Rear window standalone dash cams ideas

Mtz

Reaction score
Country
Romania
Dash Cam
Viofo A229 Pro TeleQuad
Some people have more than one dashcam. And many of us are thinking to put the old dashcam on the rear window.

I have few very small cameras: 808 #16, 808 #18 and 808 #26. The 808 #16 does not have autostart when power detected so I don't want to use it. In my following pictures is the 808 #18 V2 and I can use also the 808#26 because of same micro USB connector used and both have autostart when charger detected.

The camera is connected to record only when I am starting the engine and used some power wire from the back of the car. I am not recording date/time because inside it I havc an old dead battery so it is always some 2011 year and also the date is on my windshield front camera.

Rear dashcam 1.jpg Rear dashcam 2.jpg DCAM0045.MOV_snapshot_02.21_[2013.11.17_17.00.18].jpg

Bonus: for 808 #18 V2 I used the AV cable because I want also the video out function trying to use it as parking camera too. I have a car stereo which have a display which is automatically showing on display the parking camera when the car is switched in reverse mode.

enjoy,
Mtz

I have installed few month ago Mobius as a rear camera. Also had few DIY ideas.
Total 4 different ideas on how to use Mobius as rear camera.
Here is thread: CLICK

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes, is OK to just post some link (and at least one picture from that topic is better) to some specific forum area. This topic is for general use, maybe somebody is looking for any dashcam and after visiting this thread he knows what to do with his dashcam.

enjoy,
Mtz

aUHyXhD.jpg

using deal extreme CCTV metal mounts

I have a 2007 mazda 6 sedan, trying to work out where to put a blackvue camera in my rear window that is stealth but because of the angle of it its hard and cant work out a suitable location, anyone done this?

Here's my Mobius keeping an eye on where I've been.
20140226_150537 copy.jpg
I'm sure some will notice the excess 3M strip. This looks like a slightly careless install, but the excess is actually because it was cut to fit the Mobius adhesive mount base, to which I stuck to some matching 3M tape to allow me to easily re-use the sticky mount. :cool:
20140226_160338 copy.jpg
Or indeed remove it, as I have here. :)

Last edited:
Here is my rear windshield Mobius.
Hey, that looks like an interesting mount to avoid sticking something to the rear glass... Do you mind telling us a little bit more about the mount you used/modded there? I'm curious as to how it is being held in place above the headliner and if it is a difficult install or not.

I have been thinking on something simmilar for my hatchback with a vertical window/ hatch.

My idea was to use some thin metal and then bend / shape it so it would go up over the headliner and run along the inside of the roof, on the roof end i would then place super magnets on the metal strip to hold everything in place, and then form the other end of the metal strip so it rest on the headliner somewhat like in the Picture from Mozartman.

But my Little Suzuki have a large "gap" between the headliner and the hatch window, and i would prefer to not have any heater elements in my footage.
So i might end up fabbing somthing up that let me mount the camera off the frame around the rear window. ( maybe use a pop rivet or 2 )

Will start out with a quick solution as its too damm cold and i dont have access to a garage.

Last edited:
I bought this thin piece of aluminum (I would call it bracket), cut it and bent it. It is held to the rear windshield with 3M double-sided tape.
bracket-jpg.4010

Then I have one part of Velcro attached to the bracket and another part to the Mobius.

This Mobius will go to the rear windshield of my minivan. In this case Mobius attached to the bracket with the piece from the suction cup mount that came with the Mobius.

mobiusmount-jpg.4011

Attachments

• bracket.jpg
    bracket.jpg
    48.6 KB · Views: 212
  • MobiusMount.jpg
    MobiusMount.jpg
    129.7 KB · Views: 218
I bought this thin piece of aluminum (I would call it bracket), cut it and bent it. It is held to the rear windshield with 3M double-sided tape.
......snip.........
Then I have one part of Velcro attached to the bracket and another part to the Mobius.This Mobius will go to the rear windshield of my minivan. In this case Mobius attached to the bracket with the piece from the suction cup mount that came with the Mobius.

looks good.

Do u have a rear door on the van that swings up (or for that matter, swings in any direction)? That was a prob that I faced when I was determining where to place my rear cam> http://dashcamtalk.com/forum/threads/2-finevu-dcs-p-car-4-cars-big-headache.4205/

If u do, how r u doing the wiring?

looks good.

Do u have a rear door on the van that swings up (or for that matter, swings in any direction)? If u do, how r u doing the wiring?
Yes, the rear door swings up. Right now I have DOD F900LHD mounted in the upper corner.

First, DOD is very bulky. Second, video quality not as good as Mobius. Third, when rear windshield is dirty you can hardly see anything on recording. That's why Mobius will replace DOD.
Mobius will go into the top spot in the middle of the windshield where wiper goes in the vertical position.
Regardin wiring, you can see in the picture.

dod-jpg.4012

Attachments

• dod.jpg
    dod.jpg
    108.9 KB · Views: 218
Thats why i want to Mount my mobius ( witch was just delivered by the mailman ) on the middle of my rear window that way it is covered by the wiper there.
I will allso add some "nano treatment stuff" to the window as dirt and rain seem to accumulate quite quick on my vertical window.

...the bottom of the rear windscreen is too far away for rear headrest mount (I don't want half the car in the picture).

Mobius A set to 720p/60 has a horizontal field of view of only 46°, so perhaps it would be ok attached to rear headrest?

i notice a bunch of the cameras are mounted without any concern for the windows defrosters lines, does that not bother the hell out of you, i have a hatch back truck, and it looks like i will be able to nearly butt up the camera to the glass, hence going between the lines, has anyone tried that...

Last edited:
Back