Rear windshield tinting %

Kwyjibo

Reaction score
Country
United States
going to get my windows tinted later this week. what's the recommended tinting % be for the rear windshield so that video wont be too dark at night for SGZC12RC? thanks

I don't have any specific % advice other than try to find a happy middle if you want a combination of enough privacy and good video performance.

The less tint %, the more visibility at night. With medium-dark tint should be fine. With limo-tint its getting worse.

The lighter in my opinion the better for rear cam use. Mines is @ 20% and it's really dark so go lighter than that maybe 35%+.

Last edited by a moderator:
In post #11 in this thread - https://dashcamtalk.com/forum/threa...-sg9665xx-a118xx-and-b40xx.11698/#post-152630 - I have a picture of how dark the tint is in my car. In post #15 there's a video clip (2nd last) of the SG9665GC captured through that glass at night.

This may give you some idea of which way to go as the '12RC' uses the same sensor but a different processor. I don't know if this is a valid comparison or not - possibly @jokiin or @Pier28 can elaborate.

RC uses an f/1.8 lens, GC is f/2.0 so on paper the RC should be fine, chipset has some influence on that result though and firmware tuning is obviously different but I guess they're in the same ballpark at least

Last edited by a moderator:
Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Gadjeel SGZC12RC 19
Back