Rear window camera footage

Also just seen the 622 now takes a 256GB SD Card? Seen they now do an "Elite Bundle" with the 256GB card included or you can buy the 256GB SD Card for a whopping £100 which is only compatible with the 622. So they must have tweaked the camera to take 256GB in the latest software update.

the 622gw takes even 512gb sd cards and did before the firmware update. it's just nextbase did not test it nor put it in the official specs until now. btw i am doing a test run using two of those sandisk sd cards made for video surveillance systems sandisk max endurance. even though while using them under firmware release 6.4 both cards i own dropped me some error log files when in constant use for more than a week without reformatting them. let's see how they deal with the new firmware 10.3...

Well I've upgraded my Nextbase 128GB SD Card to a 256GB, I know some say SanDisk don't work very well in Dashcams but I've always used them and never had an issue, I've had crashes with Nextbase cards tho! Got it for £38 on Prime. Couldn't justify £100 for the Nextbase one even with the 20% off code it is still too expensive..
IMG_20210828_120452.jpg

hi rickn55, thanks for sharing your experiences. your sandisk might work, might not or will burn prematurely because it is not designed for constant high write rates. i have one of those in a dji quad copter with a 4k cam and constant write rates of 100mbit/s and the card is doing well and fine but the nextbase really does not like it or vice versa. after a few days the cam starts dropping error log files in the root directory of the card.

This thread is getting off topic… we are supposed to be complaining about the rear cam footage and how it is taking forever to get a firmware update. I first reported this issue last August 2020. It has taken an entire year to get an updated firmware. In my opinion, this is unacceptable! That is way too long to leave your customers hanging. My cam is only a year old and the battery is shot. It won’t hold a charge, and support takes a really long time to respond to emails. The camera is now junk, and the entire time I owned it, it never performed as advertised.

This thread is getting off topic… we are supposed to be complaining about the rear cam footage and how it is taking forever to get a firmware update.
It's hardly off topic is it? The topic was about the firmware update, a new option to use a 256GB SD card option has been included in the said firmware update so...

hi rickn55, thanks for sharing your experiences. your sandisk might work, might not or will burn prematurely because it is not designed for constant high write rates. i have one of those in a dji quad copter with a 4k cam and constant write rates of 100mbit/s and the card is doing well and fine but the nextbase really does not like it or vice versa. after a few days the cam starts dropping error log files in the root directory of the card.
Yes. I used to have an old Nextbase 312 I used to use in my window at home for continuous recording as there were a spate of yobs going around damaging property on the street, I kept it on continuous record for about 2 years using only a Sandisk Ultra and it never went wrong once and to this day the SD Card still works fine. I don't buy Nextbase's sales spin about only their Nextbase branded cards being the only ones to work correctly, I've had Dashcams crash while using there "specially" made SD Cards in past. Never had issues with Sandisk nor Samsung cards for that matter.

I can confirm the new software update has been a success, the screen grab below is from my 622 recording up front at 4K! Excellent quality now both front and rear. Thank you Nextbase for finally sorting it, but seriously I have been exchanging emails constantly over the last 6 months with Nextbase since I purchased the 622 chasing this update to be sorted which I think is poor how long it has taken to be sorted. But at least it is all good now!

Attachments

• Screenshot (76).png
    Screenshot (76).png
    1.1 MB · Views: 18
It’s been almost 3 weeks now, and my app still does not show an update for the 622. What’s going on???

It’s been almost 3 weeks now, and my app still does not show an update for the 622. What’s going on???
Mine didn't show either on the mobile App (Android) when it was first released, I was too impatient to wait so I updated my 622 via the Nextbase Replay app on the Laptop, no issues at all.

SanDisk don't work very well in Dashcams

That was in the old days, and mostly pertaining to one of their models, the new A1 branded ones and many others are just fine memory cards.
There are similar "issues" with other brands, Trencend also made a few models you want to bypass like for instance the old silver colored high endurance model.

That was in the old days, and mostly pertaining to one of their models, the new A1 branded ones and many others are just fine memory cards.
There are similar "issues" with other brands, Trencend also made a few models you want to bypass like for instance the old silver colored high endurance model.
As I said above, I've never had any issues with Sandisk SD Cards in any of my Dashcams, the new
Sandisk 256GB jobby in the 622 has worked spot on too.

Yep even with the "bad" ultra or what ever they was named cards there was still hit and miss, the dashcam makers or at least the SOC makers probably are also to blame to some degree.
It is only now that i have sandisk memory cards in the new high endurance cards, and they are slowly becoming a favorite of mine, even if i think one of them are on the way out, but i should have warranty on it, just got to get things rolling.

Hi,

You can manually update the firmware for your 622GW using the MyNextbase Player app, or using your computer. Here's how:

1. Insert the USB cable from the top of the camera (NOT the mount) into your computer.
2. Select 'UPDATE' or 'FIRMWARE UPDATE' on the camera's screen
3. On your computer you should see a drive pop up. Open this.
4. You should see DCIM and some links. Stay in this location.
5. Download this firmware file:
6. Unzip the folder and move the .BIN file/s onto the SD card location that you have open. You don't need to open the .BIN file, but just move it onto the SD card. You won't be able to open it on your computer as it's a firmware file.
7. Safely remove the camera from the computer.
8. Power the camera through the mount, or through a mains adaptor. Turn the camera on.
9. The camera should automatically update the firmware.
10. Once complete, your camera will restart twice. Then return to a normal recording screen. Your update has finished.

Kind regards,
Millie
Nextbase Technical Support

I asked your tech support for the firmware and they told me that 10.3 was pulled shortly after release because of bugs.

very interesting. my personal experience with firmware 10.3 is as follows. the footage of the rear cam has improved but after using it for a few days my rear cam no longer gets recognized by the main cam. i still have to figure out if there is any relation between firmware upgrade and loss of rear cam. there is also a few users in a german dashcam forum asking for a downgrade to the 6.4 release as they have unspecified problems with 10.3. on the other hand r10.3 is still available on nextbases website.

very interesting. my personal experience with firmware 10.3 is as follows. the footage of the rear cam has improved but after using it for a few days my rear cam no longer gets recognized by the main cam. i still have to figure out if there is any relation between firmware upgrade and loss of rear cam. there is also a few users in a german dashcam forum asking for a downgrade to the 6.4 release as they have unspecified problems with 10.3. on the other hand r10.3 is still available on nextbases website.
Hello,

It sounds like your rear camera connector is loose. I would recommend the following:

1. Please remove the SD card, then press the reset button on the underside of the Dash Cam. Then, without the SD card inserted, please plug in the rear camera. Then turn on the front camera. Does it now start normally? Can you now see the rear camera image?

2. Clean all of your rear camera connectors with an alcohol wipe to ensure that they're clean and free of debris.

3. Ensure the Rear Window Camera cable is fully inserted where the cables join- it should click when it's fully connected together. There's a connector about 30 cm from the rear camera, this connector can be a little deceiving and needs to be really tight.

Kind regards,
Millie
Nextbase Technical Support

thanky you very much for the hints. indeed the rear connector which is around 15cm away from the rear cam was loose somehow. the pin was still plugged in the hole but the last klick was missing. no idea how this could happen as all the cableing is hidden behind the interior panelling of the hatchback. in case it happens again i plan to secure it using tape or something else. main thing, everything works well again :)

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
D 622GW 4
A 622GW 1
pikubik 622GW 1
J 622GW 12
S 622GW 1
Back