Rear view video feed to DVR

stimpy77

Reaction score
Country
United States
I have a dashcam up in front and I was wanting to add another camera pointing out the rear window, but I realized I already have a backup/reverse camera that displays on my infotainment display when I put the car in reverse. I believe this rearview camera (OEM from 2016 Subaru WRX) is probably a standard yellow composite RCA feed, although I don't know if the camera is off until in reverse or it is simply ignored until it is in reverse.

Anyway, I was wondering if anyone knows of a simple solution of getting the feed to record on to SD with the usual DVR behavior of 10 (or however long) minute segments and deleting old clips as the SD card fills up.

I believe I can use a Raspberry Pi or some other USB-powered Linux PC and a USB video converter (EasyCap) and DIY this but does anyone know of another solution, i.e. a camera-less composite-feed-in DVR that functions otherwise like a dashcam?

Last edited:
would be simpler, neater and quite possibly cheaper just to get a proper dashcam designed for the task, Mobius is good for discreet rear cam use

that aside though the reverse cam is only powered when in reverse, you'd need to power the camera to get a feed from it, you'd need to add a diode to stop the power from the camera feeding back and turning your reverse lights on, you'd likely also want it to still work as a reverse camera so that involves some video switching as well, if your model is CANBUS (not sure on the current models) it gets more difficult, not impossible, not very practical though, once you get around all that you still need some sort of DVR, the Pi can do this but it's a bit basic in its functionality, even once you do all that it's a composite signal (480 lines SD) which might look good on screen but won't like great on a bigger monitor when you want to review footage, it's a camera that's never been designed to run for hours at a time, the viewing perspective isn't ideal and it's mirror reverse

over and above all this though you have a nice car, why not just do it properly with something designed for the job at hand :)

There is boxes like this, but like jokiin says it is possible but not very handy solution.

Back