"

It take me 5-10 minutes to look over and verify a full 128 Gb memory card, and i do that every 1 - 2 months at the latest ( i do put recordings on youtube so in general i have a look at my memory card more often )

The mirror style cameras dont see much action in here, but as i understand it some of them aint half bad, just dont know which ones.

RVM cams often have issues with vibration or movement, and with all of them being battery-powered types having them exposed to direct sun because of the mounting location often causes overheating and/or battery swelling. Plus some have non-aimable lens so you get an off-center aim. IMHO the concept is excellent but nobody has done it well yet.

Phil

you cant install and forget any dashcam, you really do need to look over the memory card now and then to make sure it have recorded your latest drives as you can remember them, and make sure none of the drive sessions start / end in a weird place like 200 feet down the road or some other place like that.

Otherwise you might soon find yourself among the many that have posted in here " i put in so and so dashcam in my car 2 years ago and now i just had a crash and found out my camera have not been recording for months"

It take me 5-10 minutes to look over and verify a full 128 Gb memory card, and i do that every 1 - 2 months at the latest ( i do put recordings on youtube so in general i have a look at my memory card more often )

The mirror style cameras dont see much action in here, but as i understand it some of them aint half bad, just dont know which ones.

When I said 'forget', I meant no need to manually switch it on/off or to parking mode, etc each time you go for a drive. Of course, you need to make sure it works properly from time to time.
I am doing my research right now and X1PRO looks like have everything I need. Will read about KDLINKS next. I see there are PAPAGO units that cost $1000. Interesting what features they have to justify the price.

Look at the vid format, ".avi" usually indicates lesser chipsets and lower performance. Also look at the recommended heat range if you are in warmer climates. Do keep in mind that features on cheaper cams may not work well enough to be usable.

Korean cams like Papago are usually overpriced but high quality. Some features are done best with these, though one thing to watch for is low bitrates and low FPS settings which are acceptable there due to their low road speeds, but may not be up to the task of doing well at speeds we see here. Customer support (including warranty claims) is often horrible and slow. Before making a choice, look for owner vids on YouTube. YT compresses video so actual vids may be better, but things like color balance, motion blur, response to lighting change and ability to handle brightness and darkness will be reflected accurately even after YT butchers them. Place no faith in vids posted by manufacturers or sellers, they know what to show that makes their cams look good while avoiding anything that makes them look bad.

Phil

Okay. those things are automated in dashcams, but if you want to use parking mode you will need to hardwire it to your fuse box, but otherwise you should not need to do anything to the dashcam once set up.

It seem like the wifi in dashcams, that no one have managed to get right yet, but in general it work fine for setup, but if you are going for such a camera like you say then its faster to setup on the camera itself.
Transfer of files, well you can grab a single file on the phone with a wifi cameras, but bulk transfers will be painful slow even on the newer cameras with 5 GHZ wifi ( it shouldn't be but thats how it seem to be on all of them )
So you are better off using a computer ( MAC if you are that kind of person, just be advised MAC and dashcams can be a little bit tricky ) and a good card reader ( USB 3.0 ) that will let you use the full speed potential of the memory card you get.

Tint on any glass a camera film thru can be a little problematic depending on the level of tint, but cameras should let you adjust the EV value for each camera separate so you can go a little up on the EV value? on the camera filming thru tint to compensate for that.
Not so big a problem anymore for cameras build with good sensors, was a bit more of a problem in the "old" days.
Also even in the rear getting the camera up as high as possible are optimal, but this fact do clash with the demands a parking camera have which are often low and aimed down a lot.
Most cameras are meant for inside installment, some brands do have optional cameras for outside install, just be advised outside install mean lens will get dirty much faster that a camera on the inside, and no washer/wiper on these little cameras.
Its the same for reversing cameras, but those you generally just want the grand perspective, so a little dirt are no issue, but it will be so for a dashcam that often need to capture little and illusive details like plates.

SawMaster above also have a few good pointers.

Actually, most cameras are for outside installment. Some claim water and dust resistant coating to improve picture quality during bad weather. Looks like my only options are Auto Vox X1 and Autovox X1 Pro. The former is placed on the existing mirror and the latter is replaces it.
Got a quote from the auto sound shop and they can install it (hard wire) for $90 if placing the rear camera inside the cabin and $120 if outside.
I am leaning towards X1 PRO.
Are there any cons when replacing the existing mirror with this kind of devices vs a clip on solution?

Back